[TOOL] XP2ESD - Create modern Windows XP installer v1.6.2

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by George King, Jan 8, 2021.

1. infuscomus

infuscomus MDL Junior Member

Apr 25, 2020
    @George King

I'm not sure how I got the error - I'm assuming the hal and ntoskrnl combinations are getting mixed up.
    also just noticed - with my fix the /kernel=ntkrnlst.exe entries still don't work but if I put /kernel=ntoskrnl.exe it works
    I don't know, all I know is that once I recopied all the hal and ntoskrnl variants across it suddenly worked.

I can send you my broken VHD if you want to take a look?

2. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    Let's continue over PM, so I can develop quick fix

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jiafei2427

jiafei2427 MDL Member

Nov 26, 2020
    I have not to try it, does the updatepack folder can use the Original hotfixes from microsoft update ?
    Also, English is not my native language

4. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    #64 George King, Jan 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    (OP)
    You don’t need to scan Microsoft update. All hotfixes that exist are included in UpdatePack and Embedded UpdatePack, using these two packs turn your XP SP3 into SP3+ aka FINAL.

Updates folder is also scaned for EXE updates, but this is only for that one, that is included - this update is unoficial repack used as preprequisite for USB3.x driver, see linked topic for patched system files in first post

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    I haven't try it on Windows 7 host yet, but it should work. Are you sure that VirtualBox installed path and free letter to assign VHD is set correctly in config.ini? Does DISM working on your machine?

6. trashe33

trashe33 MDL Member

May 8, 2016
    #66 trashe33, Jan 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    i found out why the script could not find the vhd, i was just too dumb to realise that i had to edit the config file
    however, the whole thing gets stuck at mounting vhd and nothing happens (after vhd is mounted to x)
    also, can you send me the tpc addon (no matter which language) if you still have it?

edit: wait, dism is not natively included in windows 7, right? (edit 2: it is included in windows 7)
    edit 2: only starting with windows 8, dism was able to capture windows images (previously done by imagex in the windows 7 assessment and deployment kit, i am such an idiot)

7. jiafei2427

jiafei2427 MDL Member

Nov 26, 2020
    Sorry! I miss this link.
    I find final release for lang time and thank you for your efforts!
    I have to need software translation,Because my English is terrible.

8. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    OK, so good idea is to include DISM in apps folder for next release and point related commands to use it

9. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    Also one important note for everyone

This tool is created to start from Windows XP SP3 MSDN images!

10. trashe33

trashe33 MDL Member

May 8, 2016
    wouldnt that literally rule out TPC and MCE?

11. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    As you can see they are not supported for now, so yes. Also those two editions are in To-Do list at the end of first post

12. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Are MSDN ISOs always Retail? Windows XP, unlike later Windows versions, makes a real distinction between media types. With an OEM license key, for example, you MUST use an OEM ISO. Same for Retail and VL. In other words, using Retail ISOs would be useless for me, as I have only OEM (SystemBuilder) licenses.

13. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    I have no idea, just download Windows XP MSDN SP3 ISOs and try setup in VirtualBox if it accept your key.

14. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @Carlos Detweiller

IIRC, you could download both retail and VL XP images from MSDN/Technet, although the actual availability was depended on your subscription level.

On another note, for those of us who prefer OEM (SLP) activation, @George King may need to take a look at the MULTI-OEM Windows XP DVD project by @sushil1576.

15. Gyppie

Gyppie MDL Junior Member

Aug 16, 2009
    It get stuck for me also after vhd has mounted. Nothing happens.

16. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    After mounting VHD text begins VHD mounting to assing letter from config.ini. This was mounted correctly to X? After that is performed chkdsk, set label, get installed Windows language and write fake License file for setup.

Also have you modified HDDLabel in config.ini? Have you modified .sif file for setup?

17. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    I know that it won't. Retail/FPP ISOs do only accept Retail (shelf-bought) keys, unfortunately (different pidgen.dll and lacking OEMBIOS files).

Would be nice; unfortunately, none of the project's downloadable resources are still online.

18. Gyppie

Gyppie MDL Junior Member

Aug 16, 2009
    The only thing I have modified is VHDFile in config.ini. In my last try now it mounted and captured the first image witch was WinXP Home, and it started on WinXP Home N and has been stuck on Monting VHD now for over an hour. VHD has been mounted correctly. Is chkdisk to be blamed? Is it nessesary to run chkdisk?

I ended chkdisk in taskmanager and XP2ESD started capturing the image straight away.

19. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    OK, will turn CHKDSK as option to config.ini - I added it as I found weird "bug" that mounted VHD cannot be captured until is repaired by CHKDSK

Btw, VHDFile option is here only for manual capturing. You don't need to change them as is automatically created inside \auto-sysprep\VirtualBox

20. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    FYI, you can skip the key prompt on the SP3-integrated retail and OEM variants of the Windows XP installer, as they come with a selection of trial keys.