[TOOL] XP2ESD - Create modern Windows XP installer v1.6.2

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by George King, Jan 8, 2021.

1. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. WindowsMyStyle

WindowsMyStyle MDL Member

May 2, 2018
    it works.
    but I discovered other absurd bugs
    the sysprep.inf file is absolutely not considered in the settings ...
    I can enter any data including product key but it will be requested at the end of the installation
    the sysprep does not clean anything ... the account and computer name remains stored even after installation ...
    if I create an account name and then create another one I have two accounts!
    if I delete the $ OEM $ folder, at the end of the installation an error appears and still wants the RunOnceEX file!
    I do not know if I have explained myself well, at the latest tomorrow I will show pictures.

3. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    I can help you only with RunOnceEx.cmd - I added a condition to write it only if exist. So this is improved for next too.

Other thing needs research, you are welcome if you find solution.

Next version have switch to fully skip OOBE and log into Administrator. I don't care about OOBE anymore, it's useless nowadays. User accounts can be created in control panel very easy. Product key can be changed by 3rd tools.. And in next version can be specified in config.ini for setup as this was changed due adding dynamic language settings for winnt.sif.

Wait, you are using prerelease 1.4 - Sysprep is not used anymore as it's useles - it can only break and remove installed drivers on real HW (Tested on Asus K53SV)... Turning into OOBE is done only by registry keys and this also make sysprep.inf obsolete. If you want remove user, use command net user "UserName" /delete. Maybe I can add switch for UseSysprep disabled by default.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. trashe33

trashe33 MDL Member

May 8, 2016
    Please update the AntiWPA addon in your next xp2esd release since it is from 2003 and breaks things like tablet pc keyboard on login screen

5. trashe33

trashe33 MDL Member

May 8, 2016
    #105 trashe33, Jan 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    running xp2esd builder is broken on x86-32bit as 7z.exe (not 7za.exe) was missing in the apps folder
    also running this on win7 (x86-64bit) was not better either, as files like boot.wim "could not be found"

6. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    Running on x64 Windows 10 host works without problem.

Fixed 7z file naming for next on 32bit hosts.
    It's expected boot.wim is missing as nothing can't be extracted with bad 7z call

7. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
  8. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    New improved version with buch of fixes comming soon :)

9. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    ok well I'm seriously thinking of installing WXP on my second machine (AMD) and as I never had problems with viruses and other crap if everything goes as I'm thinking of installing on the main machine also AMD only it is already Windows 10 generation if my internet that is fiber optic 100MB work right maybe I should forget the W10 LTSC or better still install the wxp in dual boot and see what happens; if by chance there is some problem is simple I open the Disk Manager and delete the partition with problem if there is a problem.correct...:)

10. trashe33

trashe33 MDL Member

May 8, 2016
    Running this with my Tablet PC add-on seems to break the Tablet PC on screen keyboard during OOBE (after first reboot in WIM install) and in oobe only (sysprep reseal issue?)

11. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    New
    Will review TPC / MCE transformations packs after v1.4 release :)

12. trashe33

trashe33 MDL Member

May 8, 2016
    #112 trashe33, Jan 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    a possible fix would be to rename softkbd and %commonprogramfiles%\Microsoft Shared\Ink\keyboardsurrogate.exe before oobe causing oobe to use osk.exe as a fallback and undoing it before the reboot thereafter
    (but maybe i just made a crappy job backporting service pack 4 changes into a german inf and you should try one of the other versions for yourself)
    also regarding the efi stuff, i think it is useless (as discussed in the first three or so pages of the thread on that on betaarchive) as it requires a firmware that can
    1) boot from 32-bit efi binaries
    2) do that in csm mode unless you manage to boot xp on gpt
    example: in vmware, you cannot boot 32-bit efi os with 64-bit efi firmware

13. WindowsMyStyle

May 2, 2018
    the idea was nice but unfortunately looking at the whole SysPrep on Windows XP (or earlier) is not as clean as from Windows Vista onwards.
    The main problem is the preparation ... from Windows Vista to create a SysPrep you go to Audit mode, so you don't create any accounts and everything remains clean.
    In Windows XP this is not possible, the account remains ...
    OK you can delete it while creating the SysPrep by going to safe mode ...
    The problem is that this project, based on the Russian SysPrep, modifies a lot of registry strings.
    It starts as administrator, at each installation I should create a new account from the control panel ... among other things, I noticed a new bug, after the creation of the SysPrep (even the simple one) when I open an account on the control panel it exits an error...
    Then the computer name is not reset as well as other things ...
    Now I begin to understand why SysPrep started spreading from Windows Vista (and especially Windows 7)
    On Windows XP it is not a real SysPrep ...
    The only advantage is the hyperfast installation ... but otherwise it has only disadvantages compared to a clean installation

14. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    Can you show what error exactly?
    All other things are known... Windows XP Sysprep doesn't allow you to move image to different HW - thats why we turned into Russian MyFactory.
    Computer name reset is in To-Do list from first release. New user account creation need ivestigate too - but is marked only for Home edition.

15. WindowsMyStyle

May 2, 2018
    surely they will be problems already known ... and maybe that's why the SysPrep has never been considered before Windows Vista (I honestly had never tested it before this project)
    The speech is very simple ... if it is for personal use ok ... but if I have to use the project to install various editions of Windows XP from friends, colleagues, work ... this unfortunately is absolutely unusable ... given the inability to have a clean configuration and not be able to change any parameters during installation.

I get an error only the first time when I click on account in control panel, but this also does it with the original version and not always ...

16. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    #116 George King, Jan 31, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    (OP)
    I know what you are looking for - full OOBE same as you can see only in standard setup.

What can be done in currect OOBE on Professional
    1) Accept EULA
    2) Insert product key - can be skipped using oobeinfo.ini instead of sysprep.inf
    3) Change Computer name - "WXPSysprep" is set as default
    4) Create new user

What is done by default on 1.4 - we can call it audit mode
    Enter desktop loged as Administrator
    - all drivers are automatically installed using SDI
    - all applications are automatically installed using RunOnceEx

Idea to investigate is - switch into OOBE after all these steps are finished - can be done in RunOnceEx as last step.
    I haven't tried it yet, but can be doable - build script, that run OOBE instead running OOBE directly.
    1) Disable Administrator auto-login
    2) Remove all others user accounts - there should exist only glitch on Home edition as original unusable Administrator is renamed to AdministratorN and new Administrator account is created. Administrator account is cool on XP Home
    3) Run OOBE

17. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    Finishing testing v1.4. A lot of changes was done. Should be released in a day or two

18. WindowsMyStyle

May 2, 2018
    here's how to start Windows XP in "Audit Mode"
    this way it will not create any accounts after installation and will avoid having two accounts after the SysPrep install Windows XP
    at the end when you have to enter the account name, just type "System"
    this way you will have only the admin

19. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    Why not use Administrator auto-login? This works good on Professional editions - only build-in accout is used and nothing new created. Maybe I'm missing something?

20. WindowsMyStyle

May 2, 2018
    Administrator auto-login, how do you do it in a clean install?