[TOOL] XP2ESD - Create modern Windows XP installer v1.6.2

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by George King, Jan 8, 2021.

1. example12345678912345678

example12345678912345678 MDL Senior Member

Dec 29, 2019
    I don't think it's possible. The install.wim file of POSReady/WinFLP/Embedded contains windows components separated by multiple folders instead of full OS in one folder. I looked into Windows FLP's install.wim file by 7-zip and it contained 12 folders, and each folder contains different components.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. hgdagon

hgdagon MDL Novice

Nov 27, 2016
    I'm referring to the way WinFLP installer does things, i.e a (more-or-less) live system that needs FBA to quickly set it up. It is way faster than the XP setup. And, maybe eventually that can potentially lead to WES2009 image support for this tool. I haven't messed with WES2009 too much, but it seems like you can only manually deploy it to the target system, but no way to create a bootable installer.

Also, any word on OfflineSysPrep?

3. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    WES / PosReady / WinFLP images will be never supported by XP2ESD. These images use crappy setup mechanism. There is also no chance to run nLite on them, so I don’t see any reason to build another conversion mechanism. What are advantages of using First Boot Agent? What is Offline Sysprep?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. hgdagon

hgdagon MDL Novice

Nov 27, 2016
    @George King Just speed. After copying the files from the install media to the hard drive, the actual setup process takes so much less time in my experience.

It's been last updated in 2010, here's the original on 911cd from WebArchive (I can't post links?). Allows to sysprep a partition without booting it.

5. mockingbird

mockingbird MDL Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Can someone help me make sense of the following in the config.ini please? The english is akin to the ramblings of a half-drunk meth addict:

Code:
    ; Path to your VHD file, keep spaces as it's no problem for Capture.cmd
    VHDFile=C:\Users\Administrator\VirtualBox VMs\XP\XP.vhd

; Don't forget when preparing image in VirtualMachine to set C:\ label that match HDDLabel here, if not Capture.cmd won't work - This setting is here also for VirtualBox
    HDDLabel=WXPSysprep
    ; Select free letter for assigning VHDFile - This setting is here also for VirtualBox
    ASSIGNLETTER=X
    None of this makes any sense, and it's why I get stuck at step 5 with three VBoxHeadless processes running.

The script is generating a 1TB VM called "WindowsXPSyprep_DISK" in the subdirectory "auto-sysprep\VirtualBox" in the "XP2ESD_v1.5.6" folder. So why all this hulabaloo nonsense, just use the darn image you just generated.

6. vigipirate

vigipirate MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2011
    tutorial video please Mr geoge king

7. ExtremelyFancyUsername

Oct 17, 2018
    Did you ever get anywhere with that tool you were making for Vista @George King?

8. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    Vista tool is not ready yet, its summer time here. I will continue in a month or so in my projects.

9. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    @George King

Hi, nice project.

May I suggest a further path/option?

A possibly way quicker option could be to download the xpmode package for Win7 (WindowsXPMode_xx-XX.exe) extract the no extension file from it. Rename that file as XP.vhd, and you are done.

You get a sysprepped XP.VHD ready to be captured (or booted with Virtualbox/VMware/Hyper-V, to do other things before the capture step)

10. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    @ WindowsXPMode_xx-XX.exe

Microsoft says ' We're sorry, this download is no longer available. '

Anyone got a link to it please ?

11. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    I mean xx-XX should be replaced by en-us or whatever language code you need.

en-us is surely archived on archive.org

12. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    I will review your steps it when I get some free time. Please be patient

13. KleineZiege

KleineZiege MDL Expert

Dec 11, 2018
    @George King

i always get an error here, i don't understand why.
    I have adjusted everything umpteen times.

Image runs 1A.

My question is why are you trying to mount from a vhd in the script?

Isn't capture-image enough ? for what a vhd to mount ?

Here is my output: Maybe you can say something about it.
    Code:
                                                                                       Started on 13.07.2021 at 20:28:48,90

[1] Extracting de_windows_xp_professional_with_service_pack_3_x86_cd_x14-80444.iso
             Microsoft Windows XP Professional DEU
       [2] Integrating UpdatePack
       [3] Adding Auto-Sysprep
       [4] Building ISO
       [5] Installing into VirtualBox
       [6] Extracting VHD
    Das System kann den angegebenen Pfad nicht finden.
    Das System kann den angegebenen Pfad nicht finden.
       [7] Capturing image
       [8] Exporting image

Started on 13.07.2021 at 20:36:10,40
     Windows XP Modern Intaller

[1] Extracting Windows 7 & 10 ISO
       [2] Building setup structure
             Copying DriverPacks
             Copying installers
             Building bootloader
       [3] Upgrading setup engine
       [4] Patching setup design
       [5] Patching autorun.dll
       [6] Compressing boot.wim
       [7] Creating skiprecovery.xml + autounattend.xml
       [8] Updating install.wim
       [9] Compressing install.esd
      [10] Building bootable ISO
                                                                                      Finished on 13.07.2021 at 20:38:31,49

Process finished, press any key to exit...

Attached Files:

14. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    VHD mounting was switched to extracting VHD then capture extracted folder.
    I will try it with same DEU image. It should be unimportant message that should be hidden. There are some files cleanup that maybe aren’t exist in DEU system.

15. KleineZiege

KleineZiege MDL Expert

Dec 11, 2018
    Thank you for the answer.

I have no problems with the image, everything works as it should, I was just worried because it didn't create a vhd even though I set it 20 times.
    Maybe it's because of VirtualBox, I used to have problems with it, then I switched to VMWare.

Would you be so kind and take a picture of the folder where the vhd is stored + config ini?