[TOOL] XP2ESD - Create modern Windows XP installer v1.6.2

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by George King, Jan 8, 2021.

1. g-force

g-force MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2016
    Now as i see development in the progress of the tool, i got to tell, what my goal was (and is), before i discovered this thread.
    I know some things about "install.wim", how to install it with a "boot.wim". I`m able to merge different "boot" and "install" into ISO, so i did with an updated "Win7" installed by a "Win10-Boot".
    I`m able to create a "WinXP_SP3_AllUpdates.iso" by myself, since i`m used to nLite since 2003. I can install this XP-Iso into VM, modify it to my dues and create a WIM from VHD - that`s what i`ve done. I`ve got a WIM with an installed XP_x86.

I run a WDS-Server (2019) in my homenet, i put a "boot.wim" from "Win10_x86" into it and the "install.wim" from XP. Started "Hyper-V" (even tests with VirtualBox and VMWare) over network and the "install.wim" was deployed to disk in seconds. In some cases i had to change the boot-order in the VM, but XP started up with no issues. Great step, i was impressed!

The real goal of mine is to put this into an ISO. So i put the same "boot.wim" and "Install.wim" into some folder, let NTLite take control. I made about 100 variations of this, but no effort. Sometimes it misses the "install.wim" (No Images were found) or it can`t find the licence file.

2. g-force

g-force MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2016
    Due to "you need 5 replies" i had to remove the link - follows...

3. g-force

g-force MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2016
    To complete the needed "5 replies":
    I don`t want to start the setup-process when the imaging is done. I want the "boot.wim" to deploy the image and at next restart i want XP to start (not install). This is possible, i do this with WDS. I do this with 7, 8.1, 10 and 11 too. Just checking hardware and logged in as Administrator.

4. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    I don't think this captured WIM will work on real HW according to HALs and Kernels. I have improved Auto-Sysprep feature for this purpose for upcoming version. So when you create WIM on your own you just need to run Auto-Sysprep to create HAL and drivers independent image which will be able to run on any real machine.

Or you can automate XP2ESD process with your previously customized XP ISO with turned off nLite touch in config.ini. Result is installable ISO. I have never tried XP2ESD deyploying from WHS. Would be great if you can try it after upcoming release.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    I decided that this is really needed feature for v1.6. I did some tests and seems good.
    Now is possible to use "Dynamic drivers folder" for any system (5.1 - 11) deployed with Standard / XP2ESD setup engine using POWIS Launcher :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. g-force

g-force MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2016
    I´m aware of this. Maybe i`ll change my mind in the future.
    Until now i`m not able to run XP2ESD without errors, i never got a working ISO. I´m german, so i used Win7, Win10 and XP DE. Maybe i`ll give it another try with all ISOs EN/US.

7. g-force

g-force MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2016
    The "WindowsXPSyprep_DISK.VHD" is always created in "...\XP2ESD\auto-sysprep\VirtualBox". I put the folder "XP2ESD" in the root of drive "C:", i also tried other partitions.
    The path in "config.ini" is completly ignored, should be "VHDFile=V:\VIRTUALBOX\WindowsXPSyprep_DISK.VHD". VirtualBox installs XP and always ends in a BSOD.

8. diderius6

diderius6 MDL Junior Member

Mar 8, 2020
    @g-force
    I had the same problem with different Bsod on german XP SP3.
    Then I try VirtualBox-4.3.28-100309-Win.exe with Extensionspackage
    and all Bsods are gone
    Dietmar

9. g-force

g-force MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2016
    I`m working on it - and i can tell you i got some effort. I had to change some things and lines in different CMD and it seems to run without failures (and even 10x faster).
    I will post all changes after some testing.

10. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    Better to wait few days for new release :)

11. diderius6

diderius6 MDL Junior Member

Mar 8, 2020
    @g-force
    I make some tests more:
    By far the best version for to run everything under XP SP3 is

Oracle VM vers. 4.2.20 with Extrapackage

Dietmar

12. g-force

g-force MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2016
    @diderius6
    I´m running Win10 x64. The problems i found are not related to VirtualBox. It`s some settings in the scripts.

13. g-force

g-force MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2016
    #1173 g-force, Jun 13, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
    @George King
    These are changes i made:

config.ini
    Code:
    ; VirtualBox setting for Sysprep
    VirtualBoxPath=C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox
    VirtualMachinePath=V:\VIRTUALBOX
    MachineName=WindowsXPSyprep
    OSType=WindowsXP
    RAM=2048
    VRAM=64
    HDDSize=10000
    HDDType=VHD

autosysprep.cmd
    Code:
    call :ReadINI VirtualBoxPath VirtualBoxPath
    call :ReadINI MachineName MachineName
    call :ReadINI VirtualMachinePath VirtualMachinePath
    call :ReadINI OSType OSType
    call :ReadINI RAM RAM
    call :ReadINI VRAM VRAM
    call :ReadINI HDDSize HDDSize
    call :ReadINI HDDType HDDType
    call :ReadINI HDDLabel HDDLabel
    call :ReadINI ASSIGNLETTER ASSIGNLETTER

"%VirtualBoxPath%\VBoxManage.exe" modifyvm "%MachineName%" --ioapic off >nul 2>nul
    "%VirtualBoxPath%\VBoxManage.exe" modifyvm "%MachineName%" --pae on >nul 2>nul
    "%VirtualBoxPath%\VBoxManage.exe" modifyvm "%MachineName%" --memory "%RAM%" --vram "%VRAM%" >nul 2>nul
    "%VirtualBoxPath%\VBoxManage.exe" modifyvm "%MachineName%" --nic1 nat >nul 2>nul

CaptureVHD.cmd
    Code:
    call :ReadINI VHDFile VHDFile
    call :ReadINI HDDLabel HDDLabel
    call :ReadINI ASSIGNLETTER ASSIGNLETTER

call :ReadINI ImageName ImageName
    call :ReadINI ImageDescription ImageDescription
    call :ReadINI ImageFlag ImageFlag

call :ReadINI USECHKDSK USECHKDSK
    call :ReadINI ADDDISM ADDDISM

SUBST X: /D

echo.
    echo  [1] Mounting VHD

14. ExtremelyFancyUsername

Oct 17, 2018
    Very hyped for 1.6 George.

15. pm67310

pm67310 MDL Guru

Sep 6, 2011
    Yes

16. gordo999

gordo999 MDL Member

Feb 11, 2019
    #1177 gordo999, Jun 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
    @George King ........I'm way out of touch. Does your new installer touch directx for XP on newer chipsets? Not that new anymore, the Intel 300 series on Asus B360M mobo. Direct3D doesn't run on my XP system.

Found part of the problem, I am running Ge Force GT 1030 and there are no drivers yet, presumably.

@diderius6...Where is all the XP modding going on? Wincert is 5 weeks old....no posts.

17. furtilizer

furtilizer MDL Novice

Nov 1, 2010
  18. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    @furtilizer Problem was your Windows 10 UEFI GPT partitioning right?