Top 11 Techniques to Extend your Battery Life

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by aero601068, Jan 3, 2011.

  1. aero601068

    aero601068 MDL Novice

    Jan 3, 2011
    17
    3
    0
    I am composing this particular article out of my personal practical experience. When i got a new laptop, i wasn't aware exactly how to maintain my battery. Due to my carelessness, the battery ceased. Now i am using a new battery which usually costs 12. 5% of my laptops price. Remember there is not exception to any company that would provide long life batteries in market. It all relies upon the best way you handle it.

    1)The first point i suggest you,Dont make your laptop continually function in direct power.Once your battery charge is 100%,disconnect the cable and dont connect it until the charge is in critical stage.Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one deep one.

    2)Prevent frequent full discharges due to the fact this puts extra stress on the battery.

    3)Consider removing the battery from a laptop when running on fixed power for long duration.


    4)Dont keep the battery inside the laptop if you are not going to use the laptop for long duration.keep your battery in fridge to maintain a cool temperature.(not freezer).

    5)Never expose the battery to high heat or freezing temperatures. Do not leave your battery in your car in the summer. Hot batteries discharge very quickly, and cold ones can't create as much power.

    6)Dont pack your laptop in a closed bag immediately after shutdown.

    7)Bluetooth, wireless network, bright screen, wireless mouse and other hardware uses up battery life when active.Turn them off when not not in use.It would drain your battery life faster leading to battery failiure.

    8)Give proper air circulation around your laptop.Always prefer a plain surface to seat your laptop and Never use laptops in sofa,pillow since it would heat the battery.

    9)Periodically Do check if there is any leakage in your battery.If you find such problem stop using such batteries.

    10)Never Remove your battery when laptop is running.

    11)Dont Buy duplicate batteries found in market.
     
  2. tcntad

    tcntad MDL Guru

    Oct 26, 2009
    4,081
    1,298
    150
    1. F***ed mu batterylife a year and half maybe
    2. Batteries like it more at around 60-70% not 5 or 100%
    3. Yep, that'll work, and keep it cool.
    6. Why not?
    7. Yep turn every crap off when you dont need it.
     
  3. w7pro

    w7pro MDL Novice

    Dec 30, 2010
    6
    0
    0
    These are some great tips. There's also a helpful on the Windows site that people can check out: windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Conserving-battery-power
    -- Ryan
    Windows Outreach Tips
     
  4. anonymous_surfer

    anonymous_surfer MDL Novice

    Jan 9, 2012
    10
    0
    0
    Thank you very much for the tips. I'll make sure to follow this from now on. :p
     
  5. hbhb

    hbhb MDL Expert

    Dec 15, 2010
    1,017
    263
    60
    another tip/
    Buy a friggin spare, look for deals if you are on the go most of the time and away from juice.

    Yeah , we all would love that batty will last 5 years, but it aint happening dawgs:biggrin5:

    My lappy runs on AC 98% of the time, the other 2% I unplug just so it gets down and charges back up, that is just once in a while .
     
  6. berryracer

    berryracer MDL Novice

    Dec 24, 2011
    15
    7
    0
    the best tip is to disconnect the battery when its fully charged and only connect it when you're going out

    I have been using my laptop like this for a year and my battery performs just like it is brand new