Toshiba A200-TH1 original BIOS anyone have it? Will PAY $$$ if works.

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by bjr72, Apr 9, 2010.

1. bjr72

bjr72 MDL Novice

Apr 9, 2010
    Hi everyone. I have a Toshiba (Canada) Satellite PSAE3C-TH108C laptop which I stupidly tried upgrading to the newest Windows XP BIOS from Toshiba download centre (don't ask).

Computer froze after 10 seconds during update, and now I have a doorstop.

I've tried every version of PHLASH. I don't have an original V1.30 BIOS backup up. Called Toshiba, they are useless and won't send me original BIOS. None of the latest BIOS ROM files from Toshiba work.

If anyone out there can send me the original and complete BIOS for my model Toshiba, I would appreciate it. If Crisis Recovery works with original BIOS, I will SEND YOU MONEY - $50 via Paypal.
    thanks

2. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
  3. bjr72

bjr72 MDL Novice

Apr 9, 2010
    Well, thanks for replying. I've already tried the latest ROM's from Toshiba. They don't work and they bricked my laptop.

Doing a quick search on the Toshiba support site, others have asked for original BIOS and they get directed to the nearest service centre. Same BS I get over the phone talking with Toshiba. I already called 2 service centres and they both want to replace the motherboard for $500. When I say, "can you re-program the SPI chip", the voice on the other side goes silent.

I've updated upwards of 30 BIOS's in my time, all through DOS, and never had a problem, even edited a few BIOS's too.

I will never buy another Toshiba again.
    Would cost me $50 for a chip off the internet if I did the soldering myself, and still no guarantee.

My last resort is to take the laptop to an Russian computer store where the guy said he can de-solder the 8-pin chip and hopefully reprogram it.

Failing that, wait a long time for used laptop to show up on E-bay.
    By then, no point to fix it anymore.

Sad society we live in - you break it, no point to fix it, just buy another one and let the garbage pile up.

4. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    #5 tqhoang, Apr 10, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
    Did you even try my extracted ROM's? I have seen reports of the crisis recovery requiring the exact 1024KB ROM instead of the ROM with the WinPhlash info tacked on the end.

5. bjr72

bjr72 MDL Novice

Apr 9, 2010
    Yes, thank you for the extracted ROM's, I appreciate the time you took to do it.

But it didn't work. The Russian guy fixed it for me for $125. He has one of those universal programmers.

6. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    No problem...fwiw, which BIOS did you end up installing?

Reason I ask is that my Mom has a Toshiba laptop and I've been thinking of modifying it.