Toshiba Help?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by cole31, Aug 18, 2013.

1. cole31

cole31 MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2013
    My sister just bought a toshiba satellite laptop from best buy. after turning it on she found out that the touchpad does not work. i have try the obvious looking for drivers (cant find), ran driver programs to detect any ( none were found), plugged in a usb mouse and that worked. so i went to device manager and found that the mouse device was missing i tried scanning and adding it but came up short. i also tried the FN- F5 key combo and that did not work either. the cursor is missing and the mouse device category in general in the device manager. toshiba cant even find the brand laptop for downloading and drivers and no disks came with it. any idea of what to do?

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    So, and now you expect help for something what nobody know what it is because you didn't post any details! Go to Best Buy Service where you bought that machine. If bought online, contact seller by Phone/Chat/E-mail to get the help you need.

If it don't bothers you, you maybe post the Details of that machine:
    • Brand
    • Model Name
    • Model Number
    • Hardware Specification and screen shot's

In that case we're maybe able to help because as we're not Prophets, we need to have some details to working with!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. abbs2002

abbs2002 MDL Junior Member

Jun 3, 2012
    Try this, take the battery out unplug the charger then press and hold the power button for about 1 minute then put the battery back in and turn it on see if that helps.

4. cole31

cole31 MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2013
    ok dude you seriously need to stop being so rude. all i did was ask a simple question. i told you the brand and model name. and i apologize for not remembering the model number and i could not get ahold of her last night when i was asking the question and she needed an answer asap as she needed it for work. i gave you as much information as i could on it.

thank you abbs2002 i will give that a try and let you know.

5. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    If it's an emergency you can use external mouse until you get it sorted if you haven't already ..

6. cole31

cole31 MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2013
    yeah i gave her a usb mouse to use in the mean time until i find out whats wrong. i was just hoping someone might have heard of the problem already. o_O thx anyways! :biggrin:

7. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    It might sound silly, but ask her if there is a small button right above the touchpad, that is ON/OFF switch for it, she could accidentally pressed it :rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    #8 redroad, Aug 18, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
    On most Toshiba laptops to disable the touch pad it is done using FN+F9 key combination or using "DISABLE" option in mouse properties .. Check to see that it wasn't done ..

Edit : Quick Dareck .. Btw Dareck did you go to the fight in Chicago on Friday?

9. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    I was still out of state when fight started, so we watched it yesterday at our friend's picnic :drunk: :biggrin:

10. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    That does happen. I made 25$ the other day just by pressing said button when a person couldn't get their wifi to work. Lol'ed so hard.

11. cole31

cole31 MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2013
    i tried that. the screen blinked and nothing came up.

12. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    Did you make sure it was for the touchpad? There are function keys on laptops that do anything from change the screen output from the lcd to external display to muting the volume.

13. abbs2002

abbs2002 MDL Junior Member

Jun 3, 2012
    This button (dareckibmw) is taking about located above the touchpad, it is there so you can disable the touchpad or enable it, pressing the button should not make the screen blink.
    power on the laptop, at the Toshiba logo press the 'F2' key to enter BIOS Setup, in setup press 'F9' to load setup defaults then press 'F10' to save and exit, then boot into Windows again, and try your touchpad button again.

14. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    Just read his first post...

If you're not seeing the touchpad in the device manager your not going to be able to use it..
    Goto manufacture website and get the drivers.

Not always located there.

15. cole31

cole31 MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2013
    yeah i tried all FN buttons lol. but the screen blinked when i pressed the f5 one i believe it was. which the picture did show a touchpad with the right and left button. but as for the button near the touchpad i did look on both top and button of pc for a button or a switch both to no avail. it was the first thing i looked for since my toshiba has the button on top of the touchpad.

16. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I believe you see something a bit wrong! There wasn't any rude meaning in my post just to point you to the required infos if you really need help!

The Toshiba Satelite Models are more than 10 or 15 years on the market and to know what you're asking help for, is just impossible by that name. At least the Model Number is a need to know! And as someone who doing services for computer, doesn't matter as friend or business, one of the first you should keep record of all the Details!

17. mackrack5

mackrack5 MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2010
    I worked on Various Toshiba Satellite C850,C50,C600,C665 models ,There is TOSHIBA Value Added Package which enable Function buttons and also it flash a flash card regarding that Particular Button when it Pressed.
    e.g-Touchpad,Wireless,Bluetooth,Screen Brightness.

18. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    ive had issues with some toshibas that would not let me use touchpad or keyboard till i flashed newest bios... with .iso boot method