Toshiba laptop bios password issue after changing hdd (W8 pre inst)

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by theredguy, Oct 10, 2013.

1. theredguy

theredguy MDL Novice

May 24, 2011
    Hi all.

I recently changed out the mechanical drive in my Toshiba Satellite C850-1LQ for a nice shiney SSD.

As with most machines that come with Windows 8 preloaded I had to sort a couple of bits in the bios to allow the machine to boot from the cd drive and then happily dropped a fresh copy of 8 on of the correct copy that will activate from the bios etc.

The install went perfectly and I was a happy camper, after setting it up I decided to add a password for the machine to boot in the bios in order to keep my machine running well.

I don't let any of the family use it unless I'm around as I seem to spend half my time clearing all the crap out of the other machines that slow them down that "no one" puts on.....I'm sure most of you can relate to that one :)

So here is my problem.........I now can't get back into the bios since putting the damn password on, when I press the power button the password box appears after a few seconds and after putting it in the machine boots into windows and I just can't seem to find the right key to press and when to get me back in :(

I have tried F2 and F12 as they seem to be the most common ones, I have tried quick presses, holding the buttons at most stages of the boot but nothing I do seems to get me in and all I want to do is to remove the password for the moment so I can have a look at 8.1.

Any help from the absolute wealth of knowledge that you all have would be very gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance.

:)

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  3. theredguy

theredguy MDL Novice

May 24, 2011
    You sir are an absolute star thank you :)