[Toshiba Problem] STOP: c000021a Win7 64

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Gethsemane, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Gethsemane

Gethsemane MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    I would just like to say this seems to be a big occurring problem for most Toshiba Satellite Notebook owners and just wanted to warn everyone that this is normal. I have a Satellite L305D-S5934 and I have gotten this error. And there seems to be no fix to it. It's either a BIOS problem or the ATI graphics card problem. Been waiting on word for the fix to the error but nothing yet.

Has anyone else gotten this error, Toshiba owner or not trying to install Windows 7 x64?

2. AtlasFBG2

AtlasFBG2 MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2009
    I have the same model laptop and get the same error when installing 64 bit version.The 32 bit version will work perfect.
    After several reboots i did manage to get the 64 bit version to install.
    Once installed i used the driver updates from windows update.I would sometimes get the error again.
    I then tried the latest drivers from ati web site.Once i rebooted with these drivers i could no longer get the computer to boot up.
    Even installed vista 64 bit and tried the windows 7 upgrade instead of a full install and same problems.
    Also tried numerous bios setings with no luck.
    I used vista x64 on the laptop for a long time with no problems.I thought windows 7 was suposed to be compatable with all hardware that worked with vista.Guess not in this case.Hopefully there will be a fix for it.If not we will just have to keep useing 32 bit or go back to vista.

3. AtlasFBG2

AtlasFBG2 MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2009
    Just wanted to say Ati has a new driver that is being pushed as a important windows update.I just reinstalled windows 7 64 bit and with the new driver so far i have no more blue screens.
    Geting windows 7 x64 to install was a chore.I used the 32 bit disk and when it got to expanding files i ejected it and put the x64 disk in and rebooted.Once it rebooted this way it started the install without blue screens.Once installed first thing i did was install ati driver update and everything is still runing smooth.
    Toshiba now has a bunch of windows 7 drivers on their web site.

4. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009

Wow, talk about jumping through hoops and performing unnatural sex acts just to get windows installed. Glad you found a solution though.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Gethsemane

Gethsemane MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    It would load Windows 7 up from startup to the windows logo and it would automatically BSOD after that. So you're saying use the 32bit cd, and switch it out on Expanding files or would it actually work before that? I'm going to have to try like you did and see what I can do. Good catch though. It sucks that the driver won't be available for Toshiba x64 users since the retail disc is already manufactured. I'm going to assume Toshiba will just slipstream/custom their own Windows 7 installations from this point forward.

There's some forums here and there that I'll update on the procedure and give you credit. Lot of Toshiba users were stumped, can't believe I didn't think of doing that though lol. I remember tricks you could do with playstation games etc. Thanks man and I'll update on if you can switch the cd before expanding files or not.

6. AtlasFBG2

AtlasFBG2 MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2009
    #6 AtlasFBG2, Oct 18, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
    I used the 32 bit dvd.It went to the windows logo then after that it starts expanding files showing xx% complete.That is the point when i ejected the dvd and put in the 64 bit dvd and used the power button to reboot.It went through the setup process again showing the windows logo and kept installing just fine.
    Normally as you know this is where the 64 bit setup would blue screen.
    I did all the windows updates and activated windows with no problems yet.
    Im going to reinstall office and other programs today.I will let you know if any bsod but so far its working great.
    I have gotten x64 to install before with older drivers and had random bsod so time will tell if the newer driver works.
    I tried changing dvds before the windows logo appears and it did not work for me.

7. Gethsemane

Gethsemane MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Well, I installed Windows 7 x64 doing that switch when it came up to the INstall or repair option screen. Took out x32 and put x64 in and then it went through and then it looked for a driver and couldn't locate it, it didn't specify anything. So I assume the initial loading of the disc up to that part loads all drivers and stuff into memory etc. Well anyways. It didn't work so restarted computer with x64 dvd in still. Well x64 install popped up without BSOD.

So I installed the first time, then copied latest catalyst drivers etc from ati.com to the computer, installed and restarted. BSOD and computer shut off after loading windows. So the new drivers from ATI's site do not work. I tried installing the windows update driver over the one from catalyst but it didn't work it seems still got BSOD. So now I'm going to install Catalyst over the windows update one and see what happens. Otherwise I'm just going to have to go without the catalyst control panel until the next batch of drivers come out.

8. Gethsemane

Gethsemane MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    #8 Gethsemane, Oct 22, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
    (OP)
    Seems this post is getting famous, I've seen it on a few other sites already. I'm still curious why the ATI driver for the x64 version crashes Toshiba laptops. Mine uses the 3100 Radeon, and m780V chipset. Seems the default driver on Ultimate is glitched perhaps for this chipset. I'm going to do the steps mentiones x32 til expanding, pop in x64; restart re-install with x64. So in fact ATI has a driver on their website, Toshiba has one on their website. And Windows Update has a driver on their site.

Quite an annoyance to figure out which one is the culprit. And which one is the safe bet. I assume the Toshiba one is the safest bet but I love using Catalyst for tweaking as well so I don't know what to do. I'm going to try all 3 and get back to you.

First up right now is Catalyst, I'll restart the computer about 10 times to test it out. Ejected x32 disk when it went to copying windows file after selecting drive to install on. Put in x65 disk. It didn't load, got c000021a error again. Hmm. Maybe I'm mistaken on when you put the disk in and out exactly?

9. AtlasFBG2

AtlasFBG2 MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2009
    Dont know if this would make a diferance or not but i moded the ei.cfg file on the dvd so i can select which version of windows 7 i want.I use home premuim.
    If memory serves me correct this is how the install goes.
    Start with x32 dvd.The setup ask for a upgrade or custom install.I choose custom.Then it ask what version i want to install.Then i think reboots and you get the windows logo.Then it starts expanding file or might be copy files.It show the percent that is complete.That is the point where i eject the dvd and pop in the x64 dvd.I think it shows some error message.I press the power button to shutdown and reboot.This time the x64 dvd continues with the install after the windows logo appears.which is when i would get the bsod when starting with the x64 dvd.
    That is the best step by step i can give you unless i format my computer and do another install and write everything down.Which i dont want to do right now since the computer is still working.
    I did get one bsod since geting the x64 version installed a few days ago.I ran the repair option that comes up after a failed boot and it gave a diferant error code.I didnt write it down but it said critical boot driver is corrupt.So there still is problems with a driver but not as bad as before.
    I was thinking maybe the leaked rtm iso might have a corrupt file causeing this problem.
    I should be geting the retail dvd in another day or so from amazon.When i do i am going to reinstall windows and see if there still is a problem with the bsod.

10. Gethsemane

Gethsemane MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    #10 Gethsemane, Oct 22, 2009
    (OP)
    Well keep me posted on your install from the released DVD. I think I'm going to stick with x32 until I'm forced to go x64. I really don't play any games on my PC besides MMOs and Call of Duty/FPSs. Single player games really don't interest me anymore. And I'm pretty positive Blizzard's new Starcraft and Diablo(sp?) won't be getting any advantage from using 64-bit OS.

I think everyone wishes x64 would go mainstream but for now it looks like a flop for the home PC user since it's mainly used for businesses/corporations computers. Maybe in Windows 8 I'll go x64 :) Unless you edit movies/photos/encode/decode stuff alot; kind of pointless. I don't do any of that.

Actually I think I know what you meant, you mean when you Copy Windows files then it expands to 100%; you mean switch the disc when it goes to say 10 seconds til Computer restarts?

11. AtlasFBG2

AtlasFBG2 MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2009
    I just seen toshiba now has a new bios version on their web site.It is now version 1.80 You might want to try that bios update and see what happens.I am downloading it now.
    No i didnt let it exapnd to 100% It may have got to 1% when i ejected the dvd.

12. Gethsemane

Gethsemane MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    #12 Gethsemane, Oct 22, 2009
    (OP)
    Aha. I kind of figured they would release a new BIOS update. This is great. Looks as if they made it after the RTM was released to manufacturing too. Well here goes nothing. Me staying x32 was due to my laptop being a pain in the ass but now I think I'll remain x64 if this new BIOS works. Good luck. I have to wait til this x32 Ultimate finishes installing on laptop to download and update ;; Damn it all to hell :p Speaking of which, not hoping but wonder if my Dell desktop got an update too; highly doubtful. So that means my Toshiba now has slic 2.1 which means.... :D

* Updated: SLP2.1 for Windows 7.
    * Added a brightness table.
    * Added support for the QL-65 CPU updates: 1) AGESA version: X4.4.0.0, 2) NB CMI-X version: .4.5.0, 3) SB CIM-X version: V4.4.0.
    * Fixed: MPEG/Audio stutters or skips when turning the WLAN switch off.
    * Added: 3 LCD panel IDs.
    * Added support for the Win7 Container ID function.
    * The CMOS Year/Month/Date default setting is changed to 2009/07/01 after a RTC battery failure.
    * Modified: English "Yes" and "No" to French in the French BIOS Setup.
    * Modified: BIOS Setup and F12 menu strings from "USB Memory" to "USB".
    * Added support for the 2009 DMI 32 and DMI 64 utilities.
    * Added support for the TVAP "Alarm power on" functions for the Win7 tool.
    * BIOS workaround for Win7 64-bit brightness (interfaces) cannot be set properly.
    * Modified: HPCP_ESP setting to fix internal HDDs and ODDs will become removable devices.
    * Updated: New P/N for the Win7 OS.
    * Updated COMPUTRACE OPROM 887 which default delay time is 3000ms.
    * Updated: VBIOS to fix a Win7 DTM "Class driver Wave test" issue.
    * Workaround for Win7 SB700 Performance Counter lag issue.
    * Added support for the 75W AC adaptor and related BIOS interfaces.
    * Added support 75W AC Adaptor with New Main Board.
    * Added support for the AC Throttle function.
    * Modified the critical battery wake up prevent value from 2% to 5%.
    * Modified the battery low blinks, battery LED value from 2% to 10%.
    * Modified the S3 Critical Battery wake up value from 5% to 8%.

Well when I had x64 working somehow I did notice the brightness of my laptop was way off. The notch before the last one on Brightness control was the brighter one, where the max brightness notch was less brighter. Weird stuff. Thank you Atlas and Toshiba :) I bet after they had their forums full of people complaining including me they had to do something.

13. Eron

Eron MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    I have the Satellite L300D PSLC8C-06N019 model.

I only see 1.50 bios where I go on toshiba support.. Am i missing something?

thanks..

14. Eron

Eron MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    Actually, I found a 1.80 BIOS, but its not for PSLC8C models.. :(

15. curriegrad2004

curriegrad2004 MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2008
    Before flashing read this!

Just to comment on this:

What ever you do, don't try to flash this BIOS from Windows. Most likely you'll just end up with a brick. That's what happened to mine. Toshiba didn't want to cover it under warranty when I brought up that they didn't even provide the user a failsafe means to flash these laptops.

I'd advise you to do an update through DOS instead. Download the BIOS update from Toshiba USA's website. It actually provides a ISO file where you can burn it and flash the BIOS from DOS using that ISO image.