Toshiba R100 - XP Pro - Unbootable... no CD? Kinda?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by yanger, Mar 5, 2009.

1. yanger

yanger MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2008
  2. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. yanger

yanger MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2008
    Sorry for not clarifying...

when the Toshiba boots up, windows starts to load drivers (ie the Windows Logo screen) and after a while, BSODs with a 0x0a or some other code - pops so fast because it's on auto-reboot, but trying to view the registry via hive access via mounting the drive to another system, doing a chkdsk to correct the corruption from the crash (no MEMORY.DMP or DUMP*.tmp are created oddly) then using Alien Registry Viewer, some of the data are garbled.. oddly, going to safemode or anything mode BSODs as well.. i've been only able to get to the desktop or a command prompt by doing a system repair using the recovery console, and doing what they said in the link i posted above (the MS one) .. i forgot that there was that other option (the secondary repair option) - but wasn't sure to try it ... will do that next...

I only got it to boot by doing the first repair option, and copying the c:\windows\rescue to c:\windows\system32\config.... read somewhere that u can do that, then access the system restore and copy good hive files to the system, reboot, do a system restore... but the system restore has a few restore points, and sadly none of them worked.

I'll get back to you if the secondary repair option works. thanks!

4. yanger

yanger MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2008
    Well, tried the OEM Home edition, and it didn't have the second recovery option.. so I'll have to dig and find the Dell OEM Pro disc.. getting late, so will try it again tomorrow.

5. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. yanger

yanger MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2008
    Okies.. i tried the repair option.. took a while to figure it out.. was confused because my Dell discs had three diskettes, a Dell CFI, the Green DELL Windows XP Disc, and the Pamphetted Windows XP Pro (with that shiney OEM CD)...

tried them all, and could not get it to work - it repaired the system, but required activation (i did do a system backup of the crash, so i could roll back if needed). heh, actually talking to the previous owner of this Toshiba, he had originally put an unconformed version of XP on it (may of been non-legit - not sure as i can't even get it to run..) .. so, trying to be legit, what can i do besides purchasing Vista since it's hard to locate XP cds.... and it IS a Toshiba with a COA under the hood..

i did try calling toshiba to get the legit recovery discs, but they do not have them anymore for the R100s (early 90s) so that is off the list of possible things to do...

the only CDs i have are those DELL cds (XP Pro), scrounged up a Toshiba A100/A105 factory restore discs (MCE05), and Gateway GT5404 Reinstall DVD (Vista Home Premium)

I'm thinking.. i could build a Toshiba Windows XP Pro with the DELL CD + OEMBIOS for Toshiba?

7. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Wise decision. This will work the best at this time. The bios probably will not be able to be modded for Vista. The slp strings are already there..