Toshiba Satellite A665D-S6051 Black Screen - Corrupted BIOS?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Mo786, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Mo786

Mo786 MDL Novice

Jan 6, 2010
    Hi,

So I have a Toshiba Satellite A665D-S6051 that has been getting problems for the past few months. It started about 3 months ago.

The laptop had started getting black screens when the power button is pressed. It would not show the boot up logo or anything. It would spin the fan for about 2 seconds then die down and sit in an idle state. It does not boot or even attempt to load Windows. This was only happening every now and then and the easy way to fix it was simply turn it off by holding the power button and turning it on again and then it would boot up Windows fine. It was more of a 50/50 chance of it coming back to the black screen.

Fast forward three months (present time) and now the black screen state has become dominate. You'd be extremely lucky to even get a BIOS boot up logo show up. I have tried removing the RAM and the HDD to see if the motherboard would start beeping in order to tell me that the RAM is missing, but nothing happened. This lead me to believe that the BIOS is corrupt since it's not even detecting that the RAM is missing.

I have tried following some BIOS recovery steps I found on this forum and other forums for other Toshiba models, but it doesn't seem to work. I tried removing the battery and unplugging the AC cord, then plugging in a formatted flash drive by WINCRIS.exe and then booting up the computer by first holding the FN+B keys then plugging in the AC cord. The flash drive would light up immediately when the AC cord is plugged in, but then it would stop. I press the power button afterwards and the fan begins working at full speed, but nothing else happens. The flash drive doesn't get accessed anymore. I have tried leaving it on for about 10 minutes, but nothing happened.

Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong? Is there another method of BIOS recovery that I'm not aware of? Am I using the wrong BIOS recovery method? I think the BIOS is a Phoenix Technologies brand one, but not 100% sure.

Any help is appreciated.

2. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    #2 tonto11, Jan 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
    Nothing specific to suggest, however if you google Toshiba Satellite A665D-S6051 motherboard, you will find a whole bunch of people offering repair services, whereas if you google Dell D630 motherboard you will just get a bunch of computer wreckers offering used boards. This implies to me that there is some kind of common fault with this board causing all these people to offer their services. I wouldn't necessarily say the bios. There was a similar prob with HP motherboards a few years ago related to a ball gate array attachment of the video chip. I had one of those to fix for a friend, that was a tough one, took 3 months

So all I would recommend is that you continue to search for discussions of the symptoms you describe, and don't necessarily jump on the fix the bios bandwagon too soon, that may not be the problem at all.

...T

3. Mo786

Mo786 MDL Novice

Jan 6, 2010
    I see. Alright I guess I will open the laptop up tomorrow and try to see if I can find anything apparent or obvious that might be the cause of the issue. I've read someone having a similar problem to mine and it turned out to be the board where the power button is located. He opened it up and twisted the ribbon cable and put it back and it worked.

4. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    Now you're talkin, chase down all the simple possibilities first, before you start looking at the more complicated ones.
    I was going to suggest that maybe it never gets to run the bios.

good luck

...T

5. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    ive had issues with toshibas.. one trick that sometimes works is take memory sticks out.. hold ctrl f2 or f12 .. forgot which but i think its plain F12 and power it on.
    then put 1 stick back in and try again F12 then power it off and retry .. might have to play with battery.

they do also flash bad bios but your case is random no post. bios update.. and they give a bad update sometimes that bricks.

try holding ` while booting.. or Fn F or Fn Esc . bios recovery procedure might get it back up.

6. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    Back to my problem with the HP in post 2
    it turned out to be not the bga video chip
    but a dead AMD cpu
    now I've got a spare motherboard for an HP DV7.

Do not leave any stone unturned.

...T

7. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    sometimes cpu socket comes loose.