Toshiba satellite BIOC flash crashed

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by mezig, Oct 8, 2010.

1. mezig

mezig MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2010
    Hi everyone,

Portable Toshiba Satellite P200-100 (PSPBOE), MS Vista.

Following a BIOS update proposed by Toshiba, the flash crashed and my notebook is dead. I know that dozens of geeks succeeded in resuscitating their dead computer thanks to many explanations, especially on this site.

On power on the computer remains black with only fan spinning.
    I tried crisis recovery, with many combinations of phlash16.exe + bios.wph + mini.dos ; these files being written on a 1.4 diskette running on a external drive bought for this purpose.
    I had some partial success; with some combinations, the A: drive remains spinning for 2 minutes, but then nothing, even if I wait 10 more minutes.
    I got the last BIOS (srae170a.rom renamed bios.wph) from Toshiba official site.
    Toshiba support is not helpful.

I would be very grateful if somebody could help me; I have a few questions:
    1- How many times the BIOS chip can be erased and rewritten (can I go on trying)?
    2- Most likely the BIOS chip is sold on the motherboard right? (I am not confident in disassembling the laptop);
    3- I don’t have a backup of the previous BIOS: if someone had one by any chance.

Thank you for your help.

2. mezig

mezig MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2010
    That's good news. I have been told that the odds are 1 in 1000 that I succed. I will go on eliminating the 999 bad solutions.

I woud'nt care paying for flashing the BIOS chip; I know it is not expensive on a desktop and easy to remove the Eeprom and change it.
    I will Google to get theoritical knowledge of JTAG. Anyway this beautiful laptop is dead, nothing to loose.

I got the self extracting file from Toshiba to be written on a diskette, it is not the same as crisis. The diskette made on Toshiba instructions has the following files :
    autoexec.bat
    phlash16.exe
    srae170a.rom
    msdos.sys
    io.sys
    command.com
    choice.com
    askit.com

Thank you very much.
    If I succeed I will say it.

3. mezig

mezig MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2010
    Success !!!

After dozens of trials, I managed to resuscitate my bricked laptop.
    The trouble came from the srae170a.rom file, downloaded from the very official Toshiba site, for exactly the type of laptop I have:
    Satellite P200-11o type PSPB0E
    I finally choose an old version of bios (version 1.3 instead of 1.7) and my expensive toy is running again.
    I followed the exact processing described in many places.
    If anyone has the same trouble with the same Toshiba, I put the files in rapidshare. I'll send the url if needed.
    Thanks to computer fixer who told me that I can go on trying.

4. Computer Fixer

Computer Fixer MDL Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Congrats!
    Good work......

5. frenze31

frenze31 MDL Novice

Jul 10, 2010
    Nice BTW, can i get the files? and i got Satellite M200

6. mezig

mezig MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2010
    I cannot post yet the URL (not enough posts), you'll rebuilt it:
    4 usual letters, colon, slash, slash and rapidshare.com/files/424613236/CrisisBIOS_Satellite_P2
    But the difficulty for you will be to find the right BIOS file; very likely it is not the same BIOS.wph file that you need.
    You can try on Toshiba site, or Google for “satellite m200 acpi flash bios”. ACPI must be the name of a BIOS data base.
    When Googling, you will bee bothered by the usual spam from sites providing updating of drivers. Never mind and be patient.

7. pattontj

pattontj MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2010
    Congrats Mezig on your success with the Toshiba P200. I too and trying to fix a Toshiba P200, but it's a Toshiba Satellite P200-RT5 (PSPB0C-RT508C). This laptop died on it's own, but I'm hoping, based on the symptoms, a reflash of the bios with a Crisis disk will fix the problem. Would it be possible for you to share with me the link you used to create your Crisis Disk? I haven't had any luck so far.

The symptoms. You press the power button on the laptop, and the blue power light turns on, but the screen stays black. The CDROM light comes on, and stays on. The HDD light flashes once. That's it. The Toshiba logo in the bottom left hand corner does NOT turn blue. I'm able to get the Toshiba into the Crisis boot mode by holding Fn+B, and when I do that, the power light turns on, but is a pink light rather than blue. Also, the Toshiba light in the bottom left hand corner does turn blue, the NumLock and the Capslock turn Green. The screen stays black. The CDROM light stays on, and the HDD light flickers once. I plugged a Targus USB floppy drive into the laptop, and started in Crisis mode, but the floppy drive is never accessed.

Any further information to that which you posted above would be greatly appreciated, especially a link to the boot disk you used, so I can try your copy of the disk.

Thanks,
    Tim

8. mezig

mezig MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2010
    Toshiba Satellite BIOS crashed

Tim,
    Sorry I didn’t see you message earlier,
    What you describe can be a BIOS problem.
    I put the files on Rapidshare, I cannot post them, so I gave the address in a hidden way:
    4 usual letters, colon, slash, slash and rapidshare.com/files/424613236/CrisisBIOS_Satellite_P2
    You have to follow exactly the process explained in the thread “BIOS recovery procedure” in BIOS Mods in this site:
    4 usual letters, colon, slash, slash and
    forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/2105-BIOS-Recovery-procedures?p=26249#post26249
    You say :” I'm able to get the Toshiba into the Crisis boot mode by holding Fn+B, and when I do that, the power light turns on, but is a pink light rather than blue”, which is an encouraging sign.
    You should remove the battery and the hard drive.
    Here is a temporary address mail (one month) if you want to write me :
    lyfocalylojikinu at tempomail.fr

9. xandercagexxx

xandercagexxx MDL Novice

Aug 11, 2011
    Same problem but I don't find solution :(

Hi,

I have one same probleme with you, about my P200-12V and I need maybe the same solution ;)
    I have tried to connect usb key and boot with this one and with bios 1.7; but nothing working.

Where do you have find the 1.3 bios, and it is working good with usb floppy disk? Where do you have plug the usb floppy disk?

Thanks in advance for your information.
    Sorry for my english, I am french. :)

10. mezig

mezig MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2010
    Hi,
    The process is described in many posts. See my message just above.
    Send me a message (click on my name), I'll send you all the explanations in French (I am from France).
    I hope I will remember all the laborious steps. I take many trials, but i'ts rewarding.
    Good luck.

11. xandercagexxx

xandercagexxx MDL Novice

Aug 11, 2011
    Thanks for your response. I don't have seen the second page :(

Its not possible for me to send you a private message because I just have 2 post here. :(