Toshiba Win8 Laptop - HD Failed - No Recovery Disks - Options?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by kgorczyn, Sep 28, 2013.

1. kgorczyn

kgorczyn MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    As you know, no COA sticker.

I downloaded MICROSOFT.WINDOWS.8.1.RTM.X64.ENGLISH.DVD but it wants a product key when I boot from it.

I thought it was supposed to take the product key that is embedded in the BIOS? UEFI is on on BIOS. Am I using the wrong version of Windows 8 DVD?

Toshiba C855-S5350
    I believe it came with Win 8 (regular) x64

I have Googled for hours, this shouldn't be this damn hard. I just want to reinstall the OS.

2. AlexAlba

AlexAlba MDL Addicted

Nov 27, 2012
  3. kgorczyn

kgorczyn MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried what you recommended, I still get prompted to enter a Product Key with the new [Single Language] Image.

Any other ideas? I can't believe these manufacturers and Microsoft have made this so difficult. And normally I'm pretty good with this stuff....

4. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    #4 endbase, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. MSDNAA

MSDNAA MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Fine if you believe, no doubt with that! But: has your Laptop and Windows 8 Sticker with Logo on downside? Only if that sticker exist you really could believe that it came with an legal Windows 8 OEM!

For the update to 8.1 you'll have to wait till October 18. 2013 for to get it legally updated. If you do it now with an Installation P Key it may could not get activated. I wouldn't take that risk because it's possible the the only way around that would be to either buy an Regular Windows 8 Package or also wait till October 18. to get it done.

For now, I would suggest that you first hand create the set of Recovery DVD's from an maybe existing Recovery Partition of your Laptop. Check the Manufacturers info How To.....!

7. kgorczyn

kgorczyn MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    Well I installed Windows 8.1 using one of the keys provided on this forum, but of course it will not activate.

I downloaded the "Leaked Dell OEM Win 8 x64" but I still get the "The Product Key Entered Does Not Match Any Of The Windows Images Available For Installation." - It never prompts me for the key just gives that messages.

The old HD won't spin up, no way I can get the factory image off of it.

Any other ideas? Toshiba Support will be worthless. They will want me to dish out $40 for their recovery discs. #1 I don't want to pay and #2 I don't all the BS Software/Toshiba Crap that comes with the factory image.

Is there a tool to extract the Win8 Key from BIOS? Any other Win8 Versions to try?

8. kgorczyn

kgorczyn MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    :worthy: If you lived near me, I'd take you out for drinks. :worthy:

THANK YOU - WORKED FLAWLESSLY once I got the product key from RWEverything!

To to summarize, I installed the Windows 8.1 Core/Pro x64 from MSDN and installed using the default key.

Once up and running (but not activated) I downloaded and installed RWEverything, got the code from the MSDM Tab. And it activated perfectly!

Thank you again! Nice and easy as I had hoped it would be (once figured out).

9. raheem786

raheem786 MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2014
    Need Window 8 RT single language OS for Toshiba laptop

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great..same problem with my lappy...i got the key some how with lot struggle,
    now I just lack of windows os with MSDN key, i dont have MSDN access to download the OS.
    Can any body share the windows 8 OS for one day so that i can download then you can remove it?

10. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009