Toshiba Windows 7 Home Premium Key question

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Greg.B, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Greg.B

Greg.B MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2009
    #1 Greg.B, Nov 3, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
    I got a Toshiba Satellite laptop; it came with Windows Home Premium installed and has the COA on the bottom. Is there an iso image I can download and use that key with? I've tried downloading the OEM iso and installed from it, but it will not accept that key for activation. I know there are alternatives out there, but is there a way to use my own key that I already paid for with the computer? Sorry I'm such a n00b at this, but I'm trying to learn!

I'm wanting to install a clean copy of Windows 7 without all the crap that comes with restoring from the Toshiba image on the HDD, which I've already deleted anyways.

2. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    COA is not OEM/SLP..It needs to be activated by phone. Use the ones in the SLP sticky. You bought the opportunity to use the OS, you did not buy the key..the EULA is not as vague about this as you may think..M$ owns the key and the OS..you own the computer.

Just use the SLP key and enjoy the "windows experience"...:eek::D:p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Greg.B

Greg.B MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2009
    #3 Greg.B, Nov 3, 2009
    (OP)
    Ok, so I can follow the directions from the repository and insert the Toshiba certificate from there, and then use any of the SLP keys listed to activate and be good to go, is that right? Will this be a permanent solution or is it detectable by MS in the future?

(I guess I am learning something...that actually makes a little sense to me!)

Also, I did run the SLIC dump program and checked my bios and it's 2.1 already so by what I read this is all I need to do.

Should I forget about the key on the sticker? Or would it work with a retail iso file...I'm confused :(

4. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Let's see, you're installing the same edition, with the same certificate and same key as what came preinstalled... not much for MS to "detect" there, your install is 100% legit.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Greg.B

Greg.B MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2009
    That's what I'm saying, sort of...

I'm installing the same edition, yes. However, the certificate is downloaded from the repository thread and matched to what the dump program showed me (Toshiba with SLP 2.1). It's not the original that was installed I don't guess.

The key that was originally installed that's located on the laptop sticker won't activate, so I'm understanding that I need to use one of the keys from the repository thread, or I'm trying to use the wrong image or something.

So if I do it that way, am I legit?

My original goal was to find a way to activate with the key that I have on the sticker with a fresh install from an image (so I don't have all the extra software crap) but I can't seem to find one that will work, or I'm doing it wrong or something. So again, should I forget all about the key on the sticker and use one from the repository? I'd like to remain as legit as possible because of using the laptop mainly for work purposes.

Again, please forgive me for being such a n00b...this is the first time I've tried to do anything like this.

6. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    If I were reinstalling the OS, I would install Ultimate. You have the Slic/cert. We have the Serials..

it is all the same for you, :cool:

The COA is useless for you, forget it. You didnt buy it anyway, it was a lease......

7. Greg.B

Greg.B MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2009
    Allright...I think I understand. Just to review then:
    1. Install from the iso image whatever version I want
    2. Install the certificate I downloaded from the repository thread that matches my bios
    3. Install the SLP key from the repository thread matching the version I installed
    Then, I'm activated, genuine, and good to go, right? And I'm pretty safe from any type of detection in the future?

8. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    #8 Myrrh, Nov 3, 2009
    yes, absolutely, you're as safe as anyone else who bought that same computer and left the default software on it. And if it's the same edition you're just as legal/legit as they are, just without all the preinstalled crapware.

related question. Does anyone really want an EBAY icon on their desktop? WTF!

9. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    I'll take 2 with fries thanks

10. Greg.B

Greg.B MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2009
    Allright then :) Thanks to your help and advice, I've managed to:

• Download the iso, delete the ei.cfg file, and added a folder with a couple of files that I wanted to keep with it for future reference (instructions, keys, and certificate)
    • Installed ultimate, installed the Toshiba certificate, and the appropriate SLP key
    • Extracted my modified iso onto a sdhc card that I can boot and install off of
    I'm showing activated and genuine, and I still have enough room left on the card to put the driver installation files :) Thanks for the help! I know what I've done isn't a major accomplishment or anything, but it's the first time I've ever messed with any of this and I feel like I accomplished alot in the last 24 hours!

11. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    baby steps..Glad to hear of your success..

It is good to do it yourself...*and now it starts*:D:D

12. Greg.B

Greg.B MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2009
    A new question. Is there a way to put the certificate somewhere on the iso and have it be auto installed during setup? I only want to do this for the certificate, and not the key.