Total n00b attempting Lenovo Process...

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Freedom First!, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Freedom First!

Freedom First! MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2009
    #1 Freedom First!, Nov 18, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
    ***Deleted***

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    No matter what question..I'll give you advice...;)
    If the compressed size doesn't fit anymore, try for another OEMTableID.....there are many different lenovo SLIC's....
    If you have got a SLIC 2.0 already present you'll need to modify the BIOSCOD1.ROM (where SLIC header is usually located)--> rename to SLAC...

Don't forget to upload all the files that I can have a look about what you have tried already
    I'm always happy if someone tries the 'Lenovo' way.;)

I wrote this post to you to motivate you..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Freedom First!

Oct 28, 2009
    **bump post count**

4. Freedom First!

Oct 28, 2009
  5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #5 Yen, Nov 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    The 'Lenovo' way is avoided by most of the users. If you have a look at the corresponding thread you'll find a few user that have reproduced that way.
    NathanAdler, justinkb, chaddawkins...

Basically you need to do always the same thing....
    Decompose the bios
    Modify the module
    re-compress it again, it must still fit..size <= original size
    copy and write it back, adjust the header (Module index byte and link addess), pad with FFh bytes if needed....

Your additional work if a SLIC is already present:
    Look at BIOSCOD1.rom for the SLIC string. (The header of your present SLIC)
    Rename it to something different (it must be capital letters and must be an undefined ACPI table name) I prefer SLAC, SLEC or SLIS......
    Then do the same procedure...re-compress it, watch out for the size...copy and write it back to orignal position, adjust the module header......

Why that?
    Well your original SLIC gets the marker data from a place that cannot be updated at an ordinary biosupdate (flash). So to replace isn't an option here.....to rename and to insert a new one is the way......

Good luck....feel free to upload your work to check....
    I suggest to you to compare your work with the already modded modules. (That way I've learnt much from the Chinese modders...:D )
    Sometimes there are some more modifications at BIOSCOD1.ROM..they are made to fit the module in again...for nothing else....

Btw: Andyp is programming a tool that will mod all these bioses the same way automatically.......

http://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/11447

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...