Total novice - is it possible to compile a complete bootable .ESD/.WIM that is missing a component?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by JsphBstwck, Aug 21, 2019.

1. JsphBstwck

JsphBstwck MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2019
    Hi - new here : )

Been a long-time user of LTSB 2016 and now LTSC 2019. Have been looking into fiddling with ISO files to try and make a modular (to my own discretion) LTSC ISO file that is capable of gaining future feature updates (before LTSC 2021/2).

Is it possible to compile a complete, bootable .ESD/Decryptable .ESD > .WIM file that is missing base UUP/.ESD components? So, for example, if you want to make your own UUP into ISO, you need to have all of the relevant UUP/.ESD files present together to make a complete, bootable .ESD.

Is there a way to edit the dependency on whether or not all base .ESDs must be present in order to compile a full .ESD compilation, or are they all part of one another, kind of like how archives can be split into mutually dependent parts?

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    LTSC stands for Long Time no feature updates and Long Time serviced with updates.

Why don't you just chop/modify a normal 1903 iso and see what the future brings (problems wise).

@abbodi1406 once released an ESD>ISO decrypter that contained an ISO>ESD script, can't find it on my hdd's at the moment esd-decrypter-wimlib-28

But the ESD won't be bootable.

3. JsphBstwck

JsphBstwck MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2019

I'm probably just going to do this. I'm going to try forcing KB updates via a known method for when versions are "not applicable," see if that works, and if not, scrap the idea, as it's just either impossible or beyond my skill-set.

Attempting to decrypt with that tool reports that the component .ESDs are "broken," so I am under the impression they are dependent on one another. Thanks for that :)!

If the aforementioned doesn't end up working, then yeah, I'm just going to modify/strip down a 1903 build with MSMG.

Thanks for the help :)!

4. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    No

only Windows Update can do that during upgrade

5. JsphBstwck

JsphBstwck MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2019
    I've read that you can brute force .MSU updates in CMD. Is this wrong?

6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009

7. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    What's that exactly?

what i ment is that WU can apply UUP set during upgrade without having all reference WIM files

8. JsphBstwck

JsphBstwck MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2019
    This would be to get what Microsoft deems "updates." Updates which are not "security updates," which they also refer to as "quality updates" (the only type of update that LTSC receives). They are all fundamentally the same install process and structure afaik, only that the containing XML and cab files don't tag LTSC as compatible.

If you Google "brute force msu install," you'll find the threads about a method of circumventing this. This was what I was meaning 8)

9. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    You can create a frankenbuild however you like, it will become problematic at some point.

the title says "total novice" but you do know frankenbuild info:thinking:

parbleu.