Touch screen for desktop...a good thing?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by elementinsane, Jan 12, 2013.

1. elementinsane

elementinsane MDL Member

Nov 10, 2010
    My monitor is acting funny. Been using it for more than 12 years and now wish to let it retire gracefully. So my question is....since I have Win8 on my PC anyways..was wondering if it would be a good idea to get e desktop touch screen. I won't b the only one using it and my dad too would be spending equal time on it. Mainly for browsing and surfing, reading and writing. No gaming at all.

So should.i go for a touch or a normal monitor..if touch, would u suggest some good brands I could go ahead with. I am not looking for AIOs but just monitors...

Thanks!!

2. BTOR

BTOR MDL Addicted

Nov 18, 2009
    i doubt the monitor comes separately but if you want a desktop touch device

1.MSI Wind Top AE2010 All-in-One PC.
    2.Sony VAIO Tap 20 Touchscreen All-in-One.
    3.Lenovo C320 20 inch Multi Touch All-in-One Desktop PC

3. elementinsane

elementinsane MDL Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Thanks all for your replies...however, I am using it only for browsing and surfing and writing. Photoshop sometimes here and there (red eye reduction, remove the unwanted cousin from the family photo:p) that kind of thing...will it be useful? Maximum reviews I've read about touch desktop PCs is negative. The ergonomics isn't good, becomes uncomfortable to swap between mouse/keyboard and monitor and overall has very little use in a home environment. Wondering what to do. If not AIOs, would only the screen also make a smart purchase?

4. S_A_S

S_A_S MDL Member

Oct 16, 2012
    For desktop only, and for the tasks you described i would stick to a normal screen.

We just bought a all-in-one pc with touch screen and i'm allready having regrets.

If you realy want the touch screen experience buy a tablet.

5. bk109

bk109 MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2012
    I second the motion - I don't exactly regret getting one touch-enabled device,but all in all it's not something I'd recommend for a normal home usage scenario. As for tablet devices,I'd add that a good choice is to go for a x86 tablet if Windows/Other desktop OS is a must have,but if going for an ARM-based device - go for an Android,as WindowsRT isn't that good of a product(yet)

6. bk109

bk109 MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2012
  7. BTOR

BTOR MDL Addicted

Nov 18, 2009
    If you build it yourself , for sure u will save 7-8 K or you get better product for same price.

8. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. elementinsane

elementinsane MDL Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Correct...pretty basic stuff is all I'm gonna do. Browsing and surfing reading and writing and oh YouTube once in a while...

How is Acer as a brand? I like the c440 and 445...

11. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    Using a big touch screen placed in front of you sometimes can cause backbone or sholder problems as the usage is not like typing a letter on a keyboard or using a mouse with moving it by placing your arm on your solid desk.
    Using it only for certain purposes like zooming in/out pictures or moving graphical parts on the screen or some scrolling the browser surely will not harm your bones.

12. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    It's really aint great on a Standard Desktop setup, Touchscreen is more or less useless as your Monitor is likely to be placed too far away (properly) for fast Touchscreen use, but on Laptops it's just a few cm so Touchscreen on a laptop is quite fabulous as the touchscreen use is faster in most cases than pointing the cursor with the touchpad and it won't strain your arms either :D
    There are still scenarios for Touchscreen on Desktop, but many people will not run into these scenarios ever.. so they have a Touchscreen monitor that never gets touched ~.~

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Using Touch Screens for some years already. For special purpose, sure! Most I'd used for POS Software for Retailers and Restaurants/Hotels. for the later we change quite a lot from PC to Tablet while the Mainsystem still is running on Server. POS is till today the main use for Touch screens which will not change in the near future, me think.

Personally I use touch screens also for Graphic editing. It's faster and more precise for what we have to, whit we I mean my employees and myself in my company. The screen isn't stand in front, it down on Table. Work on it is a bit similar to work with an Digitizer. So there isn't any hurt for our bones!!

14. elementinsane

elementinsane MDL Member

Nov 10, 2010
    #20 elementinsane, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
    (OP)
    Thanks all u guys...I have zeroed down on Lenovo c340 and C440. Will take my old man to the store next week and pick one :p

Reading all the responses here and around the net, they ARE useless. So wont be going in for a touch as it doesn't really justify that price TBH.

Also is a AIO worth the cost... What are the benefits of having an AIO over a desktop?