Touchscreen driver for Win7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Deleted member 1321202, Jul 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. #1 Deleted member 1321202, Jul 17, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2020
    For all the years I've been using this laptop for, I've now grown to the dislike of using a mouse (and I have my own reasons) and I just want something to make my computing life a bit easier... if such thing as a touchscreen driver for Windows 7 exists. I'd find out about it via Google but I'd rather ask the community for guidance and support. I wouldn't even use the laptop's touchpad as I've always been hopeless with it.

I could always control my system with purely the keyboard as an alternative, perhaps even for now.

Also, just if anybody asks, I have a Dell Inspiron N7010, if that means anything.

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #2 kaljukass, Jul 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. foxyrick

foxyrick MDL Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Are you asking for a touch screen driver to use with the screen on the N7010? I'm pretty sure that laptop doesn't have a touch screen unless there's a model I haven't seen.

Or are you using an external monitor? Like the Dell ST2220T, for which you can find Windows 7 drivers.

Would a trackball be of use to you, instead of a mouse? Or a vertical mouse?

4. I actually got myself a trackball mouse recently (more specifically, the Yumqua Y-01 handheld mouse) but I found that very awkward to use, after once thinking that it'd make things easier. Never heard of a vertical mouse though and had to look that up. How is it different to a standard mouse though, in terms of using it? And no, I just use the laptop's own screen.

Also @kaljukass, no drivers are available for download from that link.

5. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    How not. There are all 45 original drivers for this computer and also their older versions - all 100% available and downloadable.
    I even personally checked and everything is available and downloadable.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Well, this is strange... while the drivers weren't listed on that site, they did when I opened it under a private window :confused: From this, I've located the Dell ST2220T Touch Monitor Driver and downloaded it. I'll install it whenever I feel like it and see how it goes. Thanks very much.

7. foxyrick

foxyrick MDL Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Bryn89, that laptop does not have a touchscreen (hardware), so a driver is irrelevant.Edit to add: The ST2220T is a separate monitor, the driver is not for the laptop's own screen.

I've not used a vertical mouse but they are supposed to be better for your wrist; I can certainly imagine that it is. I'm starting to suffer wrist/nerve problems from decades of mouse use but still cannot give up my Swiftpoint Z mouse.

Another option is a 6-axis controller, like the 3Dconexion spacemouse I use for CAD stuff. I don't find it can replace a mouse for me, but it is possible to navigate fully using one if you want. It might take some fiddling with the config files and maybe autohotkey, depending on the current state of 2D mouse emulation in the driver and your OS.

8. Well the site said that the driver is compatible with my laptop model. Unless, it may be compatible only when it has that monitor set up, which obviously I don't have.

9. foxyrick

foxyrick MDL Member

Aug 25, 2011
    That's exactly it. The driver is for the additional monitor. You do not have touch screen hardware on your laptop screen.

10. Oh well then... thanks for clearing that up. If I was to get a new computer in the future, I'd definitely invest in a touchscreen one. But for now, I'll just have to get used to my mouse always sticking to the surface of this desk whenever I drag it. Maybe I should get a mouse mat even though I was fine without one for years.

11. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    A mouse pad / mouse mat for optical mice will increase the contrast for the mouse's optical sensors and fix the hanging that occurs if the sensors cannot correctly detect movement on pattern-less surfaces. I remember that my first optical mouse only functioned in conjunction with the included reflective grid mouse pad, and nowhere else.

Also check the sensor itself, sometimes dust or animal fur can get stuck in there and confuse it.

12. I often check the sensor for any dust but, my mouse is only sticking because of the rubber feet of it (and I can't say if it's the temperature of my room that's causing it, therefore making the surface of my desk feel... cold). It's more of a problem with a Logitech B100 and even the Dell MS-116 (the one I currently use), but strangely not for the HP X1000. However, that has a problem of its own where although movement is smooth and great, it's struggling if I ever have to move upwards. Even more strange, it didn't even do that when I took it in as a spare for my place of work last year :|

One time with the first Logitech B100, one of its rubber feet came off and that helped improve its movement around. I even tried to peel off one of the feet of the second Logitech mouse myself but to no avail. Yes, I'm desperate.

13. foxyrick

foxyrick MDL Member

Aug 25, 2011
    You can buy stick-on teflon feet for mouses... might help.

14. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    I also use Logitech B100, many years now. Movement is smooth and, after years of use, the feet are completely gone.

15. Just as a little update, I switched my Dell mouse back to the Logitech one - only this time with the front rubber feet picked off and I'm pleased to say that I'm enjoying much smoother movement with it.

And with the fact that I can't really can't have a so-called touchscreen driver as what others have said, it's probably best to end the discussion. I thank all your support and understanding anyway, even though I was rather cranky over the issue at first.

@Yen @ancestor(v) lock please :)