Traffic Shaping?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by DeathStalker77, Apr 25, 2010.

1. DeathStalker77

DeathStalker77 MDL Addicted

Nov 8, 2009
    Win7x64Ult with Comodo PFW running. Is there any way to prioritize HTTP traffic over TCP/UDP? (So browsing is not as affected by other online activities)

Thanks!

2. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I once heard of a program called cFosSpeed, it's said to work pretty good. You could download the trail version online and check it out I guess.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Stormcrow

Stormcrow MDL Junior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Er, but HTTP traffic IS TCP, if it's from a normal webserver listening on TCP port 80...

--
    SC

4. SoLoR

SoLoR MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2008
    Ill try to keep it simple. First traffic shaping is tricky and linux with iptables/HTB queue is your best bet (its probably possible in Windows as well with QoS, google it if noone knows exactly how), but i but keep in mind forget on any "proper" shaping of incoming traffic. Traffic shaping works on princip of queuing packets (some even on droping so they are resended) so once packet already gets on your computer/home router there is no point of queing(droping) it, since your computer can use it. So to make incoming traffic shaping efficant it must be done BEFORE it reaches your home connection and it must be done by your ISP. You can however traffic shape outgoing traffic efficantly, but doubt that is enough for you.

5. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I find the best setup is to be the man in the middle. Have a system connected directly to the router and then have all systems networked to that main computer so you can manage speeds, bandwidth and other things depending on the software you use. I used to personally use this setup before I started hijacking wireless networks around the area ;)

cFosSpeed does a good job at prioritizing traffic so that you can game and download at the same time without having allot of lag in the game. Thats just one example but thats all the traffic shaping you can do on your own machine anyway.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. cyclops

cyclops MDL Senior Member

Sep 10, 2007
    Get ur self a Buffalo or a Linksys router and use DD-WRT Firmware on it and use the QOS.

7. 2centsworth

2centsworth MDL Senior Member

Feb 12, 2008
    Only cheap way to QOS HTTP over all other protocols is either one of the newer (low cost consumer) routers with QOS or one of several open source firmware (DD-WRT as noted above, Sveasoft which costs money but offers support) upgrades for common consumer routers (like Linksys or Buffalo which I've really come to like Buffalo hardware) that offer QOS. I've worked with Sveasoft QOS in the past and it can allow HTTP over other protocols. Keep in mind HTTP traffic contains both TCP and sometimes UPD packets so most QOS variables are IP address/protocols/time. More advanced traffic shaping is common to enterprise routers and managed switches....just 2 cents worth today.

8. barny451

barny451 MDL Novice

Jun 5, 2009
    Try netlimiter (can't post link, just add .com) because it might be the 'Ultimate Bandwidth Shaper' (according to their website), runs on Windows :D

HTH
    barny

9. tziman

tziman MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2009
    I'm using a Linksys WRT54GL with Tomato firmware. It works very well for QoS but if you're internet connection's downstream speed is faster than 25 megabits then it may not be the best solution. In that case, if you have a spare computer laying around then you can run a full-blown Linux firewall distribution for traffic shaping. Examples include IPCop, Untangle, ZeroShell, Smoothwall, m0n0wall, and others. I'm sure the other posters in this thread can suggest which distribution is the best.

10. JHughes

JHughes MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2010
    I use cFosSpeed, it works well. Regarding QoS, you can turn it on in your router, but true QoS can only be done by your ISP.