Transfer MSDM

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Ranmamez, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Ranmamez

Ranmamez MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2009
    Good day everyone.

So I happen to have a notebook with Windows 8 preinstalled and a new desktop pc without anything yet, and this is what I want to do now: I need to install the OS and transfer the Windows 8 notebook license into the desktop pc, so, reading around, I found that the MSDM table into the ACPI section is what I need to move (or so is what I read actually, hoping I'm not wrong).
    Can anyone tell me if it's doable and what software I need to do that?

P.s.: I couldn't post in the subforum for requests, why?

Thank you!

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    MSDM is not needed for anything. Just read the key from it & if you did not use it elsewhere (like on original notebook ie bacause one installed Win7 before even switching on & activating original Win8) you then can activate on diffeernt hardware

sebus

3. Ranmamez

Ranmamez MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2009
    #3 Ranmamez, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    (OP)
    Yeah ok, I already did that, I've read the key with rweverything, used and activated it on the desktop pc, and it works, but I asked that for 2 reasons:
    • I wanted to transfer the msdm module just to be sure to not lose the key, since I copied it only on a txt file, and evreything could happen, I feel more secure with the key fixed in the uefi;
    • Then I want to at least remove the original key or the complete msdm module because I have to sell the notebook pc, but not the license.

4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Write it on a piece of paper....

You could mod the BIOS (maybe) to remove the table

5. Ranmamez

Ranmamez MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2009
    Well, ok, at least this: how can I do that?
    I'm sorry to ask but searching on the forum is getting me too much results and I can't figure where to stick to get the info I need.
    Thank you.

6. Ranmamez

Ranmamez MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2009
    Would you please answer me? Would anyone please answer me?
    I just need to be pointed to the right thread, nothing more, nothing else, if even there's one, obviously...

7. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    What? (to everything in this thread) lol
    Afaik, OEM:DM key is tied to hardware (hardware specific) and you can't transfer anything...

8. Ranmamez

Ranmamez MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2009
    I want at least delete the original key on the MSDM module!

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I would say legally you do not have the rite to sell the machine without the licence i,e, OEM:DM it is tied to the machine not like retail. But even then you would need to learn how to mod your own bios or request bios mod but you may need to also upload rweverything report.

Also better hope bios mod doesn't fail or you brick machine. You would be far better selling machine in original state and use money from sale to buy windows 8.

10. Ranmamez

Ranmamez MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2009
    No, I have the legal right to sell the machine without the license, in my country the software can't be bound to the hardware even if it's sold together, anyway this is a legal matter and I asked for a technical solution.
    About the rweverything report, does it shows sensible data?

Well, naturally I'm asking for a quite secure procedure to remove the key, I guess that overwriting it would be enough for me as much as it's not there anymore.
    About the suggestion: no way, I'm already using it and activated it to my m$ account, changing it would mean a mess I don't want to go through, besides I'm offering the laptop at a discounted price just because I don't give the license (that, as I said, I need).

11. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    The rweverything report will contain your MSDM OEM:DM key and that is tied to the hardware that's what I meant.
    You would need to ask proper procedure to edit out your key from rweverything report, before you upload it for bios mod.

12. Ranmamez

Ranmamez MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2009
    Hmm, ok: from what I've read around, I need to get an original bios update file to mod it, isn't it?
    So, since I can't find any one of it, I hope that I can dump the running one, but is there a way to do it?
    The notebook is a Sony Vaio so maybe I should ask for help in the proper thread under bios mod request subforum, right?

13. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Correct :good3:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. Ranmamez

Ranmamez MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2009
    Very well, thank you all for the answers ^_^

15. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  16. Ranmamez

Ranmamez MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2009
    There isn't any bios file for updates, and the computer is a Sony Vaio SVF1521A7E (W=White).

Ok, how can I do that?
    How can I determine what type of bios/uefi does it have, so to use the correct tool to dump it?

I tried to read those threads but I'm getting confused and I'm not even sure they would apply to my case.
    Btw, I tried to post in that thread for asking help but nobody answered me, even after so much time!
    What should I do?
    Come on, please, somebody help me! :sad: :weep:

17. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  18. Ranmamez

Ranmamez MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2009
    Yes, I saw it, thank you very much.
    I'll keep going on there.
    Bye.