Transforming a SLP CD from one language to another... keeping the SLP key

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by hamsterx, Aug 18, 2009.

1. hamsterx

hamsterx MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2009
    I have a Fujitsu-Siemens notebook. This PC has XP Home OEM, *portuguese* edition, as factory install, by SLP method. I tested the OS recovery CD supplied with this PC, and it works exactly like the unattended SLP CDs described in this forum. No activation needed. Perfect.:)

Well, my problem is that I'm a bit old-school and I feel uncomfortable if my computer has an OS not in *english* language. So here comes my question: is it possible to build a new SLP CD for the installation/recovery of Windows XP Home, but in english language and still using the SLP OEM keys which came with my notebook? :D

I tested a "generic" english OEM CD, with a unknown OEMBIOS files set. I copied the OEMBIOS and related files (pidgen.dll, setupp.ini, etc) from the portuguese CD into the english CD. Next, I installed this new CD using the SLP key from the sticker in my notebook, but in the end it still asked for activation. :confused:

Is this a feasible procedure? What is wrong?
    Should I copy all the OEMBIOS file set from the portuguese CD, or just the four OEMBIOS files?

2. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    The key on your notebook is COA. Retail or NON-SLP OEM. It is not royalty key and will not activate offline. Yo need to use an English key now, or get the .SIF file from the CD and use the key in that..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. hamsterx

hamsterx MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2009
    Indeed, the key in the SIF file within the original Fujitsu-Siemens portuguese CD was different, not the same sticked to the bottom of the notebook!:eek:

My other machine, a brand new Asus eeePC 1005HA, did not activate offline, too. Now I see why... :p

Shame they do not allow customers to choose their desired OS language. And I suppose can we can neither ask them for an alternate recovery cd...
    It's just a lot of extra work to reinstall everything... :mad:

Many thanks, your reply cleared out a lot of confusion in my head! :p