Transplanting app from regular 1607 build to LTSB

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by superciliousdude, Aug 25, 2016.

1. superciliousdude

superciliousdude MDL Novice

Dec 21, 2012
    Hi,

I noticed people have managed to get the Windows Store app running on the LTSB version, and simple scripts have been created to do so automatically installing a number of appx and/or appxbundle files containing the Windows Store app and its various dependencies.

There is however very little information on how these appx and appxbundle files were created. I am not interested in the Windows Store and I have no desire to install it into my LTSB system, however, I am very interested in the "Connect" app which allows me to project any Miracast capable device onto any other such device.

Can this be done? If so, how? How were the Windows Store files and scripts created?

Thanks

2. dobbelina

dobbelina MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    They weren't created, they were copied from Win 10 version where store is included.
    Don't know what dependencies "Connect" has, but i'd assume it can be installed (And copied) the same way as store.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. superciliousdude

Dec 21, 2012
    I've recently learned from here[1] where those file came from. Sadly, the Connect app is not among those files, so I don't know how to proceed. Hopefully someone on here has an idea.

[1] hxxp://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/50572-MSMG-ToolKit?p=1269827&viewfull=1#post1269827
    (I can't post links yet)

4. dobbelina

dobbelina MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    #4 dobbelina, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    That one you posted a link to should have it?, it's "Anniversary edition".
    D/l it, then from the install medias "Source" folder copy install.wim/install.esd file and mount it.

Once mounted you will find the package in here:Program Files\WindowsApps

Package name is:Microsoft.Appconnector_8wekyb3d8bbwe (I think?)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. superciliousdude

Dec 21, 2012
    No, Appconnector is something else (not sure what), but its not the Connect app. In fact, the Miracast client files do not appear in any of the WindowsApp folder contents, they live in the MiracastView directory in the Windows directory instead.

Over in the MSMG thread, xinso posted a link to the Microsoft-PPIProjection-Package cab files. I'll try those out.

6. superciliousdude

Dec 21, 2012
    I can confirm the files posted on the MSMG thread work like a charm! The Connect app is fully functional and even has the system integration into the Settings app. I only tested the x64 version, but I expect the x86 will work too for those who want it.

7. WardocsRevenge

WardocsRevenge MDL Expert

Jan 13, 2012
  8. superciliousdude

Dec 21, 2012
    WardocsRevenge, can you please be more specific? The thread you linked does not related to the Connect app, which is not located in the WindowsApps folder, its a "special" app like the Settings app and lives in the Windows folder. It cannot simply be added by powershell like the others can.

9. zamica

zamica MDL Member

Oct 1, 2012
    I wonder why some try to add something that is already built in some versions and others get rid of them
    if you want app and store then there are various built in isos if u want to get rid of app and store , there is ltsb versions?:confused:

10. superciliousdude

Dec 21, 2012
    I want LTSB for the long term support and control over updates - I don't want to have to deal with my system breaking things when the next Windows forced update comes. I do not want the Store or the other built-in apps, but I do want the ability to mirror my phone and tablet PC to my other machines. This is why the LTSB build + the connect app works perfectly for my use case. I have it working now, and I am making final tweaks to the image before I sysprep it and deploy the WIM to my various machines. Quite happy with the result. :)

I did not intend to update from the 2015 LTSB originally. My plan was to skip the 2016 update entirely since the 2015 LTSB is supported till 2025 waiting an extra year was no big deal... but NVidia does not support build 10240 with their drivers for the GTX 1080 - so I was forced to upgrade/downgrade.