Trealer popup in Chrome

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by digitalbear, Sep 20, 2016.

1. digitalbear

digitalbear MDL Member

Oct 23, 2012
  2. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Is this a Windows 10 issue?

Anyway, it was probably attached to something you installed. Maybe you didn’t untick the box when installing or it didn’t ask you at all. Try to remember what you installed just before it started appearing.

You can now run scans with as many tools as you can. Include the free Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware. If necessary, do it in safe mode. HijackThis may also locate it.

3. digitalbear

digitalbear MDL Member

Oct 23, 2012
    I cannot say if this is a Win10 specific issue, but it is appearing on multiple win10 pc's.

I also try to not just click on the next button as the sneaky software usually put "install other useless software" as marked by default.

Not keen on installing other software just to find the root cause, I was hoping for a more manual way - that said it also is not appearing in the Task manager startup list.

But it seems the ones you mentioned is probably the best option

4. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    There are tools that may locate where it emanates from but this does not mean you can get rid of it easily. Look also in TaskManager processes. There are also more advanced TaskManager replacements that also evaluate the risk of each process, even google for it.

If you understandably are not keen on installing other software, bear in mind that there are several portable anti-malware tools, including SuperAntiSpyware and HijackThis I mentioned, which should pick it up, but you may need advice before proceeding to delete anything HT finds, as you may damage the system. Others, like Malwarebytes, are useful to have anyway for the future.

So,unless someone comes up with a simple manual solution, before going into deep waters yourself, it would be more straight-forward to run (portable) anti-malware tools. That's what they are for.

5. digitalbear

digitalbear MDL Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Agreed portable apps the way to go.

Just tried both Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware and not surprisingly only cookies was found :( - nothing else.

6. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012

That means that you computer is infected so clean up ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    The other day, I had a website that kept spawning and reopening itself (It would relaunch IE and display itself). Is this what's happening to you?
    It happened to me on Windows 7 with IE.

Try using a different browser, and, as everybody already said, scan your machine to make sure that no malware exists.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. digitalbear

digitalbear MDL Member

Oct 23, 2012
    No it just pops up like once or twice a day - it is certainly not as aggressive as you have described.

I will try the HijackThis for a solution

9. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #13 PhaseDoubt, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    Dunno. Maybe you unknowingly set it as one of the pages to open automatically when Chrome starts. Extension maybe you weren't aware was installed by a less than forthcoming website? Plugin of some sort?

10. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    • if it happens only in Chrome, clean You Chrome User Data
    • if it happens twice in day and happens at a specific time, remove these Scheduled Tasks
    • if it happens also witht some other browsers, clean also these browsers user data
    Remember, that You should also clean up all syncronized data from web, if not cleaned, they come back anyway. It is necessary if You uses online syncronization.

11. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011

Ah ... good points!

12. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Chrome is just the IE6 of this decade. A trash collector and a privacy nigtmare.

Just remove that crap from your PC and get something decent. Personally i suggest Vivaldi, but practically anything else is better than Chrome, Opera, Maxthon, Iron, Otter, Qupzilla, Palemoon and so on

13. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    LOL, you been smoking that weed again!

14. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

I guess that you after the brainwash from MS and Google wouldn't notice the difference, whatever you smoke. :D

15. digitalbear

digitalbear MDL Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Thank you all - I have a couple of options to try now :rolleyes: