Tricking Windows into thinking I have a TPM module

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by amarildo6966, May 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. amarildo6966

amarildo6966 MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2016
    #1 amarildo6966, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016
    I've been facing a problem with EMET that, in order to enable DEP system-wide, I either need BitLocker running/encrypting (which I don't want) or I have a TPM module enabled.

I don't want to run BitLocker, and my motherboard is so old it doesn't have a TPM module/chip.

Since it's easy to inject SLIC tables into the BIOS, I think it should also be easy to fool Windows (or my BIOS) into thinking I have a TPM chip.

Either that or to trick EMET into thinking I'm running BitLocker.

Any help?

2. WildByDesign

WildByDesign MDL Addicted

Sep 8, 2013
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. amarildo6966

amarildo6966 MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2016
    Yeah that's me :)

That doesn't work anymore.

4. WildByDesign

WildByDesign MDL Addicted

Sep 8, 2013
    That's unfortunate. I remember you worked so hard to find that fix in the first place, a good amount of effort. So by the sounds of it, Microsoft has done something to screw that up now. Was there a recent update to Windows that might have caused this underlying change?

By the way, I thought you had stepped away from Windows for a bit there. lol Anyway, hope all is well. I hope that you are able to find a fix for this issue. I have a feeling that Microsoft will drop EMET now that Windows 10 is out, sadly.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. amarildo6966

amarildo6966 MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2016
    Thanks.

I'm not sure. I did move away from Windows, until 2 days ago when I came back. So I'm not sure if there were any updates that messed things up in this regard.

Well, all except this problem :p
    Oh, and a problem where my keyboard freezes on every boot, forcing me to remove it and then plug it back in. Interestingly enough, Microsoft told me it's a problem with my keyboard. Yeah, it works on every edition of Windows prior to 10, and on every Linux distro out there.

Sadly, I think they will drop EMET. They're very confident that Windows 10 is secure enough so that it doesn't need EMET [1]. I personally think EMET is a very nice program that allows for controlling each program individually, but if Microsoft's drops EMET then their attitude will be of "if it doesn't work with 10 then buy a different program that does".

[1] theregister. co. uk/2016/02/04/emets_win_10_revival_could_be_its_last_as_os_bakes_into_infosec (remove space)