Trouble creating Windows 10 All In One ISO file (doesnt fit on standard 4.7 Gb DVD)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by lexiyuri, Aug 8, 2015.

1. lexiyuri

lexiyuri MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2015
    #1 lexiyuri, Aug 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Hi Everyone! My name is lexi and recently I´ve downloaded Windows 10 in Home and Pro versions, both 32 and 64 bits, pristine and untouched versions, directly from microsoft, and I want to build a Win 10 AIO for fresh installation purposes. Windows 10 Home x86 was chosen as the DVD base, after that I copied the install.wim files for each one of the versions in my hard disk partition named E.

Later, I installed the Windows 10 ADK Kit (just the deployment tools for run dism, imagex and oscdimg) in order to integrate all the four separate .wim files into a single solid .wim file for the DVD. Later, in the cmd administrator rights, i ran the following lines for get the single wim

Code:

Dism /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:E:\Windows10Root\Win10-Pro-x32\install.wim /SourceIndex:1 /DestinationImageFile:C:\Windows10Root\Final\sources\install.wim /DestinationName:"Windows 10 Pro" /compress:maximum

Dism /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:E:\Windows10Root\Win10-Pro-x64\install.wim /SourceIndex:1 /DestinationImageFile:C:\Windows10Root\Final\sources\install.wim /DestinationName:"Windows 10 Pro" /compress:maximum

Dism /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:E:\Windows10Root\Win10-Home-x32\install.wim /SourceIndex:1 /DestinationImageFile:C:\Windows10Root\Final\sources\install.wim /DestinationName:"Windows 10 Home" /compress:maximum

Dism /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:E:\Windows10Root\Win10-Home-x64\install.wim /SourceIndex:1 /DestinationImageFile:C:\Windows10Root\Final\sources\install.wim /DestinationName:"Windows 10 Home" /compress:maximum

After this process i got surprised because my install.wim is over 4 Gb in size (exactly 4.15 Gb) and obviously this doesnt fit in a standard 4.7 Gb DVD.

Even I tried using a similar command called imagex with the following synthaxes

Code:
    Imagex /compress maximum /export E:\Windows10Root\Win10-Pro-x32\install.wim 1 C:\Windows10Root\Final\sources\install.wim "Windows 10 Pro" 

Imagex /compress maximum /export E:\Windows10Root\Win10-Pro-x64\install.wim 1 C:\Windows10Root\Final\sources\install.wim "Windows 10 Pro 64 bits" 

Imagex /compress maximum /export E:\Windows10Root\Win10-Home-x32\install.wim 1 C:\Windows10Root\Final\sources\install.wim "Windows 10 Home"

Imagex /compress maximum /export E:\Windows10Root\Win10-Home-x64\install.wim 1 C:\Windows10Root\Final\sources\install.wim "Windows 10 Home 64 bits"  

The result is the same for both processes: an install.wim file with 4.15 Gb in size!!!

Just in case of doubt i verified if the wim file included all the 4 separated wim with this command line:
    Code:

dism /get-wiminfo /wimfile:"C:\Windows10Root\Final\sources\install.wim"

And i perform a second verification with this similar one:

Code:
    imagex /info "C:\Windows10Root\Final\sources\install.wim"

In both cases, the commands told me that each installation has an index number from 1 to 4 in the following order (Windows 10 Home 32 bits = 1, Windows 10 Pro 32 bits = 2, Windows 10 Home 64 bits = 3 and finally the Win 10 Pro 64 bits with 4 as index number)

Later, i ran this command line for get the iso with udf codification and optimization in size

Code:
    oscdimg.exe -lWin10-AllInOne -m -o -u2 -bC:\Windows10Root\Final\boot\etfsboot.com C:\Windows10Root\Final C:\WIN10AIO.ISO

Finally after using oscdimg, the created iso image run flawless during test on virtual environments, letting select which of the four operating system versions you want to install.

Of course you can say this is not a problem for a 8 Gb USB Flash, but I need to make my iso fit into the 4.7 GB DVD. Guys, can u help me to deal with this? I´m tired to do this once and once. What i´m doing bad? How can i compress a little bit more the final install.wim file and indeed, the final Win10 AIO iso?. Thanks in advance.

2. scaramonga

scaramonga MDL Senior Member

Oct 27, 2012
    So DVD's are still around.

3. joluboga

joluboga MDL Member

Dec 4, 2011
    4.7 means 4.70 GBs and that's plenty of space for a 4.15 GBs file

4. lexiyuri

lexiyuri MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2015
    No, it really doesnt fit. Watch this. 4.7 Gb is a theorethical size. Indeed real DVD sizze is around 4.4 Gb, and my file have a weight of 4.6 GB!! physically doesnt fit. Nero Express told me that

5. joluboga

joluboga MDL Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Got it! Isn't there a way that you can convert the wim file into an esd compressed file?

6. Simpuhl

Simpuhl MDL Senior Member

Aug 8, 2012
    That's why we boot to USB... get with the times!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. lexiyuri

lexiyuri MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2015
    :rolleyes: :mad:

Guys, please, comment if you wanna help.

8. bobbee12

bobbee12 MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2009
  9. coromonadalix

coromonadalix MDL Senior Member

Jul 21, 2009
    #9 coromonadalix, Aug 8, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
    yeah why not use dual layer dvd --- it's what i use for updated / slipstreamed iso's ... they now go beyond 4.7 gigs with all the added M$oft updates.
    An dvd reader can read dual layer (dvd-DL)

And ditch Nero, use cdburnerxp free and can do bluray too. And no limits too.

10. lexiyuri

lexiyuri MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2015
    Suppose i'm doing all this well, as you said, this means the increase is due to MS updates added at last hour, so, that is the additional space in the iso dvd.

Is there a way to remove or clean the final install.wim in order to fit in a standard DVD?

11. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    USe esd format

12. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
    #12 xinso, Aug 8, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
    Try

1. Export images to install.esd with /Compress:Recovery

2. Keep the ISO content as

\boot

\efi

\sources\sxs (optional for NETFX3)
    \sources\boot.wim
    \sources\install.esd
    \sources\setup.exe

\bootmgr

\bootmgr.efi

13. DioNZB

DioNZB MDL Member

Jun 23, 2013
    Convert your WIM in ESD
    ESD = WIM in High compression

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. lexiyuri

lexiyuri MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2015
    Hi guys, im so sorry to tell you that Dism command for convert wim to esd doesnt work. It says Error 37 or something like that. Do you know how to convert wim to esd? Thanks in advance

15. asiacell

asiacell MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2012
    I cant post links but try to find this file ESD2WIM-WIM2ESD-wimlib-3.7z

16. cocachris89

cocachris89 MDL Senior Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Could always get 8.5GB DVDs however its easier to use a USB

17. balubeto

balubeto MDL Addicted

Dec 22, 2009
    #17 balubeto, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Have you tried with the command

Code:
    dism /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:"<Windows_Files_Path>\sources\install.wim" /SourceIndex:<Image_Index> /DestinationImageFile:"<Windows_Files_Path>\sources\install.esd" /Compress:recovery /CheckIntegrity

Thanks

Bye

18. tester0077

tester0077 MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2007
    Have you tried "Split a Windows Image (WIM) File to Span Across Multiple DVDs" with 2 DVD's

searching "hh825096.aspx" (i can not post links)

Greetings

tester0077

Sorry for my bad english