Trouble Printing with Windows 10 64-bit

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by vze2mp9g, Oct 15, 2015.

1. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    I've had no issues printing from my Toshiba notebook to my laser printer in my computer (my desktop - see sig. for detail) room, where everything is connected to the router, with Windows 8 & Windows 8.1.

Then I did a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro and I receive issues I've never heard of before. Everything is connect to the local network and my Toshiba notebook is joined to the Home Group with my desktop.

Please see below concerning my printing issues.

Domain Not Found-EDIT.jpg AddPrinter.jpg AddPrinter-2.jpg

Did something change with Windows 10 concerning printing over a local network? I would really appreciate it if someone, anyone could help me this printing issue.
    Thank You.
    :confused: o_O :worthy:

2. eemuler

eemuler MDL Senior Member

Jul 31, 2015
    One of the less obvious issues is related to how you log in to Windows. If you use your Microsoft ID to sign in, it blocks everyone who is not signed in. Set up a shared folder on your desktop and see if you are able to access it from your notebook.

3. mjgr33n

mjgr33n MDL Novice

Sep 14, 2008
  4. WaltC

WaltC MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2014
    Up to now, Win10 has required me to reinstall my HP printer driver after each new build that I've installed. Beginning with 10565, however, they've included a setting that allows you to mandate keeping the last printer-driver configuration you were using--which is nice, certainly. Settings/Devices/Printers & Scanners/Let Windows manage my default printer...at least, I hope this is what the new setting will do...;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If your printer is a Network Printer, means the printer is connected via Ethernet Cable to the LAN, you've to use the Printers IP (like 192.168.1.66) for to connect and install the driver.

If the printer is connected to an Computer on your LAN, on that computer the Printer need to be shared and you'll need to search for the shared Printer and may install the driver manually.

If the Printer is an WiFi Printer, read the Printers WiFi Section in his manual and follow the advice.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Thanks for your response. I just access my (my 70 something mother) notebook, and I have access to the notebook as well as her onedrive. See below.

Notebook-via-desktop.jpg

7. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Thank you for the info. I checked everything out, and everything was good.

8. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Thank you very much for your comment. The correct answer was your second suggestion! I was trouble shooting on the laptop and when I kept adding a printer, the network printer (HP 3800dn) was always coming up, so I kept selecting it. Then, just for the hell of it, I decided to choose none of these printer drivers was the correct. Then I select to MANUALLY add the printer, so then Windows 10 found the correct HP 3800dn for my printer and Windows 10 64bit, went ahead to install it, then the test printer printed and I am now a happy camper!

This is something I never had happen with Windows 8.0 & 8.1. So if anyone else who might have a similar issue, not just with a printer, ask your question in MDL forums and then trouble shoot. It is very rewarding when you do, plus you learn how to fix your own issues along with the assistance of the online forums. It sure beets calling the "Geek Squad" or taking your issues to a, so called, "Professional" and paying for them to fix your problem(s). Money can't buy everything, but you sure can try! :biggrin:

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Good to see I could help a bit!

The fact is, policies have changed quite a bit in Windows 10, and for to get something to works, user need to fiddle a bit around with it! If the user has some experiences with such 'fiddeling', that would helps a lot, and if not, forum like MDL could helps.

Good luck for further 'testing's'!

10. WaltC

WaltC MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2014

Yes, mine's a network printer...here's hoping the new setting will remember that between builds from now. What is cumbersome about this HP driver is that it uses about 12 "unknown device" slots (in Device Manager) when I install a new build (in addition to properly installing the printer & fax drivers.) Then I have to sit there and manually add null printer and null fax drivers to each unknown device--after I've installed the drivers. I hope I won't have to do this anymore from now on...;)

11. halasz

halasz MDL Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Don't know if you are aware of this but your Skype link is obscuring what you want to say..