Trouble Shooting No Video On Computer

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by uffbros, Nov 28, 2017.

1. uffbros

uffbros MDL Senior Member

Aug 9, 2010
    I got a new computer. The old computer was perfectly fine when I unhooked it from monitor. I took it to another spare monitor to hook it up to do a clean install of Windows in order to sell it.When I hook it up to monitor I have no video. The video card is onboard so it can't be loose from moving computer 100 feet from upstairs to downstairs. The cables are fine as well because when I hook the monitor up to my laptop's VGA port I have video. To me this eliminates monitor and cables. How could the video port go bad in this move? The computer is an I5 and still very fast. I doubt the power supply on these HP's would handle any kind of dedicated graphics cards from what I have read. The computer is an HP Pro 3500. Could it be that video port for no reason by just unhooking and rehooking it up lose the video? Doesn't make sense to me. Anyone?

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Have you tried to connect the 'old' Monitor back onto that machine? If not, I would try that first!

If that works, is the cable used the same you used with the 'spare' Monitor?

If the connection change from VGA to DVI or even HDMI, that could sometimes not work directly and may need to go into the Menu Settings of the monitor to adjust the correct settings!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. uffbros

Aug 9, 2010
    the monitor works when I plug the vga cable into a laptop..when I plug same cable into the desktop it doesn't work..That would eliminate the cables and the monitor...Right?

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Normally YES! Just curious, if you have a DVI Cable, I would suggest trying that first! And depending on the Graphic Card, and the Monitor (for sure), you could even check with an HDMI Cable if possible!

Also, try a different PCI/PCIe slot on the Mainboard if possible!

If none of that works, It's possible that the Graphic Card has some Problem or even the Chip Set on the MB!

What are the model of the MB (Model No)? And the Graphic Card? Without to have such info, it's not very easy to help!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    some times the monitor has more than one hdmi port check ports. mine hdmi 1 is Display to hdmi and hdmi 2 is hdmi to hdmi

6. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    The OS might be set to a higher resolution / refresh rate than the monitor can handle.

If so, the Monitor would shut down.

Can you get to the Monitor menu? See what its' set up for?

7. uffbros

Aug 9, 2010
    The computer is not even booted to windows yet and no video.....When you attach the VGA with computer off the monitor screen goes from testing mode like when you unplug it to nothing

8. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    With the "bad" monitor plugged in, boot to windows. Once you have given it enough time unplug monitor from wall, and computer, then plug back in. Or else, load Windows up with a monitor you know works, then switch out with windows still up and running.

9. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    Sounds like a bad monitor

10. uffbros

Aug 9, 2010
    Can't be monitor...read above....Monitor works plugged into laptop VGA

11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    It still could because is connected to a different machine!

This would be a 'fruitless' discussion as long as you do not post ALL relevant hardware info include the type of cable used on different machines!