Trouble updating windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Benjy, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Benjy

Benjy MDL Novice

Oct 1, 2013
    Hi, Having some trouble with installing Windows 7 updates. Here is the story so far. Have the 8 latest updates from MS and it continues to fail with error codes 770 and 643. I have tried using Ms's fixit tools to no avail. Cleared and reset update history using:
    MicrosoftFixit50123.exe
    MicrosoftFixit.ProgramInstallUninstall.RNP.533036360919113.3.1.Run.exe
    MicrosoftFixit.wu.LB.533036360919113.8.1.Run.exe
    MicrosoftFixit.wu.LB.19630387996279612.5.1.Run.exe

All of these were supposed to fix any problems but didn't. Error code 643 relates to errors when installing .NET Framework Updates. I have ran sfc /scannow a few times and get the same results. As an output to sfc details.txt I get the following that SFC cannot fix. See attached file. View attachment sfcdetails.txt These seem to be related to windows activation I think.
    pkeyconfig.xrm-ms seems to be the culprit here.

I have windows 7 loader by Daz version 2.2 and have ran windows validation succesfully at microsofts validation webpage'

I have run WAT fix with no problems or errors. I had used Hazars activator in the past. I have downloaded and ran MGADiag, but am not sure what the results mean. I guess I will be running that again if someone is there who can help. Just restored a hidden update KB2719033 as I had mistaken this for the KB971033 update. It installed correctly which I find very odd. The failing updates relate to Office 2003 which has updated fine in the past, and one other KB7758694 XML Core service pack 3.

Any help with this one please.:(

2. Benjy

Benjy MDL Novice

Oct 1, 2013
    #3 Benjy, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
    (OP)
    Hi,

Thanks for this suggestion. As my post is an opening statement of the problem, as suggestions are recommended I can elaborate on the problem in more depth.

I have tried Aaron Stebener's .Net repair tool firstly. No change to the update problem. Ran his .Net cleanup and re-uninstalled all .Net versions and in the correct order. Have tried Microsoft's tool too but will give it another go to see whether the results are any different.

As you can see my reply is repeated below. Thats why I am called a "Novice"

3. Benjy

Benjy MDL Novice

Oct 1, 2013
    Hi,

Thanks for the advice. As the first post was an outline of the problem, as I get helpful advice I can elaborate on the problem.

I have already looked at the .Net installations and ran Aaron Stebner's tools to, a) verify installations which all passed, and b) used his cleanup tool to remove all .Net installations and then re-installed in the correct order, currently up to 3.5. Ran the Microsoft tool as you suggested and it did report making some changes to the .Net applications and settings. However it asks to remain open to confirm if the applied fixes have worked.
    All the updates fail again. The repair tool then reports the following log files would be sent to microsoft. I kept a copy of all those log files and had a quick read through but am not sure whether I fully understand what I am reading.

4. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    I read your sfc report, it seems you have many errors concerning corrupted files, how did you activate W7 ?
    Best way is to reboot from installation DVD and select repair.

5. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    Not sure if this will be your problem, but I have been working on setting up a new XP disc and had a problem with a few Net Framework updates also. Racked my brains for a few days as to why because on my old XP disk they installed with no problem. Tried all kids of fix's that I found and nothing would work?? So back to why it worked on the old disk and not the new one. I went to the old disk files to see what I installed on that that I did not have on the new one..... There it was "Windows Install Package v4.5" (an upgrade). I installed that onto the new XP disk and BINGO it worked. All frame updates installed no problem. Seems that some of these newer updates needed the newer package.

Now I don't know if this will be your problem, and I don't know what installer package is on Win7 and if there is an upgrade for it. But it would be worth a look at even if it is at all running.

6. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    #7 steven4554, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
    Windows 7 (and later versions) is/are using v5 of the Windows Installer, sadly MS didn't backport this feature to either XP or Vista.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Benjy

Benjy MDL Novice

Oct 1, 2013
    Thanks, have tried this recently and nothing but detaching any newly installed devices advice shown. I have done this but it made no difference. I half expected that. The SFC report i attached was not the full report but an extraction of the unfixed problems using the elevated command prompt, type findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt and press Enter.

This shows only those problems unfixed. I might add all the other entries seemed clear from the full SFC.txt file.

8. Benjy

Benjy MDL Novice

Oct 1, 2013
    Thanks for the input, I have the latest installer package. It was only up till recently 28th Sept that updates stopped working.

9. Benjy

Benjy MDL Novice

Oct 1, 2013
    Further update. Just installed .Net version 4 with no problems. It seems it is only Office 2003 updates that do not work. One other odd thing is that the update for IE10 keeps showing and failing. I already have that installed and running. Have checked the box in windows features, IE10 as well.

10. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    I think I'd just use my Draconian approach and wipe the drive and start over with a clean install from a Windows 7 disk I know to be clean and error free.

11. Benjy

Benjy MDL Novice

Oct 1, 2013
    #12 Benjy, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
    (OP)
    Update

Not wanting to open a new thread, here is an update. It seems now that all my windows 7 updates will install correctly. my only problem is with the Office 2003 updates that continually fail despite all the fixes i have researched and found. Here are the results of my latest SFC report. View attachment sfcdetails.txt . I am sure that is an issue with my office installation being a corporate, probably dodgy copy. Also is it worth running a MGADiag report?o_O