Trouble with BIOS Mod Need Help!!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Elvis42, May 20, 2009.

1. Elvis42

Elvis42 MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2007
  2. dobbelina

dobbelina MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Can you start the computer in safe mode ?
    (Hold down the F8 key while booting.)
    Usuallt the Driver_IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL message points to a specific
    .sys file.
    Try to identify it if you can boot into safe mode by reading the XP's event log.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Before you do anything....

Be sure you have cleared the cmos and loaded defaults folowing the flash of the modded bios. This is VERY important.

This may be the conflict..

Or, if this dosn,t work, use a SSv3 mod. These are better, it is probably a corrupt module call from memory. (My choice)...:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Elvis42

Elvis42 MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2007
    Ok I tried everything suggested with no results......I tried every method in the tool by andyp to mod my Phoenix-Award bios version 6.00pg....I tried with SLIC & SLP and with SLP alone...after flash I used a utility called detect and the results were all the same....when I get a BSOD I try to load in safe mode and it doesn't work and I even cleared the CMOS...all with no luck....when I flash back to the original bios everything is fine.....

this is the original information I recieved before mod....

Program: eSupport.com BIOS Detect v1.2 July 21, 2003
    BIOS Date: 04/24/03
    BIOS Type: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    BIOS ID: 04/24/2003-nVidia-nForce-6A61BF09C-00
    OEM Sign-On: Version TFA42
    Superio: NSC 332 rev 8 found at port 2Eh
    CPU Type: AMD Duron(tm)
    CPU Speed: 1200 Mhz
    CPU Max: 500 Mhz
    BIOS ROM In Socket: Yes
    BIOS ROM Size: 512K
    Memory Installed: 512 MB
    Memory Maximum: 1536 MB

after the mod this is the information I recieved.....

Program: eSupport.com BIOS Detect v1.2 July 21, 2003
    BIOS Date: 04/24/03
    BIOS Type: Dell SystemwardBIOS v6.00PG
    BIOS ID: 04/24/2003-nVidia-nForce-6A61BF09C-00
    OEM Sign-On: Version TFA42
    Superio: NSC 332 rev 8 found at port 2Eh
    CPU Type: AMD Duron(tm)
    CPU Speed: 1200 Mhz
    CPU Max: 500 Mhz
    BIOS ROM In Socket: Yes
    BIOS ROM Size: 512K
    Memory Installed: 512 MB
    Memory Maximum: 1536 MB

if you will notice the only thing changed was the BIOS Type:
    I am thinking that the OEM Sign-On: would change or am I on the wrong track?

is there anyway to manually insert the SLP text into the BIOS? maybe witth a hex editor or something? I thought I saw in a post that you could combined several SLP names together so you could activate more than one oem on the same computer is that correct?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...I am really lost and frustrated...:(
    Thanks,
    John

5. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    The SLP strings need to be at certain addresses in memory. If yo want DELL, it will show up in the bios post.

Some SLP can be in DMI area...HP is one of the more popular. The AMI bios you can string them together, not so much with Award.

I doubt that you will run vista very will with a 1200mhz Duron Proc.

Do you only need SLP for XP?? You can add HP simple with a DMI utility like dmicfg or the tattoo disc.

I would guess if you wanted a slic, the ISA would be best for you..I will take a look later today..:D

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ Elvis42, are you still getting BSOD or is that ok after you cleared cmos and loaded bios defaults ? have you run oembios.exe to see if slp string is there.

7. Elvis42

Elvis42 MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2007
    Okay...something really weird happened...LOL....in response to your questions.....yes I only want tthe SLP for XP, because I know the SLIC won't work very well if at all on this computer....secondly yes I still keep getting BSOD even after flashing, clearing CMOS and all...I get driver_irql_not_less_or_equal and page_fault_in_a_nonpage_area......I am thinking this may have something to do with some of the older components I am using in the computer??? any suggestions or is that incorrect?

Now for the strange part....I ran OEMBIOS and got these results....

OEMBIOS on the computer without mod bios....

F: Sysfic OEMBIOS.CAT CRC=15367043

OEMBIOS on the computer with mod bios.....

F: Dell System OEMBIOS.CAT CRC=6387D1F
    F: Dell System OEMBIOS.CAT CRC=B6F0EEFD
    F: Sysfic OEMBIOS.CAT CRC=15367043

I am to assume that the F:Sysfic OEMBIOS.CAT CRC=15367043 is an oem string for FIC already in the BIOS for XP?...but the computer sticker says Windows NT & Windows98...so I assume it came with Windows98 on it....I got the computer without an OS

Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    John

8. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
  9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    At last Elvis42 ran oembios.exe first thing peeps should run:D

10. dobbelina

dobbelina MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    #10 dobbelina, May 22, 2009
    Last edited: May 23, 2009
  11. Elvis42

Elvis42 MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2007
    Hey...
    Thanks everyone for the help with the BIOS mod trouble...unfortunately the motherboard died...I think the BSOD were due to problems with the board that finally resulted in it dieing.....I did manage to pick up an old Hewlett Packard Brio...it doesnt have much in it but I can atleast learn how to create XP SLP CD's with it...so you can delete this post so it won't waste space on here......
    Thanks,
    John