Trouble with Updating Windows XP SP3

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by jusjen3, Jan 16, 2009.

1. jusjen3

jusjen3 MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2009
    I try to update my Windows XP sp2 to SP3 but it would quit in the middle of the update when it gets to the part where it's checking for the product key. Please help. Is there a way to by pass that point or a way to get around with that so I can install the SP3. Any help or suggestion is appriceated. Thanks.

2. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    SP3 isues

There are many issues re SP3 updates but from your post I cannot tell exactly at what point you are. For instance, when I updated there was no key search that I observed with Win Update for SP3. Oddly, when I updated from SP1 to SP2 with a disc the key was asked for and regardless, the install failed. I was successful applying the SP2 update via Win Update, however. I know, it makes no sense!

Questions:

1. Is your copy of XP genuine? If so, press on. If not . . . (did someone say apply patch?).
    2. Are all of the SP2 updates (security/recommended) applied? If not, apply ALL of the SP2 updates first (via Win Update); then try to update to SP3 (either by disc or Win Update). Why? SP3 installation failures are common and one solution seems to be installing all of the SP2 updates first even though SP3 is supposed to apply any and all updates.
    3. Are you updating from SP2 to SP3 with an disc or via Win Update? If by disc, did you try via Win Update? If your copy is not recognized as genuine, Win Update would normally report that advising that the SP is for genuine installations - or words to that effect.
    4. If from a disc, are you asked for the key and it is rejected or does the installer automatically return an error dialog telling you that your copy is not genuine? Or are you saying that the installer just quits - no message, no nothing - and just hangs or exists?

So, to me there are two routes to take: (1) for bootlegged copies and (2) for genuine copies.

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jusjen3

jusjen3 MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2009
    SP3 Issues

Thank you in advance for your resoponse. I am updating sp2 to sp3 via Win Updates. First it configures, then it go on to say 'verifying product key', this is when an error message came back saying update cannot proceed because of the internal errors. I took it that there is a problem with the product key because the process stops right after it says to verify product key. Any solutions to fix that? Thanks.

4. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. jusjen3

jusjen3 MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2009
    Product ID

Hi. I follow your advice and follow steps from the Microsoft article, I identified the cause and tried to resolute but failed. To resolute the cause I have to change product registry key. The problem is none of the subkeys matches the registered product ID. Any suggestions? Thanks.

6. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    #6 HMonk, Jan 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  7. jusjen3

jusjen3 MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2009
    Giving Up- Settle with Sp2 for now

Thanks again for all your inputs and suggestions. I went a few more rounds trying to fix the problem but it seems like it's not going happen so I am settling with sp2 for now. Thanks again.

8. pusarahati

pusarahati MDL Novice

Jan 13, 2008