Troubleshoot Windows 7 Installation Error

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by patrix, Aug 2, 2009.

1. patrix

patrix MDL Junior Member

Jun 4, 2009
    #1 patrix, Aug 2, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  2. JFMuggs

JFMuggs MDL Member

Jan 13, 2009
    The error message would seem to indicate that the file INSTALL.WIM could not be found on your installation DVD. It should be located in the \sources folder.

3. patrix

patrix MDL Junior Member

Jun 4, 2009
    You know what's strange, it's there. All the files seems to be counted for apart from the one I deleted of course. So what else could it be?

4. JFMuggs

JFMuggs MDL Member

Jan 13, 2009
    A problem reading the DVD (bad or dirty media, failing DVD drive, etc.) can also cause it to appear the file is missing. I've also seen cases where an overclocked system appeared to be stable, but failures would occur trying to install the O/S (Windows and Setup run out of a RAMDISK during the first part of the installation process and therefore probably run much faster than they normally do from a HD).

5. Opa

Opa MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    If you read the comment in the page that you're linking, you'll see that you're not the only one to have this error. It seems that this method doesn't work (deleting ei.cfg).

Just put directly the version that you wanna use into ei.cfg like explained in the article you linked instead of deleting the file.

6. JFMuggs

JFMuggs MDL Member

Jan 13, 2009
    I'm 99.99% sure the ei.cfg file is not required to be present. It wasn't on WZOR's 'homemade' release that turned out to be 100% identical otherwise to the RTM disks. If it's related to deleting the file, it's more likely due to whatever software is being used to accomplish that task (PowerISO, UltraISO, etc.) corrupting the ISO image's file system structure.

7. patrix

patrix MDL Junior Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Nah, it's true what you saying except I ran the ISO image through a virtual machine.

Huh, I totally missed that... thanks.

8. patrix

patrix MDL Junior Member

Jun 4, 2009
    #8 patrix, Aug 2, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
    (OP)
    In other words, taking files out from ISO and repackaging it is unreliable, I think I'll stick with Ultimate then if that is the case.

9. christantoan

christantoan MDL Junior Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Do not modify the ISO it'll ruin the whole package. Use usb bootable instead then modify it. For me it works

10. patrix

patrix MDL Junior Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Don't quite follow...

11. JFMuggs

JFMuggs MDL Member

Jan 13, 2009
    There have been bugs in UltraISO, PowerISO, etc. in the past that didn't rewrite the new ISO image correctly. I'm not saying that's the problem, but it has happened in the past. Any time I make such a change, I mount the old image and new image with Daemon Tools and WINDIFF the two drives to make sure I see only the differences I intended.

12. JFMuggs

JFMuggs MDL Member

Jan 13, 2009
    That's simply not true.

13. patrix

patrix MDL Junior Member

Jun 4, 2009
    I tried it instead with UltraISO running under Linux Wine and that did trick.

Thanks for your assistance guys.