TrueCrypt on Backup + System Image ?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by BMW, May 4, 2011.

1. BMW

BMW MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2011
    #1 BMW, May 4, 2011
    Last edited: May 4, 2011
    I've taken a Backup + System Image on my External Drive,

*Let Windows Choose* option...

if I use TrueCrypt on the External Drive folder containing the System Image & Backup,

Q1 : will it work properly ? ...as in will the system be able to get restored from it ?
    ...or will it have any issues, like when files need to be used during boot-time for restoring, the system won't be able to get access 'coz of TrueCrypt ?

Q2 : will Windows 7, be able to do incremental backups on it ?

Q3 : should I instead use BitLocker ? ...will that be better in this particular case in any way ?

Q4 : can System Images, be updated incrementally also ?

Cheers ! :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. BMW

BMW MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2011
    the former,

wanna truecrypt the system image & backup ... on the external drive..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. BMW

BMW MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2011
    Thanks a Lot, Acrsn :D

btw, bitlocker vs truecrypt for this particular case ... will bitlocker be beneficial in any way ?

4. BMW

BMW MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2011
    so TrueCrypt it is ! :D

Thanks, once again :)

5. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    @BMW,

The problem isn't with encrypting the drive or doing backups (full or incremental)
    The problem is you won't be able to access any of the files/backups on your encrypted drive when you want to restore the PC.
    As both TrueCrypt and BitLocker need to be installed or you need Admin permissions on the PC to decrypt the drive.
    Neither are possible during install or re-store. ;)

6. BMW

BMW MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2011
    yup, so I'm encrypting only the backups...

though I wonder, what if some1 actually wants to encrypt his system image .... there must be some alternative...

for me ...only backups being encrypted is fine ...but wondering about enterprises...