Trying Linux; questions on basic usability

Discussion in 'Linux' started by norky, Nov 2, 2013.

1. norky

norky MDL Novice

Nov 11, 2011
    I'm researching the possibility of using Linux instead of W7 on my computers and have a few questions on usability. So far I have looked into Ubuntu, Xubuntu and Linux Mint as options that I like and wanna try:
    1. Can these run Adobe Flash, video (mp4, avi, wmv, mpg), audio (mp3, wma), Adobe Acrobat files? If so, which OS is the best to accommodate these easily?
    2. Which one would be the best for running other Windows software virtually that perhaps cannot be run directly? The software I mostly use are Dropbox, Evernote, Nero Video, Pinnacle Studio.
    3. Can a Linux OS easily network with Windows machines and vica versa on a simple wired home network? I want to make sure I can share files - mostly my kids need to play mp4 and avi videos from my PC on theirs where I want to put Linux on.

I am sorry if these were covered elsewhere but I couldn't find any definitive answers on these.
    Thanks a million in advance,
    Norbert

2. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
    You will not have the best experience using VMs to virtualive very heavy apps like Pinacle Studio. Anyway, the most easy linux distro is the Mint, it includes all the necessary software and codecs for the best user experience... :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. norky

norky MDL Novice

Nov 11, 2011
    Thanks guys! Kind of what I thought: good on basics, can work with most basic software but probably not good on heavy CPU/graphic card intensive Windows-based programs. I think I will test Mint and Ubuntu to see which one fits the best for my basic needs then create a dual-boot computer and use the Linux for basic work then switch to Windows 7 if I need to do some video/audio editing. And install pure Linux on my old machine my kids use for just viewing videos and connecting to the Internet.

One more question: any opinion on which Linux is best for word processing and compatibility with MS Office 2010?
    Thanks!

4. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    I'm a Ubuntu user. Mint runs a close second for me. They both have great support and compatibility. At first I was worried about missing my favorite Windows apps. I got Windows 7 running in Ubuntu's native VM environment, but have learned I don't really need it.

Just do a search, like "Ubuntu (or Mint) Nero equivalent" Chances are excellent you'll find your distro already has an included app which does exactly what you want.

I've also kept myself a diary/log, "Ubuntu.txt", to note what I have done that works best for me, handy tips, etc.

I've been hosting my own files since Windows 98 "Microsoft Personal Web Server". I was concerned I wouldn't be able to figure out the Apache2 web sever that is in just about every Linux package. Yeah, there were a couple of rough spots, but I had everything going in just a few hours.

Have fun checking out Linux!

6. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    why not dual boot win7 / linux ?

7. Paiva

Paiva MDL Developer

Apr 9, 2011
    I like to use Windows and Linux.

Both have good goals.

I think Linux Mint currently the best distro for a normal user.

I think everyone should do dual-boot :biggrin:

8. norky

norky MDL Novice

Nov 11, 2011
    Thanks for all the new comments! :)
    Yes, I will definitely create a dual boot as I see the need for both.
    Another question came to my mind: Do you still get the safety of Linux even if you have Windows installed with dual boot? Supposed you got infected by some kind of malware designed for Windows (keyloggers, spyware, hijacking it as a server, whatever); do they only load on Windows' boot or are there any that can load from root and even with Linux? i.e. is it safer to just have a Linux than Linux with Windows?

Just wandering ... ;-)

9. Paiva

Paiva MDL Developer

Apr 9, 2011

Linux has different architecture of Windows.

There is no way to virus "windows" infect Linux. ;)

10. Dr.Bender

Dr.Bender MDL Novice

Apr 12, 2014
    VLC Media Player:Windows or Linux."Plays almost everything."
    Adobe Flash:Windows or Linux
    Adobe Reader:Windows or Linux
    Java:Windows or Linux
    Open Office: Windows or Linux
    Libre Office: Windows or Linux
    Running Windows software yes and no" There is "Wine" but I am not a fan of it."
    Networking with other Computers: Windows/Linux.
    Hope this helps.