Trying to create a custom windows 10 ISO from already installed clean windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Hordori, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Hordori

Hordori MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2017
    Dear My Digital Life members,

I've had a question that i cannot seem to find an answer for. If by any change my question has already asked and answered point me in the direction please.
    If this is the wrong sub category to post this in let me know, i couldn't really find a technical sub category.

I wan't to do a clean install of windows 10, remove the telemetry by running anti-telemetry services (bat files), running gpedit, and disabling services and optimizing it by disabling page filing, system protection etc.

Then i want to save this clean install with all these settings to an ISO so that in the future i never have to do this again, considering it's time consuming and a hassle.

Can someone please point me in the right direction. What i need to do, what programs to use and if this is even possible?

Regards,

Hordori

2. Hordori

Hordori MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2017
    Thank you, I'm looking into it now.
    As for you're better solution, the problem is i don't want to restore, I clean install my machine every 6 months. So with the ISO i can just place it on a USB stick or CD/DVD and then keep reusing it whenever i'm in need.

But again thank you, i will look into both methods since it sounds interesting!

3. The Solver

The Solver MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2017
    Sysprep / genralize, capture are meant purposely to do what the OP asked. And there isn't anything strange in his request

4. Hordori

Hordori MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2017
  5. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    #6 LiteOS, Oct 18, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    u can skip the sysperp cos u dont need new SID anytime
    its for one pc not network of pcs

just insatll it on vmware make the changes u want capture it to wim and replace it in ISO with install.wim

6. Hordori

Hordori MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2017
    Do you perhaps have a link to saving my settings to .wim. All i could find was :
    Building a Standard Image of Windows 7: Step-by-Step Guide Link: technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee523217(v=ws.10).aspx <= which uses Windows AIK

7. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    #8 LiteOS, Oct 18, 2017
    Shutdown the vmware machine after tweaking it

Mount the virtual disk

Use dism or gimagex to capture

Replace the install.wim of iso u installed from
    With ultraiso

Use rufus or burn the iso
    edit:
    which of those steps u need more details ?

btw disable telemetry services can sometime break creating the first user after sysperp

8. Konstantinos

Konstantinos MDL Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Hordori

Hordori MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2017
    Ty, going to try it now! Sounds promising!

10. Hordori

Hordori MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2017
    Okay i got everything ready till the point where you said
    Shutdown the vmware machine after tweaking it

After i shutdown you said: "Mount the virtual disk" <= which vritual disk. Do you mean add a vritual disk and then mount that and then copy the .wim file to that disk using DSIM?
    I'm using Vmware Workstation 14, don't know if that matters.
    Also DSIM has a GUI version available which one would you recommend using.

11. The Solver

The Solver MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2017
    I believe that in Mexico coffe is cheap. But camomilla should be cheap as well.

So don't esagerate with the former ad get some of the latter.

Seriously. I replied politely because I know that you, are a good guy. You just started with the wrong feet tomorrow. Let it slide and live long and prosper!. :)

12. The Solver

The Solver MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2017

Although VMware is great, I suggest to use Hyper-V for such task, given VHDs/VHDXs are recognized natively by windows, and can be used not just inside a VM but also to boot a real system.

So you can test an installation on the real HW, using the native boot, then capture their content very easily.

13. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    You just can't stay silent, can you?

Just stop replying and telling others what to feel or say, just talk about Windows and that's it. This is the last time I reply because trying making you understand is moot. If I don't reply again is not that you win with "smart" arguments. It's just I don't interact with trolls.

14. The Solver

The Solver MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2017
    Why should I ?

Just stop trolling if you don't like to be replied.

Pretty simple.

15. Hordori

Hordori MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2017
    Ah, i saw a lot of people post about Hyper-V now i understand why. Thanks i'll switch, but that also means i got to redo everything i read that vmware and Hyper-V aren't compatible :(.

16. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    #18 LiteOS, Oct 18, 2017

Look for map drive in vmware

dism gui can do the work fine

17. Hordori

Hordori MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2017
    Okay so today i continued with the custom ISO.
    Things to note is Free VMware Workstation has zero options (no snapshot, no changing settings except for drives, processors, basic stuff) you need PRO which costs money.

So switched to Hyper-V today but map drive option isn't there unfortunately. Can you maybe specify what this option does?
    It could be named different.

Also trying the sysprep method now, since i can't continue for now.

18. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    with disk management or doable click on the vhd