Trying to help out a friend? psi...

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by sadsack, Oct 5, 2009.

1. sadsack

sadsack MDL Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hi All,

A Friend of mine, well as it goes its his wife's laptop, brought a second hand E-System, but the recovery disk has already been made, and of course has self deleted itself a long long time ago.
    But while i was doing a defrag in safemode i noticed an extra partition called eisa, know as far as i know, wouldn't this be the complete recovery folder, that the recovery disk would have used to make a recovery of the system, and if it is, couldn't one make a bootable DVD of this partition and then use that as a recovery disk?

While on this subject, if the above is not possible could i possible use a vista Basic DVD, and by using "Slic Dump Toolkit v2.1" backup the P/Key and Cert and copy the OEM serial into the DVD and make it self installing.
    I just hope someone knows what it is i am trying to achieve, because I'm actually confusing myself.

It wouldn't be so bad if i could get hold of a bios for this laptop but it's a E-System, 4215C which has a Phoenix Bios and a slic of 2.0 and could probably be updated to 2.1 if i knew where i could get it from.

Thanks chaps for any help with the above,
    as always its much appreciated.

ttfn

sadsack

2. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Can you access the extra partition through windows in normal mode ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sadsack

sadsack MDL Member

Dec 8, 2007
    No Deff Not.....

Only viewable through Administrative Tools - computer managment - storage

4. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    have you tried showing hidden files and folders ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Back up the cert and key with the slic dump thingy..it would be 2.0 and be valid for any version of vista.

There are also a couple other options.

You would have to use a different OEM if you want 2.1 upgrade, all we need is a link to the bios update from E-machine.

There is an E-machine/gateway key and cert for Vista in all flavors. So you would have to reinstall any flavor of vista you want, then add the cert and key.

For W7, you will have to use a different OEM right now, but it shouldnt be difficult.Maybe HP for the 2.1 and you could have any OS you wanted..

6. sadsack

sadsack MDL Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Yes, Did a backup, and got:

DSGLTD_V2.0_Cert.xrm-ms

DSGLTDDSGVISTA_V2.0.bin

PhoenixTechnologiesLTD-1.00DIX.rom (1024k in size)

ProductId.txt

xxxxx-OEM-7332166-xxxxx.txt

Have already d/l WINDOWS.7.HOME.BASIC.RETAIL.ENGLISH.RTM.X86-8FORUMS.EXT.iso

&

7600.16385.090713-1255_x86fre_client_en-us_OEM_Ultimate-GRMCULFREO_EN_DVD.iso

For the life of me I still cannot access the eisa partition, but did notice that doing a F10 or F12 at boot gave you the opportunity to do a complete recovery using the Techguys Inbuilt software, but i dont see how this is part of the bios, this eisa partition is obviously linked to the "(pcworld/dixons/techguys (Oh you've lost your boot disk don't worry that'll be £50 please set of companys)". ;)

Have managed to relieve this laptop of 24 viri and an unbelievable 123 spyware assaults. using Super AntiSpyware Pro, Antivir, Spyware Doctor, & Malewarebytes Anti-malware.

It did have installed avast and they seemed to have walked all over it, seen exactly the same thing happen with norton 360 on another machine as well.

thanks for the replys chaps....

ttfn

sadsack

7. sadsack

sadsack MDL Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hi chaps,

Just a heads up....

Decided to try Knoppix v5.1.1 DVD Edition & booted from it, waited for it to load, inserted a 16gb thumb drive, (yes it does take ages to copy over), and Using Konqueror, Viewed each Partition, Eisa was on sda1, then created a folder on the thumb drive, And dragged the sda1 over to the new folder, knoppix said, did i want to do a copy of all files, said yes, (looking at about 30 mins for 3.3 gb,
    Seems this is going to work perfectly, instead of trying to work with the partition which is 5.1gb within windows.
    Makes me think that techguys created there backup util with some sort of linux stuff.

must say, its my first time with knoppix, but what a blinding op system, fast fluid, just wish i knew what all the differences were between windows and linux.

will let you know what xp makes of the details on the thumb drive once its copied...

ttfn

sadsack

8. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    #8 911medic, Oct 7, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
    Basic is probably on the ultimate disc too. Or you downloaded crap...:D

I am curious, after all this...why use the backup partition?? I see no real advantage to what you are doing. Wipe the harddrive and install fresh ultimate or home premium from the 7600.16385.090713-1255_x86fre_client_en-us_OEM_Ultimate-GRMCULFREO_EN_DVD.iso DVD you downloaded. You can insert the Cert and a PID.txt for an unattended install.

I doubt there is any real value to whatever is in the techguys partition, and killdisk or even gpart on the linux disc can do a fabulous job of cleaning the harddrive.

9. sadsack

sadsack MDL Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Yes you're quite right in what you say, the problem is, when the machine is not your own, and I have to take every precaution, due to, "you did what" "I never said you could do this" "I wanted it this way", even if you did do it for the right reason.
    I've already had to back up 3gb of music, and a gig of photos, just in case I found the HD was knackered, take it from me, you have to see the state of this lappy to believe it.

Vista Home Basic running on 512mb. WTF...

ttfn

sadsack