Trying to install Win 7 over Win 8 on Dell

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Rubby, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Rubby

Rubby MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2012
    I am trying to help a family friend that just bought a Dell Inspiron 660s that has Windows 8 and she hates it. She is 85 yrs old and I thought that she would like Win 7 after using Win XP for many years. I tired to in do a clean install of Win 7 but apparently I am having a problem since it is a UEFI mobo and has GPT which are both above my pay grade having never encountered them before. Is there instructions in this forum that would help me or what would you suggest I do?When we ordered the computer I had read in Dell forums that they will help you revert to Win 7 but what I didn't know is that only applies to systems that come win Win 8 Pro and we didn't order Pro. At this point I have deleted all but 1 partition, installed Win 7 from a USB drive and the computer finds no OS and won't boot. Please tell me what additional info would be necessary to get some assistance.Thank You

2. cocachris89

cocachris89 MDL Senior Member

Mar 1, 2013
    You should be able to turn off uefi in the bios. Delete all partitions and start fresh.

3. Rubby

Rubby MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2012
    I'm pretty sure I can turn off UEFI but the last partition won't allow deletion. It also said something about "GPT".

4. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    If you really want to wipe your drive clean, you can do it with a third party program; I like GPartEd. Download it, create the bootable CD, boot from the CD and delete any partition you want.

5. Rubby

Rubby MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2012
    Thanks guys . I found the option in the boot menu to boot without UEFI and Win 7 installed easily from that point. Now the question is leave well enough alone or should I redo it after using GPartEd? Would there be any benefit??

6. cocachris89

cocachris89 MDL Senior Member

Mar 1, 2013
    The choice is yours. It makes no difference.

7. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    If your ultimate goal was to get it working, and it is now doing that, why would you attempt another fix when all that would do would be to get you back to where you are right now?