Trying to make a slp xp cd, but it won't activate.

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by MrBiglund, Dec 7, 2009.

1. MrBiglund

MrBiglund MDL Novice

Apr 2, 2008
    Hey guys, i have a sony laptop and i have backed up the oem files using oembioschangeer tool. Now that my original restore cds for this laptop have alot of bloatware, i want to make a slp restore cd that will only install xp pro oem sp3 without any extras. I can install the drivers etc., after the clean xp install. Now the problem is that I followed the instruction in the stickies to make a oem pro slp cd but for some reason, when the installation is finished it prompts me to activate windows. When i used the internet method of activating windows, it activates fine. However, i want it so that it should self activate upon installation.

Now, this is what i'm doing. I have compressed the four oem bios files that i backed up from the original installation and i insert them into the i386 folder of the untouched xp pro sp3 retail. I also compressed the dpcdll.dll file and insert that in the same location as well and i insert the pidgen.dll file uncompressed. Now i insert the two files from the folder TEMP that i downloaded in the instructions, setupp.ini and winnt.sif file from the "PRO RETAIL to PRO OEM" folder. However i edit the setupp.ini file with the pid i got from my backup from this file: OEMBIOS.reg, and I also edit the winnt.sif file with the original oem key that came with my laptop. Then i compile the cd using the provided makeiso.exe. Every thing installs ok, but windows is not activated. However after connecting to the net and choosing to activate over internet option, windows activates successfully. When i check the key using the jellybean keyfinder, after activation, it is the same key that i had put in the winnt.sif file, the original oem key that's on the sticker on the laptop.

What am i doing wrong? why isn't self activating? please help. thanks.

2. MrBiglund

MrBiglund MDL Novice

Apr 2, 2008
    Thanks for clarifying, i just did another fresh install, and the only thing i did different is that used the default key that was already in the winnt.sif file and it works fine now, it self activates.

I thought the sticker key was the oem slp key as this is an oem install. Could you please tell me how I can get the oem slp key from my original installation done using the original recovery disks? thanks. Would it be present in any of the files that i backed up from the original installation.

3. SirSilentBob

SirSilentBob MDL Senior Member

Jun 5, 2009
    #4 SirSilentBob, Dec 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  4. MrBiglund

MrBiglund MDL Novice

Apr 2, 2008
    #5 MrBiglund, Dec 7, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
    (OP)
    Thanks for the in depth explanation, it's good to know that the sticker key can also be used for another install.

I was browsing my sony recovery cd and it seems like the winnt.sif file is not there inthe i386 folder but there's a TEXTSETUP.SIF flie, but upon searching this file using ultraedit, i don't see the product key anywhere. Could it be that the slp product key is encrypted within the file. Is there a way to get the slp key used in these recovery discs? thanks. sorry if i'm asking too many question. i just like to know how thing work. thanks in advance. Is there a tool that can be used to get the slp key from an oem machine or from the actual recover discs for xp machines.

5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  6. MrBiglund

MrBiglund MDL Novice

Apr 2, 2008
    thanks for the link.

7. feappyunupS

feappyunupS MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2009
    Trying to make a slp xp cd but it wont activate

hi Melvyn, thanks for the response-- curious, what drivers if any have you installed from Lenovo? and does your machine seem to run warmer with Win7? as I commented in another thread, it seems like the fan is on constantly in Win7, which was never the case with Vista...