Trying to make future proof platform for modding

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Stewox, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Stewox

Stewox MDL Junior Member

Nov 22, 2013
    #1 Stewox, Jun 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
    Hello

I'm playing catchup so I have to figure things as I go now, I got confused a number of times.

First of all now that I already installed Enterprise from march 2016 I found out that LTSB does not have the apps,edge,cortana, cloud, I wasn't able to find this information on the crappy newsblog rubbish sites.

My longterm solution is that I make an offline ISO mod with ALL the necessary modifications integrated, with absolutely minimal need to customize once the system is installed. I will not be repeating what I have endured through Win7, now I am more experienced and I want to take it to the next level.

I have come to a realization not a lot of people around techie sites are interested in such an ISO, they rather have "clean" installs and waste so much time (or not but have a crap config) after setup on getting things configured, so I will probably have to make it myself.

This idea is obviously only for advanced users, not for average gamer, if I would ever finish and put the mod out, ofcourse only the scripts to make a mod of the ISO not the whole thing, intended for legal users who want to use it for their own non-commercial home use.

I'm looking to modify the following things:
    - includes the removal of obvious things boundled by default (metroapps, mobile tablet nonsense, cloud, logins, cortana, multimedia features for mass consumers)
    - includes all privacy modifications with full blown wireshark analysis, including forceful DLL hacks if necessary, I will manually manage a backup of those if necessary, auto pdates ofcourse disabled only added on a whitelist basis to the offline ISO to be integrated at install, so I usueally update my windows when I reinstall it, and that happens, not often.
    - So I don't care if there's updates out there, I didn't update my Win7 for 3 years, had no problems. This decision if FINAL.
    - Almost all obvious settings I already did in win7, hundreds of tweaks, including desktop look, explorer etc
    - complete GUI overhaul, win7 icons, desktop win7 theme, other things
    - may include some win7 code such as the win7 calculator and other thigns I may find useful to bring over
    - bootscreen replacement, the default win10 theme will be eradicated from the face of the code.
    - integrate 3rd party apps and their settings such as Classic Shell,
    - preinstall other utilities

Will I be able to do all this on What win10 edition, I would not want to find something not possible while half in.

I'm looking for following clarifications:

- What really are the long-term technical differences in PRO/ENT/LTSB?
    - Why is the community so mixed in terms of the edition, if a lot then removes the stock what is the underlying reason of those editions people pick?
    - will LTSB not be updated enough and will not work in future in some gaming/app related issue?
    - does the LTSB edition support updating updates it wasn't intended for ?

I do not want to figure out a year later I picked the wrong Edition and it won't go forward in future well.

Any suggestions to get me up to speed will be greately appreciated.

2. El_Heffe

El_Heffe MDL Member

Jul 16, 2007
    That's why people install Enterprise. They don't want all that useless crap.

OK. Sounds good so far.

Stuff you preinstall because you think it is great might be stuff I'm not interested in.
    I hate it when people preinstall stuff.

Don't know, don't care. Personally, I think people only run Enterprise so they can say "Hey look at me, I'm running a version that the average person can't get (legally)". And unless you're running a business where stability is really important, why do you care about LTSB?

I have no idea what you are saying.

Again, unless you're running a business where stability is really important, why even care about LTSB?

Enterprise and LTSB are targeted at businesses, not the average user. It reminds me of a few years ago when I was trying to use one of the server versions of Windows as my every day desktop OS. It was a lot of work and a pain to get everything working and it still never quite worked right. :bash:

Its too difficult to predict what problems you may run into in the future if you try to use Ent or LTSB for gaming.

My personal opinion in go with PRO. It makes the most sense.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    Hey, Im trying to make something similar to what u want to make

I tried with LTSB its really hard to tame
    the explorer working with task scheduler

but server pv5 is easier to tame

For now im waiting to final release and see what the damage MS did, hopping for best

4. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    LTSB works very nice when it comes to gaming I have run it for a few months and no probs at all. I'm now on pro stripped down everything I could with MSMG toolkit so I have a very tidy bogus free windows pro how I like it ;)

My advise to you is that if you want an clean OS for what ever needs use LTSB but forget about integrating thirt party software nobody is waiting for that :tea:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Stewox

Stewox MDL Junior Member

Nov 22, 2013
    #5 Stewox, Jun 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
    (OP)
    Who the heck doesn't like WinRAR, CPU-Z, MediaInfo, Notepad++ etc and context menus already fixed for most text files (.bat) to open Notepad++ on "Edit" instead of stock notepad ?

In order to get back the proper start menu I have to integrate Classic Shell. You can't do it without some major modifications.

I'm wasting time each install on these trivial first-grade things I just don't know how people enjoy redoing this types of things all the time. I feels like going down on MS, now they will steal some of your life because of their crappy defaults.

If there are some disagreements a full blown customization could be made in the installation process so and advanced user could fine tune it, but there's no even base community for anything like this.

I'm also surprised how many people are willing to keep updating constantly while fixing things at the same time and using it as a working OS, that's exatly what I want to avoid, that's the same thing how I went in Win7, already been there done it and don't want that approach again, just getting win10 to a level of win7 is a monumental task let alone all the stuff updates bring into it.

6. scaramonga

scaramonga MDL Senior Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Quite a few I would think, but regardless. Most peeps like to install their own stuff, and the few you have mentioned are easily available, and take seconds to install/configure. They are also updated regularly, so the version installed with the OS, might not necessarily be the latest at time of installation. Couple that with the fact that, what you consider useful, may be far different from what another user finds useful. :)

If your going to create a stripped down installation, why load it up again with software some may never use? Kinda defeats the purpose IMO.

7. Stewox

Stewox MDL Junior Member

Nov 22, 2013
    Well yeah that's why it's not practical for one guy to do this and do it good, I could do it to some extent but it wouldn't be up to date to the CB releases, and regular updates would be not regular at all, something like bi-annually, I would probably make 2 major overhauls in win10 lifetime, this would include updating and going through each KB individually checking if it's really benefitial, painstaking process.

Another thing, which confirms my suspicions how most of the mass visitors here really isn't more than average users is the popularity of the windows media center patch to run on win10 thread, the pinned one at the top, that's a sign that many people are entertainment heads, they use win10 for their time wasting things, i don't watch movies at all nor do sports, those are all distractions, so yeah many disagreements, so ofcourse it's hard to get people geared up for something like this.

8. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    You can never trust a modded ISO. Your apps would be out of date within a month. My suspicions are you tweak so much you break something then need to clean install often.
    You can never successfully run sysprep on such a tweaked up install.
    Easier just to maintain a cmd script with your tweaks & apps...

9. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Listen... the WMC on W10 (and servers) was one of the greatest technical achievement of the last decade.

And was possible just because here there is people way above the average level, and because those people cooperated sharing the expertise on each of the bits needed to make it possible.

Labeling something as "time wasting" just because you don't understand or you don't like it is not a good way to start with.

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #10 pisthai, Jun 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    I would simply say, it's all up to each user what Apps, etc., he's is using, even if others don't like them! In fact, nobody has the right for to complain about what other Humans like and/or dislike! And a judging comment like:
    Code:
    Labeling something as "time wasting" just because you don't understand or you don't like it is not a good way to start with.

isn't a good way either!

And:
    Code:

Code:
    Listen... the WMC on W10 (and servers) was one of the greatest technical achievement of the last decade.

What is soooooooo.... great to get a older apps to work on an under development OS, beside of that there a lot od newer apps doing mostly the same? Isn't it that there a lot of changes, news and more, on Windows 10 which are 'out-playing' that "
    one of the greatest technical achievement of the last decade" in all aspects?! Not to mention that another MS Apps, which is 'Calling Home' too, is placed back into the OS, while complaining about the lack of security!

I know, I started again a controversial comment/post, I simply didn't like such comments to bash, insult, accuse others because they seeing something different as those who all times claiming to have the right to judge over others.

Have a nice day!

11. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #11 T-S, Jun 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017

Not so easy to forgive your ignorance about the matter given there is the linked thread. Start to read it from the beginning and educate a bit yourself about the matter.

As usual your trollish messages are trying to derail the threads just because some people caught you writing pointless or wrong reply.

Your revenge attempts are just childish. Try to grow up. I think it's about time.

Bye.