trying to reinstall win7 home on asus laptop help required please.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by sadsack, Jun 13, 2014.

1. sadsack

sadsack MDL Member

Dec 8, 2007
    #1 sadsack, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
    Hi chaps...

This all started out when my mate asked me to remove some viri & spyware.... My first attempt was to simply do a system restore.
    But upon reboot I was left with a constant reboot, so I did a F8 and used "do not reboot if error found" or words to that effect.
    This time around I got the blue screen which gave me STOP: C0000135 The program can't start because %hs is missing, Try reinstalling the program.

So I thought okay no problem just use the built in recovery partition, well it turns out that asus use F8, but I no longer get the option to repair.

So I tried a repair disc which I made from this same laptop about 18 months ago, but that refuses to boot, I get a error along the lines of please insert bootable device or something like that, which makes me believe that the recovery disk is meant to be used after you have restored.
    So I decided to download "X17-58997.iso" Windows 7 Home Premium SP1-U 64bit which is on the laptop now.

I have already tried many of my OEM discs to do a recovery from, but I'm always met with the same error This version of system recovery options is not compatible with the version of windows you are trying to repair". So all I really need to ask is, is it possible for me to do a fresh reinstall and somehow keep the laptop legal.
    It's an asus N56VM, with win7 home prem 64bit.
    But as it is not mine I need to be careful as to what I put on it.
    I did use a OEM bios test disc and it said it found 2 for asus, (sorry I did not write down the info as I thought that the oem test disc was only for xp. (I just wanted to see if it found anything).

Is this possible to do without having to flash the bios, although I have already flashed the laptop today to the most uptodate version which was 214.

The recovery partition is still in place but for some unknown reason I just cannot get the F8 to go into recovery process.
    and all other dvd's I have refuse to do a repair.

Any help anyone can give would be very very appreciated, as I've now been awake for a day and a half, and more or less run out of ideas.
    My search on the net for the C0000135 error threw up tons. most of which talked about avg, but AVG was never on here only norton360 which had run out.

As I said chaps I'd appreciate any help I can get now.
    cheers
    sadsack

2. Experties

Experties MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2014
    hi
    I think you shoud use a windows 7 dvd with 64bit recovery option ’ Other thing if you want to get an legeal copy of your windows you shoud activate windows with your own key puted under the laptop case the key is was an oem key ithink this id the soultion of your problem last thing the messge you had faced up about copmbatable may be becouse you use the rong version off windows you shoud use the exsacly same opertion system disck my point is use try an x86 disk .
    &sory about bad eng.

3. sadsack

sadsack MDL Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Recovery option will not work in any type of windows 7 disc, neither 32 or 64 bit. I have tried oem, vl, and many more, all of them throw up the same error, about "This version of system recovery options is not compatible with the version of windows you are trying to repair" the web is full of people with the same problem. From what I have been told asus laptops have something within there bios/mainboard which will not allow repairs unless one uses a recovery disc.
    I created a recovery disc from this laptop, but it refuses to boot, in fact it looks like it needs to be within windows to run. so I think it may just be the asus tools disk. (I could be wrong). but without a way of getting the F8 and the repair option to work I don't know what else to do.

4. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    It's late so probably reading this wrong.

Basically you have a laptop that had Win 7 pre-installed.

You want to install a new copy of Win 7 but without all the garbage that comes with the manufactures disc.

Simplest way I would say, Install Win 7 then use Daz's loader. If this lappy did come with Win 7 all the loader will do is install a CERT and KEY to match the BIOS SLIC2.1 Validated Win 7.

Or have I not read it right.

orrrr

Install Win 7. With no KEY or owt.

Run SLICToolKit v3.2

This will give you the info needed to make your own OEM Disc\USB Drive

Match a CERT and KEY for your preferred Windows 7 version. Make a $OEM$ folder structure and bobs your uncle. Use this to install Win 7 OEM.

5. sadsack

sadsack MDL Member

Dec 8, 2007
    #5 sadsack, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
    (OP)
    Hi tnx,

That's the problem I have, I don't know if it has a 2.1 slic, I cannot get into the op system to run RW Everything..... I'm in this endless boot loop, where I can no longer Press F8 to be able to use the recovery partition.
    I've gone through around 12 different PE editions of xp, vista, but all 32bit, so most of them have blue screened on me.
    To be honest even if I can get into the op system via a boot disk, I don't really know what to do anyway, (I was thinking of trying bcd) to see if I could find out what happened to the F8 to enter recovery. ---- That's not to say I cannot press F8, I can, but the Recover your PC details are missing, all I have is the usual safemode, safemode with ect ect ect..
    The only way I found out about the bsod was by telling the lappy not to auto reboot upon error.
    So the actual problem is this: STOP: C0000135 The program can't start because %hs is missing, Try reinstalling the program.
    And there are 100's of people out there with exactly the same problem. (and no real answers).

If I was to go your way and re-install, (which I went to do and then I saw "Repair your PC" but that throws up the same error over and over again whether i use OEM, or VL or anything else I have.
    So I could do a reinstall, I have Dig River editions of home prem 64bit retail, x64 ultimate OEM, and I have a pro 64bit retail that says I converted it to any 64bit.... I know I done it but it must have been ages ago.

I Have a X64 ultimate that contains a $oem% which says that it is v2.3 numbered 7600.16385.090713-1233_x64 FRE_CLIENT_EN-US_OEM-ULTIMATE- GRMCULXFREO_EN_DVD
    Some of that may be wrong as I'm reading it through eyes that have been open for 2 days now.
    I do have a thumb drive also that I made ages ago with a %oem% on it, but whether it would work on this lappy I don't know..

Sorry, It seems that it's F8 for an ordinary (your own install of win7) but F9 for asus.... not that it makes any difference cos it still don't bloody work....

6. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    Are you saying that you can not load any OS onto the laptop ?

Please provide make and model of this laptop.

If this machine came with Win 7 why are you messing about with XP and Vista images ?

Have you only got one Win 7 image ?

I would sugest to download a clean untouched image, there are plenty of links on the forums.
    Forget about using discs. For you I sugest using Rufus to make a USB installer.

Do you know how to boot into the laptops BIOS ?

In my experiance if you are able to boot into the BIOS and change the settings the comp is basicly ok but the OS as gone south with the problem you seem to be having.

Forget about recover partitions and the like.

Boot into the BIOS and change the boot order to boot from USB. Then install a fresh copy of Win 7.

Use Daz's loader.

Job done.

Dont worry too much about drivers. Asus are pretty good for getting drivers for older machines, that is if M.Soft updates dont do the job for you.

First supply the laptops exact make and model, then we can check it out.

7. Bytebuster

Bytebuster MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2013
    #7 Bytebuster, Jun 14, 2014
    Long day tnx? :D

1 - No, OP never said so; Not in his first, second or third post;
    2 - OP mentioned make, model and OS in his first post;
    3 - OP explained in his first and second post;
    4 - See 2
    Btw, ...see bold blue bit ;)

...which type eg, S4050V, S4032V?

8. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008

Can you explain what he wants then ?

I just read it and confuse my self :eek:

9. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    Have you tried F11, F10, del, esc ? You need to get to a bios screen that will allow you to choose the boot device, then boot from dvd or usb drive. It sounds like it is always trying the hard disk first. Boot one of those digital river disks, install new Windows to hd, then activate with Daz loader.

10. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @sadsack

For Asus notebooks, its 'Esc' to access boot device selection menu.

11. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    Thats the info we needed, just to make sure it did come with Win 7 and the BIOS does in fact hold SLIC2.1. Which it will.

Just seems to be a matter of installing a new copy of Windows and to make life simple using Daz's loader to activate.

12. Bytebuster

Bytebuster MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2013
    #12 Bytebuster, Jun 14, 2014
    ...yep, well at least for my ASUS note- and netbooks this applies;

@Sadsack; If you want to boot from an ext. USB device make sure you connect the device first - otherwise it won't show in the boot device selection menu, obviously. ;)

@tnx; lol. I feel you bro. :D

13. sadsack

sadsack MDL Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hi Chaps....

I told my mate last night that I wished I'd never laid hands on this Asus.... It's been a real pig. I Managed to get a very recent edition of Hirens 15.2 which comes with two possible Win7 PE versions to boot into..... Guess what, this asus doesn't want to play ball with either. But it did go into win xp pe, and I thought I managed to reverse the virus that was on it which caused the stop: C0000135 bsod, but alas it was not to be,... the area of the registry had not been infected. so I did a scan with malwarebytes and it found 4 spys, eradicated these but still bsods.
    This Asus has a number of different ways of getting into the bios screen, Esc, Del, and I'm sure one more. strangely F8 only works after every 6 or 7 reboots.
    Getting the boot option screen up is not a problem, hence the reason why I was able to get Hirens to work, unfortunately (for reason I do not know about) none of the USB ports would work, even though I had items plugged in before booting, even a basic wired mouse would not work.
    Asus and there F9 key which is supposed to be the same as F8 but does nothing at all, I've tried Shift + F9, alt + F9, the repair option just is not there. So I did some more research and this virus which I believe is called a google redirect virus, can be a real Ftytytt, Most people "in the know" immediately format when they get this virus.
    I've got an Asus rep (2nd level tech) calling me on Monday or Tuesday to help with the issue, They understand the unit does not belong to me but I've already given them the owners details so they seem to want to help. Although by Tuesday I think I know what the inevitable will be.
    (My only problem) If the unit belonged to me, I wouldn't have a worry about putting a loader on it, (but take if from me chaps,) the owner is next to useless, he has to carry a book about with him to remind him how to turn it on.... and that's no joke.
    Serg008 was going to help out with a bios mod, which for myself, would be better, but if the Asus is the same as Dell's I wouldn't need a bios mod. Just an Asus install disc, which I don't happen to have, and neither does the owner, hence the pathetic restore partition, (which isn't much good if your HD goes down).
    Many thanks for all the replies chaps, Nice to know I'm not alone....
    sadsack

14. sadsack

sadsack MDL Member

Dec 8, 2007
  15. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    Now I started reading the ladt two posts but found it so hard to finish.

Seems like your making things far more complicated thant they should be.

If I was faced with this problem I would remove the hard drive, connect it to my pc and save all the files I could.

Then simply install a brand new copy of Win 7.

Using Daz's loader to fully activate it. Seing SLIC2.1 is in the BIOS all the loader will do is add the correct CERT and KEY. Nothing more and will be perfectly safe to use. Make sure you download it from these forums.

But has'nt this been said already.

An half hour job installing Windows and then a short time updating and installing new drivers.
    Job done.

It is easy really.