Trying to reinstall Windows 7 via usb, get bootmgr missing message

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by supercrazy, Oct 16, 2014.

1. supercrazy

supercrazy MDL Novice

Oct 16, 2014
    Hey guys,

So I'm trying to re-install windows on my laptop via usb (it has no cd drive) and when I try to boot the usb from the bios, I get a "boot mgr missing press ctrl, atl, del" message. When I only had my original hdd installed, i could access it fine, but later on I had someone install an ssd for me so the os is on the ssd now. From what I read, is it true that the installed ssd is preventing me from booting up the usb? Any ideas on what I can do?

2. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    Perhaps I misunderstand the OP, but no ssd/hdd will prevent you booting from usb. Have you booted from the same usb previously? Check the bios settings and do you know for certain the usb is bootable? Make and model of the laptop?

3. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    This^^^ The USB drive has to be bootable, in the boot order sequence and in this case I'd make it dead first.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Siliwangi

Siliwangi MDL Member

Aug 11, 2009
    try to rename bootmgr to ntldr in your USB installer media.

5. nencywillims

nencywillims MDL Novice

Nov 14, 2014
    Check your optical drives, USB ports, and floppy drives for media. Often times, the BOOTMGR is Missing error will appear if your PC is trying to boot to a non-bootable disc, external drive, or floppy disk.

6. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    I would re-format the USB drive via command promt and load a new set of files onto it.

Run Command Prompt as admin

Load your OS files

Boot into the BIOS and make sure you boot from the USB and install your OS.