Trying to SLIC 2.1 Mod Toshiba M305D

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Signo, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Signo

Signo MDL Novice

Jun 29, 2009
  2. ripee

ripee MDL Junior Member

Jun 26, 2009
    #2 ripee, Aug 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  3. Signo

Signo MDL Novice

Jun 29, 2009
    Checksim Error in A03

ripee,

I check out the bios in PBE to see what was changed and PBE gave a checksum error. I want to gain more knowledge about how this is done that's why I looked at it.

I made similar changes and when I rebuilt the bios and opened it again I got no such error.

What else did you change besides editing HOLE5.ROM and any idea on the checksum error. I don't feel confident flashing with out a full understanding of what has be changed.

It's more of an education thing for me (and I dont want to Brick my laptop).

Thanks for your help and look forward to working on this.

4. Signo

Signo MDL Novice

Jun 29, 2009
    Checksim Error in A03

ripee,

I check out the bios in PBE to see what was changed and PBE gave a checksum error. I want to gain more knowledge about how this is done that's why I looked at it.

I made similar changes and when I rebuilt the bios and opened it again I got no such error.

What else did you change besides editing HOLE5.ROM and any idea on the checksum error. I don't feel confident flashing with out a full understanding of what has be changed.

It's more of an education thing for me (and I dont want to Brick my laptop).

Thanks for your help and look forward to working on this.

5. ripee

ripee MDL Junior Member

Jun 26, 2009
    I didn't find any HOLES5.BIN file. Inside the file you linked to are 2 separate zip files, one for x86 and one for x64. They are both .WPH.

I extracted each separately and opened them in WinHex. I copied and pasted the pubkey component of the SLIC table "Toshiba[TOSQCITOSQCI00-LTP]2.1" (the last 182 bytes of the 374-byte SLIC Table) in 2 separate locations in the WPH file, making sure the bits lined up with the existing OEM ID.

The marker component of the SLIC table (the 156 bytes immediately preceeding the pubkey) is identical between 2.0 and 2.1 in your case, so I left it as is.

6. Signo

Signo MDL Novice

Jun 29, 2009
    OK, so you did a pure hexedit on the files. I was approaching it a different way, I don't know how to do it that way.

Takasuite,

Thanks for your file I'll check it out.

7. slim26

slim26 MDL Novice

Jan 9, 2008
    Signo, please let me know if you were successful. I'm also attempting to mod a wph for a P305D.

Thanks.

8. Signo

Signo MDL Novice

Jun 29, 2009
    Scared to flash

I cant manage to find out if this toshiba model will work with crissis recovoery, and I cant be without it so i am hesitant to flash it.

Can anyone confirm the M305D series laptops are able to use crisis recovery?

Slim26, do the P305D and the M305D use the same bios file? If i get brave and do flash I will let you know.

9. myexige

myexige MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    Signo,
    I used the same method as you, opened my P300 bios in PBE, replaced the HOLE5.ROM with the correct information from the Tosh SLIC bin and then recompiled the bios.
    The RSA section in MOD_4A00.ROM is the same so i didnt change this.

Like you i am wondering if it is safe to try a flash!

10. myexige

myexige MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    if the os is 64 bit then use the x64 folder, otherwise use the x86 folder, both wph files are the same, its just the programs used for flashing that are different.

11. myexige

myexige MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    try the recovery process with a known good bios first, i think it should work!

12. ecpeachy

ecpeachy MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    I know this may sound stupid :eek: but how can one tell if the SLIC is split across two files, it would be nice if someone pointed me to more info on the topic.

I dont know why, but I'm getting addicted to this BIOS modding thing ;)

Thanks
    Peachy

13. myexige

myexige MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    Easiest way is to search for the matching strings, e.g. i search for RSA1 (pubkey) and for WINDOWS (marker), with the newer bioses i have looked at they all seem to be in the same files after PBE has decompiled them, i.e. MOD_Axxx.ROM (pubkey) or HOLEx.ROM (marker)

HTH

14. ecpeachy

ecpeachy MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    Thanks for the explanation,

The reason i asked is i want to replace the slic file on a toshiba laptop (well, an exercise until i'm confident enough to flash it for real)

I searched for the strings you mentioned and found none, I replaced the slic and rebuilt the image, PBE gave no errors, just like the VMware BIOS image except the later was without a slic to begin with.

So I guess I'm all set and ready to go, luckily for me, I lent that laptop to a friend who's abroad for the summer, so I have plenty of time to look further (with the help of the nice people here of course) and learn more before I attempt to flash it.

The Award machine I modded -using Andy's wonderful tool- is working flawlessly (I'm typing from it now) but till he makes a tool for phoenix, it will be a great learning/bricking experience for us noobs ;)

15. Signo

Signo MDL Novice

Jun 29, 2009
    Well I have to get a usb floppy that i left at work and give it a go. Have been without power for 24 hrs, so maybe tomorrow I will try and do a test recovery, then go for the real flash.

I tried to get some of the pro modders here to look at the files, but my posts keep getting ignored. Understandable they are busy, with the mad rush for slic 2.1.

Just came off call for work so I off to drink some beers.

Signo

16. myexige

myexige MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    Well i tried it and flashed my P300 with my self modified 2.1 bios and success :D

17. arrows

arrows MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    #19 arrows, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  18. myexige

myexige MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    All ready done :)