Trying to understand bios modding without bricking, or least chance of bricking

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by matt167, Oct 8, 2013.

1. matt167

matt167 MDL Junior Member

Oct 8, 2013
    #1 matt167, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
    First off. I bought a Dell Latitude D520 off Ebay for chump change. My old Acer Aspire 3100 has broken down from light use to the point it is just about unusable and the Dell is an upgrade in specs without breaking the bank.. Now, I have not done anything with Dell's in a few years. I think the latest Dell I have actually done anything to was a GX-280. However I do remember that any Dell would activate any version of windows up to Win XP because the bios provided the needed information..

So with the D520 having XP Pro installed, I thought I could install Win 7 Pro with a Dell OEM install disc ( Have a disc coming too ), that's when I ran across SLIC 2.0/2.1 and how it authenticates the machine to accept a cert and key, so it made sense.. After that, I did manage to find a D520 bios with SLIC 2.1. BUT, I'm a DIY kind of person, and I found the phoenixtool from here, plugged in the Dell Bios, selected, Dell SLIC 2.1 left out the RW file because I read Dells don't need it, and ran it as dynamic and it wrote the bios. I verified and compared the orig to the new in the little box, and it looked legit. Just rewrote the SLIC table from 2.0 to 2.1..

I downloaded the bios that I found online and checked that, and it looked almost the same as the one I wrote.. Now I really want to run my bios if it is safe to do, rather than someone elses. I read that the Phoenix tool will corrupt a bios, and to only use it for test runs and to manually write the bios. also read that the bios should be flashed using Phlash, but the Dell bios is an EXE.. Is my Phoenixtool edited bios safe to use, and how do I flash the bios from dos on a dell?

I also have a question about adding SLIC 2.1 to an Asus M378A-CM mobo with Dell SLP and SLIC 2.1, so that I can use the oem dell disc on it with out issue also. I know I could use the Asus cert and the right key to make it work too.. I used the AMI tool and SSV3 with std settings and it came up right as successful, but did change a bunch to Dell beyond the SLIC 2.1 tables, and I'm especially worried about that computer because it's not mine ( altho I donated all major parts to the build. It's my old box ). If I brick it, I'll never hear the end of it.. I know that Asus had a model of desktop that ran that mobo and Win 7 with an SLIC 2.1 table but I'm not sure which model... Is what I want to do with the Asus mobo safe? I flashed the bios to the most current when I gave it away.

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    dells are hard to brick.. u can use someone elses bios fine.

the asus is best if u find a mod that was done and see the method they used and do same but with dell. should be somewhat safe.

older AMI usually need Floppy or CD to do bios recovery with the bios file renamed to AMIBOOT.ROM and Home or end key to do recovery.

phoenix use CRISDISK but yours is AMI so this is uneeded .. dells do recovery with .HDR file and proper name on USB stick with END key.

p.s. try to separate your paragraph so its not so had to follow your story.

3. matt167

Oct 8, 2013
    Thanks for the reply, and sorry about the paragraph. I just re read it and it is kind of hard to read..

Anyway, I will run the bios that I found for the Dell to be on the safe side.. Is it a concern if I just run the bios EXE from windows?

The Asus mobo, had a mod here on the list, with Dell SLIC 2.1 and SLP but the link is dead. Otherwise I would have downloaded it.. I forgot to mention that before

Do you mean for the recovery, turn the power on and then press the right key? or is it press key with power off?

4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #4 LatinMcG, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
    on dells sometimes it gives u error of admin rights or permissions. use DOS with exe works same.

right key? err on dells its END key next to home insert.. but u wont need it likely.

on asus its also not likely. but its Home or END .. forgot but its AMI so follow recovery for AMi IF IT BRICKS .. which is not so likely.. laptops do brick easy

u can click the reply to the broken link and if user is still active he might be able to update it.

5. matt167

Oct 8, 2013
    Good to know about the exe working in Dos. that was something I was not sure about. I thought I would have to use Phlash to do a Dos flash, and extract the Rom from the EXE to make it work.. I should be able to use my 98 startup CD and stick the bios exe in the main directory of my secondary harddrive right?

The Asus bios was done by busykid508 and it appears he is gone and all the links dead

This is what I found with some digging. Originally I just found it in the lists
    I'm thinking that I could run the AMI tool just like he did ( the one I did was run the same actually ), and re create it, or should I just put up a request for a new one? The person he did it for is long gone also

6. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #6 LatinMcG, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  7. matt167

Oct 8, 2013
    Thanks much.

8. matt167

Oct 8, 2013
    Well, Dell up and working with modded bios, Asus to go.