Trying to update DMI data (asset tag, etc.) on ASUS AMI UEFI Board (M5A99FX)

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by theproto, Jul 18, 2012.

1. theproto

theproto MDL Novice

Jul 9, 2012
    I have tried many utilities from a 34 page thread here on MDL but receive (any version, even with the DOS executable and including the current 1.48):

AMIDEWINx64.exe /IV

Initializing the SMBIOS interface. Please wait a moment......
    Init. SMBIOS ERROR

I really am not quite sure where to look at this point as I have spend days searching for answers and trying things.

If you know what I need to do please speak up :) I haven't worked with AMI boards all that much in regards to updating DMI data however I have with plenty of other boards.

Again, I am simply trying to update the asset tag, system manufacturer, etc. and not trying to add modules for licensing.

Thank you!

2. theproto

theproto MDL Novice

Jul 9, 2012
    quid, thank you for the reply. I have now tried each linked tool provided without luck. In both windows and DOS.

What DOS version are you using and how have you booted? I am using unetboot (on sourceforge) with FREEDOS for my boot disks (USB actually).

3. quid

quid MDL Addicted

Oct 22, 2010
    I used AMIDEDOS 1.38 from MSDOS (98SE Boot Disk from an old HP I used to have).

4. theproto

theproto MDL Novice

Jul 9, 2012
    I've now spend another night working on this with no success.

I have created 3 different boot disks (floppy and USB) with Win 98 SE and even 6.22 from Technet. It is not an issue with the way I am booting but more so that the SMBUS just isn't visible on my board. I have dissected the ACPI and found that this really isn't worth it. This board just came out last month, it is perfect in every other way for my needs however all my reports with AIDA64 and Geekbench all show this annoying "To be filled by O.E.M." and it was getting to me... I even tried DMIScope with little hope!

I will just deal with it. These are things I like to take case of immediately after purchasing a new board. This is running an AMD FX-8150 and 32 GB RAM for virtualization purposes at home so I wanted everything perfect before deploying it.

Thanks for the replies.