Tutorial: How to Install Mac OS X 10.7 Lion on VMWare Workstation

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by trungpt, Jan 9, 2013.

1. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    #1 trungpt, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
    I've managed to install MacOSX 10.7 on VMWare Workstation 9.0.1. I write this totorial to share with you guys :D

1. Download Mac OS X Lion, extract to get "Install Mac OS X Lion.dmg" (don't run the installer otherwise it'll delete itself) --> WHERE to find this (Just "Bing it on"/ Google it or find in your favorite warez forums) :D

2. Convert the installer into an ISO:
    On Windows, use dmg2img (http ://vu1tur.eu.org/tools/) to convert:
    - Because "Install Mac OS X Lion.dmg" is actually an archive (in XAR format), use 7-Zip program (http ://7-zip.org/) to extract the actual setup dmg file which is located at "Install Mac OS X Lion.dmg/InstallMacOSX.pkg/InstallESD.dmg"
    - With InstallESD.dmg, run in Windows Command Prompt the following command:

dmg2img -i "InstallESD.dmg" -o "Setup.iso"​

to get the actual setup file in ISO format.

3. Install VMware Workstation 7,8 or 9 (the installers can be found in our favorite warez forums) :D

4. Run VMWare Unlocker 1.1.0 (download from http ://goo.gl/oHx8k) (REMEMBER to close VMWare Workstation before):
    Run "unlock-all-v110/windows/install.cmd" (see unlock-all-v110/readme.txt for more info and other options)

5. Create a new virtual machine for the Mac OS X 10.7 Lion (64 bit) with CD/DVD Settings pointing to the Setup.iso

6. Install Mac OS X 10.7 Lion inside the virtual machine (REMEMBER to format the disk with Disk Utilities during the installation)

7. Install VMWare tools using darwin.iso that came with the unlocker (Mount the darwin.iso file for the virtual machine and then in the MacOSX, go to Desktop->Finder->Preferences, check CDs, DVDs, and iPods to see the iso content on the desktop; also check Hard disks, External disks, Connected servers in order to see shared folders, USB storage disks, ...); You may need to restart or logout/login.

8. That's all.

NOTE:

1) Lastest darwin.iso with VMWare Tools can be found at
    - http ://softwareupdate.vmware.com/cds/vmw-desktop/fusion/: browse to get "com.vmware.fusion.tools.darwin.zip.tar", extract to get darwin.iso and then mount to install

2) https ://developer.apple.com/downloads/ is the place to download Xcode (latest version, previous versions) and others for developers. Just login with a free developer account.

3) This tutorial is still valid for Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.

4) For Mac OS X Leopard 10.5 and Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6, you don't need to find "InstallESD.dmg", just convert the original "DMG" (>6GB) to iso format using dmg2img.

5) Always use Retail DVD or Installer otherwise you may not be able to boot the VM.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. RikRoger

RikRoger MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2013
    g8!!! Thanks!!!!

Working fine!!!!
    :worthy: good work!!!
    thanks a lot!!!
    god bless u!!!:)

3. cyberbot

cyberbot MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2011
    thank you working fine, however can't install apps to this,
    any suggestions why ?

4. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    As if?? What is the error??

I have successfully installed & used VLC, Tuxera NTFS on my OSX ML VM.

5. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    You don't provide any error details, we cannot help.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. SubaruSVX

SubaruSVX MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2010
    No Sound

It worked but I'm not getting any sound :\

7. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    For Mac OS X 10.7, 10.8, sound should be working well.
    For Mac OS X 10.5, 10.6, be default, VMWare doesn't support sound.

In any case, you need to add a sound device and install VMWare tools correctly. (You may need to restart, turn off/turn on again). Sometimes, you may forget increasing the sound volume :D

You can also try to install a third-party driver from http ://vmsvga2.sourceforge.net/.

8. Bat Man

Bat Man MDL Novice

Dec 31, 2012
    well i have installed Mountain Lion as you guys gave it in the instructions but when i want to plug the usb in the host i mean in the main machine running with windows 7 ...... the usb pendrive is not getting detected in the VMware Workstation

can any body help me to resolve this issue????

9. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Did you install Darwin tools (from Fusion)?

10. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    You need to install VMware Tools from darwin.iso file

AND

add and enable USB Controller (from Vmware Settings).

11. Bat Man

Bat Man MDL Novice

Dec 31, 2012
    ok i have followed you instruction ...but the thing is amn trying toi make bootable mountain lion pen drive but when am trying to make it ny using the Unibeast Method as per the tonymacx86 site... am unable to do it.

can any body provide me a valid iso image for Snow Leopard or Mountain Lion????

12. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    there is a way to bypass the checks of Unibeast (withnoidea) tool
    not that i would know how but its documented at insanelymac (dont bother asking in tonymac or u will be banned for using distro or piracy)

13. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    You can find installer for Mac OS X (*.dmg), then convert *.dmg to iso as in my tutorial. After that, you can use a disk burner to burn *.iso file.

Where to find *.dmg. Torrent sites and warez forums have a lot :D mydegitalllife doesn't have.

14. brtrj

brtrj MDL Novice

May 5, 2013
    10.7 in vmware workstation

can you help me install 10.7x fusion disk image on a vmware worstation
    I have to use it for my college project. and I don't have a Mac.
    The files i have got has many .vmdk files and a .vmx file.
    I tried to install normally and change the guest os settings, It doesn't seem to work. I tried installing darwin OS. Even then i am not getting the option for mac guest OS in settings. I have to start my project pretty soon. I am stuck at start:(

Thanks in advance.

15. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    #16 Mutagen, May 6, 2013
    Last edited: May 6, 2013
    The first post in this thread is pretty clear. If it isn't, then you are probably new to VMware. If so, spent some time reading about it. Post the error messages you see. Do you have hardware (host OS) that is up to the task? You can't learn this in a day. But if you have a desire to learn, many here can get you going. Also, torrents and Youtube can assist as well. Oh wait! Fusion is the Mac version of VMware. You can't run Fusion on a PC. Again, follow the first post - it does work.

16. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    The files you have maybe a preinstalled MacOSX image or not. Can you confirm?

In case of MacOSX image, this preinstalled MacOSX may come with some settings which are not compatible with your VMware.

17. brtrj

brtrj MDL Novice

May 5, 2013
    #18 brtrj, May 6, 2013
    Last edited: May 6, 2013
    Hey thank you guys for a quick reply.

It does have MacOSX preinstalled. Also has Software for a compiler and run time for two other OS.Also some toolchains and utilities for intel LinkSys .
    Would the compatibility to the settings change if i have a different version of VMWare. Cause i can get hold of a different version.

cheers :)

18. brtrj

brtrj MDL Novice

May 5, 2013
    Yeah I am new to VMWare.I think my hardware is alright.It has intel i7 quadcore and 8gb ram.When trying to resume the virtual machine it gives the following error.
    "While This virtual machine can run only on an Apple computer.The Apple SMC device is not available."
    It also says you have a correctable error while restoring virtual machine state from a file.

Could you please direct me where to learn how to do it.

cheers

19. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    If your computer is a PC, you must install VMware Workstation (or another PC compatible virtualization package). If your computer is a MacIntosh, then you would install VMware Fusion. It looks like you are attempting to install Mac software directly on a PC. Once you have your computer setup with a compatible environment, you can then proceed to installing the virtual machines of your choice. Go to the VMware site to view which of their programs runs on your hardware.