[Tutorial] Intel Turbo Memory with Windows 10 upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Kouryu, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    I'm pleased to announce Turbo Memory still works in Windows 10. The upgrade process doesn't get rid of the drivers, but the caching functions are disabled and cannot be reenabled. You can fix this with some work though...

1) Do your Windows 10 upgrade like usual for any other PC. DO NOT uninstall the Turbo Memory drivers and Matrix Storage drivers in Windows 7 before the upgrade!!!
    2) Check Device Manager, and you should see the Matrix Storage driver is still used and there should still be a Turbo Memory storage adapter. I can't verify if IMD-0 still exists or not because I a 4GB module, which doesn't offer the ReadyBoost feature (I never could make it work), and my other laptop that has the 2GB module is dead.
    3) Look for the shortcuts to the Turbo Memory utilities in the Start menu. You will need to back them up. Right click on the shortcut, and click on "Open file location", and you should have direct access to the Start menu folder where these shortcuts are stored. Copy the entire folder. Leave the File Explorer window open, you will need to copy this folder back later.
    4) Reinstall the Turbo Memory drivers while the existing install is still in place, using integrated driver hack method only (details, original thread). DO NOT uninstall the drivers!!! DO NOT reboot at end of installation!!!
    5) Only the Matrix Storage drivers should have reinstalled. Now, you need to run the the Turbo Memory driver installer again, but in compatibility mode. Right click on the setup.exe file, click Properties. Click the Compatibilty tab, then enable Windows 7 compatibility mode.
    6) Run the Turbo Memory driver installer in compatibility mode. Install will fail with an error. DON'T PANIC! This is normal! After the installer closes due to failure, copy the shortcuts & folder you had backed up for the Turbo Memory utilities back into the Start menu.
    7) Reboot. Launch the Turbo Memory Control Panel and you should see ReadyDrive enabled. ReadyBoost might be enabled too, but I can't verify this personally as I don't have it. The Turbo Memory Dashboard (4GB+ modules only) should also work and all the apps you had previously cached should still show up.

Again, I got it to work by upgrading Windows 7 to 10. I did not do a clean install. I seriously doubt this will work with a clean install as the driver installer must register many things in the Registry. These instructions are just to reinitialize the caching functions. I used only the hacked drivers I have made a couple of years ago which meant these drivers are not only the latest/last compatible with Turbo Memory, but also compatible with "Advanced Format" 4K sector HDDs. Details about this driver hack can be found here: http://forums.mydigitallife.net/thr...Advanced-Format-HDD-in-Windows-7-**SOLUTION**