TV Series I Like and Recommend

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Katzenfreund, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    The idea of this thread is that members name the TV Series they like, preferably with a brief mention of what they’re about, which would act as tips for others.

As for me, while as a youngster I liked fast action and superheroes, now I prefer more every day life cop stories with contrasting characters, logical deduction as to “who-dun-it” and the occasional twist. And of course, not too much violence and grizzly scenes.

So, based on the above specs, my current favorites are:

Foyle's War (mild but clever cop in wartime UK, my top favorite)
    A Touch of Frost (old fashioned English cop)
    Inspector Morse (classic English cop)
    Inspector George Gently (English cop with strong accent)
    Elementary (American style modern Sherlock Holmes)
    Monk (American private "Defective Detective", with humor though sometimes exaggerated)
    Get Smart (1965 - 70) (US, secret agent satire, hilarious)

2. BrianCohen

BrianCohen Guest

#2 BrianCohen, Oct 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2016
    The Beiderbecke Trilogy written by Alan Plater. ran from 1985 to 1988. i watched at time of broadcast, recent purchased on dvd.

"Each serial centres on schoolteachers Trevor Chaplin (James Bolam) and Jill Swinburne (Barbara Flynn) who work at a rundown comprehensive school in Leeds. Woodwork teacher Trevor enjoys football and jazz music while English teacher Jill is a political activist concerned with saving the environment."

note - on the Hannibal dvd directors commentary, Ridley Scott said it isnt all about action and car chases etc, you have to make the scenes where not much is happening interesting. Beiderbecke does that perfectly.

3. BrianCohen

BrianCohen Guest

#3 BrianCohen, Oct 4, 2016
    Luther

english cop drama starring Idris Elba as DCI John Luther. watch out for the exquisite Alice Morgan played by Ruth Wilson. she is one of screens greatest baddies. look for Justin Ripley, a really great character.

that reminds me, i must buy series 4 :)

4. BrianCohen

BrianCohen Guest

#4 BrianCohen, Oct 4, 2016
    Open All Hours classic BBC comedy written by Roy Clarke.

story of Arkwright, a penny pinching tightwad shopkeeper with a stammer who could sell sand to arabs in the north of england and his nephew Granville, played by David Jason and Nurse Gladys Emmanuel, arkwrights love interest.

quote -
    Arkwright - what would you recommend for a love bite?
    Nurse Gladys - your own teeth :laie:

5. bobfather

bobfather MDL Novice

Sep 24, 2014
    For police series:

The Wire - No introduction needed. Probably the gold standard for cop dramas.
    The Shield - Equally excellent in different ways to The Wire. The choices the "good guys" make are a lot more "gray" than the characters in The Wire, which makes them all the more interesting.

I like sci-fi, so my pick would be:

The Expanse - Based on really solid hard-sci-fi books. No warp drives and teleporters here. Everything is Newtonian, trips take weeks, and even a pebble can be deadly if it's accelerated to 60% of the speed of light...

6. BrianCohen

BrianCohen Guest

#6 BrianCohen, Oct 4, 2016
    Sherlock, with Benedict Cucumber Patch(on which Elementary is based i believe). very good modern interpretation. Mark Gatiss as Mycroft is a treat.

the Granada TV series from 1984 to 1994
    , 41 episodes with Jeremy Brett as Holmes will forever be the Only Sherlock Holmes. Mycroft Holmes is played by Charles Gray(the rocky horror show and bond villan Ernst Stavro Blofeld) only appears in a few episodes, but steals the show when he appears with Brett.

the less said about the hollywood film with downey junior the better :mad:

7. BrianCohen

BrianCohen Guest

#7 BrianCohen, Oct 4, 2016
    It Ain't Half Hot Mum another BBC classic.

"Set during the Second World War (in the period just after the German surrender when the Allies were trying to finish the war by defeating Japan in Asia), the show focuses on a group of British soldiers of the Concert Party stationed at the Royal Artillery Depot in Deolali, India, where soldiers were kept before being sent to fight at the front lines".

men stationed at Deolali for long periods were said to get the Deolali Tap, ie they went mad. this is where the saying "doolally" comes from when we think people are mad.

much maligned by the politically correct brigade as racist when many of them havnt seen it.

8. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    #8 JFKI, Oct 4, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    I have one which I consider my "soap opera" only because near the beginning of all the series the main character's ( Leroy Jethro Gibbs ) back story is just so similar ( not identical ) to my early life. There was nearly a year of episodes in sequence where I was getting paranoid thinking "how the F did they know what I did so long ago".
    Since then there have been two spin offs, and I try to watch all 3 as soon as they are downloaded.

Those are in order NCIS, NCIS Los Angeles, and NCIS New Orleans.
    I have them all archived on a hard drive including the first two episodes which spun off from JAG.
    NCIS is in season 14, NCIS LA is in season 8, and NCIS NO is in season 3.

NCIS=Naval Criminal Investigative Service
    JAG=Judge Advocate General

Edit to add with sorrow:
    http://b2.ifrm.com/309/115/0/p700959/1280_gary_glasberg_ncis_tribute.jpg

9. BrianCohen

BrianCohen Guest

#9 BrianCohen, Oct 4, 2016
    you were a square basher :D

were you ever considered a modern art masterpiece? :laie:

10. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    If you like classic authors, then Agatha Christie's Poirot is always worth watching. Social often high class environment, contrasting characters, confusing clues.

11. °ツ

°ツ MDL Addicted

Jun 8, 2014
    Don't need to mention what they are about, everyone should be already knowing it...

Seinfeld
    Frasier
    Everybody Loves Raymond
    Two and ½ Men
    Fawlty Towers
    Mr Bean

etc etc

12. Al_Gore_Internet_Inventor

Mar 18, 2014

Anyone needing absolute proof that God does not exist, here it is. Had God existed, there would be a hell of a lot more than a miserly 12 episodes of Fawlty Towers.

13. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    :eek: As expected, a quite embarrassing to read collection... you want to try intelligent TV? (NO, you do not have to!)

MrRobot
    Shameless
    Fleabag
    Fargo
    True Detective
    Billions

Finished, available on torrent:
    QI
    Top Gear
    Sons of Anarchy
    3rd Rock from the sun
    History of the US (Oliver Stone)
    One foot in the grave
    Ali G
    Anything by David Attenborough

The first few seasons of
    Big Bang THeory
    Game of Thrones
    Two and a half men

14. I really love: Dexter, House, True Detective (Season 1 only), Mr. Robot,...
    Someone told me I have to look this Fargo, it is really so nice?

15. Leslie_Coffelt

Leslie_Coffelt MDL Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Not sure if anyone is interested in BBC satire, but I found Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister to be delightful.

16. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    More than delightful, they were masterpieces of intelligent satire and insight into government operation.

Also a source of political gems, like:
    "Clarifications are not for making yourself clear, they are for putting yourself in the clear."

17. alphareign

alphareign MDL Novice

Mar 27, 2016
    #17 alphareign, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    Turn: Washingtons Spies
    Turn is a period drama about the Culper (Culpepper) spy ring which was a spy ring formed by one General George Washington during the American Revolutionary war. Its purpose was to provide military intelligence to the thirteen colonies regarding British military activity.

Continuum
    Continuum is about a police officer who chases criminals who escape from an execution, through time instead of space.

18. BrianCohen

BrianCohen Guest

Poirot good too :)

19. BrianCohen

BrianCohen Guest

#19 BrianCohen, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2016
    anything by Professor Jim Al-Khalili, mostly on the BBC.

he has the same sort of enthusiasm as David Attenborough. highly recommended. :)

20. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...