Tv Tuner card Questions. i have a few for you all.

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by kaos420, Dec 12, 2011.

1. kaos420

kaos420 MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    ok so basically i have windows 7 64bit ultimate running on a emachine. the desktop has a open pci slot. i already have my home network all set. so i am able to stream movies to either one of 2 xbox 360's i have setup in my home. I have cable internet. my though here is.

1. is it possible if say i canceled my cable gave the box back. but kept the internet. (which is cable) to unscramble the signal with a tv tuner? all i care about is hd aspect. from what i read i would need a qam tuner? would i be able to unscramble payper view items like hbo?if not thats ok i can find my shows.

2. is it even possible with cable canceled to do so? what card would i need? i see some for cheap like 60 bucks. also see then for hundreds of dollars. i wanna do this with media center. so having a remote wouldn't matter for some i see with ir ports. can anyone shed light on this? i mean like i said as long as i get all the channels. except hbo max stuff like that it would be fine. is it possible?

2. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    The disconnect the cable then hang a specific tag on that connection.....

so the Answer is NO

3. kaos420

Jul 30, 2009
    it wouldn't be disconnected though cause my internet and cable come down same line. i would just give the box back. the box here is what unscrambles the signal. i would be keeping the net side.

4. jeeyoou

jeeyoou MDL Novice

Dec 18, 2011
    Connect a digital CATV tuner to your coax feeding the internet modem. Do you see any channels? I think not. If yes, then you can get those channels.

Watch TV over internet instead. Available channels are increasing all the time.

5. comtech

comtech MDL Novice

Dec 2, 2011
    when you cancel cable..they'll put a filter on the line to block tv..easily removed..going on 5yrs like that

6. kaos420

Jul 30, 2009
    see thats what i am talking about. lol i have access to the box where they all tie in. just wondering if i could unscramble like a box with pc card.

7. kaos420

Jul 30, 2009
    ok but i would still need a tuner card. i wanna do it through my media center . the whole pint of my idea.

8. chompi

chompi MDL Member

Nov 17, 2010
    #8 chompi, Jan 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
    I dont know what size of monitor you have, maybe is a good idea to change and get a monitor with TV tuner all at once. thas how i solve my problem. no cards or adapters this tuner is good for analog or digital channels. all i spend was 200.00 (some tuners are very expensive) my is a samsung 22 inches, model T22A350. full 1080,PIP. hdme inputs, ntsc, atsc, qam digital tuner and many more goodies. My all monitor only 22 sold for 80.00. Like you i was looking for a card or adapter without any look.By the way if you are living far from tv stations you have to install an outside good antenna that reach far..i am going to order one for 50 miles.