Two Identical Pictures On Welcome Screen

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Davy49, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Davy49

Davy49 MDL Junior Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Hi,
    I've seen this issue discussed elsewhere in different message board's, actually I had the same issue on my 'main' computer that's running windows 10 tech. preview version 9926. I was able to get rid of the duplicate account picture by doing this:
    How to-Go to search type local security policy.

click-local policies/click-security options/ Scroll down /click-Interactive logon:Do not display last user name click-Enable-ok Restart pc.
    This worked on my 'main' computer..but I can't get to work on the computer (ASUS T100-TA - Transformer Book) that I'm typing this message on. When I try and get into area that's described in the body of this message, I'm informed it doesn't exist. I can't for the life of me figure out why I can't perform the same procedure on this device that I did on my other computer ??
    David :confused:

2. SV0911

SV0911 MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2014
    Strange....

It works for me on my old asus 6730..

Did you typed :in the search dialog box: secpol.msc
    Note: Remember to type the .msc file extension, otherwise Windows 10 can't find it.

Greetings

3. Davy49

Davy49 MDL Junior Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Hi,
    Yes, I typed it in exactly like you mentioned..I find it rather strange also.
    David o_O

4. SV0911

SV0911 MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2014
    #4 SV0911, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
    David,

Did you checked in regedit for:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

dontdisplaylastusername keyword

Maybe you can put new keyword manually..?

REG_DWORD (32 bit)
    dontdisplaylastusername

Unbenannt.JPG

Greetings from Germany
    sv0911 (Stefan)

5. Davy49

Davy49 MDL Junior Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Hi SV0911,
    To be honest..I hadn't even thought about going into the registry, thanks for bring that method to my attention.
    David :worthy:

6. SV0911

SV0911 MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2014

You are very welcome... :)
    Hope it works for you!
    Stefan

7. Davy49

Davy49 MDL Junior Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Hi Stefan,
    I'll sure let you know if it does..thanks again.
    David ;)

8. Davy49

Davy49 MDL Junior Member

Nov 27, 2008
    #8 Davy49, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
    (OP)
    Hi Stefan,
    I told you I'd let you know..that entry was already in the registry, so all I simply had to do was change the value from 0 to 1 , it worked ! I think what concerns me more than anything is the fact that on the computer I'm typing this reply on, when I type : local security policy , I receive an error message that states " Windows cannot find 'local' . Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again ."
    Thanks,
    David :confused:

9. SV0911

SV0911 MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2014
    Hmmm.... I´m wondering, could it have to do with the windows group policy?
    Is your ASUS part of a homegroup? If you have Active Directory on your main computer then you don't need Secpol because you can use the GPMC (Group Policy Management Console) on the domain controller. For example, if you are checking or configuring security settings on a Windows computer (from win8 and further<) in a Workgroup or HomeGroup then you need the Local Security Editor - secpol.msc. Maybe thats the reason why "local" could not be found... ?!?

10. Davy49

Davy49 MDL Junior Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Hi Stefan,
    Well, I just thought I'd let you know..I got to the point that that I was starting to get rather frustrated with windows 10 tech. preview on my ASUS T100-TA computer. So I performed the rollback operation on it, it's running better already, I guess it just didn't like the preview version of windows. Thanks again for all of your help !
    David :biggrin: