Two minor issues with windows 10, Help is appreciated

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Madmaxeo, Oct 26, 2015.

  1. Madmaxeo

    Madmaxeo MDL Novice

    Oct 26, 2015
    8
    0
    0
    I have been having the first one since I installed windows 10 and the second I just noticed about a month and a half ago though it could have been a problem since the start.

    1. USB 3.0. Two of my devices, A G13 keypad and an F710 wireless controller (both logitech). When I start the PC if these items are plugged into USB 3.0 ports then they do not work until I unplug and then replug them back in. They work perfectly fine in USB 2.0 ports. The G13 uses special software and is always connected to the PC. The F710 is wireless and uses no special software. I have gone back and forth with Logitech and they keep telling me to do this and that with things that are only particular to one device and not the other. Nothing has worked so far and I believe it is an issue with my MB manufacturer and the chipset drivers but not sure.

    2. In windows explorer. When I right click on any of the quick access icons on the left of the explorer window it automatically closes the window. Basically I don't have any context menu options for the quick access icons because of this. I recently did a full virus scan and the SFC (?) scannow thing along with a few other command prompt commands and nothing worked nor did it find any errors. So I am at a loss as to why this happens.

    My system:
    Windows 10 pro
    i7 4930k (OC'd to 4.3 ghz) on an ASUS Rampage IV Black ed MB with 32 gb of Trident X RAM at 2133mhz 4x 8gb strips)
    A GTX 980
    A 840 pro SSD with my OS and 2 HDDs for games and such

    I hope someone can help.
    Thanks in advance!
     
  2. endbase

    endbase MDL Guru

    Aug 12, 2012
    3,902
    1,197
    120
    For The first problem I would check If there is a better and improved bios for your motherboard ! I have an asus ranger viii and had some problems with my usb also after bios upgrade everything is working fine now :tea:

    For the second problem I can't give an proper advice if your system is healty as you say it could be an system depending bug.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. odiebugs1

    odiebugs1 MDL Expert

    Jul 30, 2015
    1,390
    457
    60
    Your X79 chipset has absolutely nothing to do with USB 3.0. There's no reason to place them on a USB 3.0, would you put a Sata 1 HDD on a Sata 3 port, because it does nothing more than what the drive can deliver.

    Unless the newest UEFI has upgraded the USB 3.0 firmware, updating it will do nothing. But you should be on UEFI 0701, because 0603 did update USB and 0701 has a stability update.

    Asus does not post a USB 3.0 win 10 driver, so have you allowed windows to install it, and what driver does it have ?

    But in the end, these devices shouldn't be on a 3.0 port.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. dsbig

    dsbig MDL Senior Member

    Aug 3, 2009
    257
    22
    10
    #4 dsbig, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
    I agree with odiebug1.

    if you have a usb 2 device. it is best to use it on usb 2.

    usb 3 have compatibility issues. even some manufacturers will say not to use it on usb 3. and some device software will bring up message saying it as well.
     
  5. Madmaxeo

    Madmaxeo MDL Novice

    Oct 26, 2015
    8
    0
    0
    I forgot to mention that I do have the latest BIOS which is 0801. I also upgraded from that to a set of chipset drivers developed by a group people (can't remember who they are) because of this same issue with my USB 3.0. They apparently have another newer set of chipset drivers that supposedly work better but I have not been able to find them. They worked on chipset drivers for the ASUS boards primarily because it seems ASUS is not going to develop any updates for Windows 10 on the older boards like my X79.
     
  6. Madmaxeo

    Madmaxeo MDL Novice

    Oct 26, 2015
    8
    0
    0
    The reason they are in USB 3.0 is that I have no USB 2.0 ports available. Well at least one of them is plugged into a USB 3.0 port and the other sits comfortably in the last 2.0 port on the back of my machine. I did forget to mention that these devices worked fine in both Windows 8.1 and 7 while in USB 3.0 ports. Why wouldn't they as USB is backwards compatible so there is no reason not to be able to use a 3.0 port. Though I understand some devices have issues in 3.0, these devices did not until after my upgrade to win 10.

    Also my X79 has everything to do with USB 3.0 because USB 3.0 is not native to the 2011 platform and so is an "add-on" to the X79 chipset. I am on UEFI 0801 and have even flashed my BIOS to a newer one that is not ASUS official trying to get my USB 3.0 to work correctly. Regardless that newer (non ASUS) BIOS did help in other areas as it provided updated SATA drivers amongst other things that I didn't realize I needed at the time.
     
  7. odiebugs1

    odiebugs1 MDL Expert

    Jul 30, 2015
    1,390
    457
    60
    Are you serious, or joking, there's no chipset drivers and nobody made chipset drivers. Again, your chipset has nothing to do with the USB 3.0.

    There's no such thing as downloading chipset drivers for any Intel chipset, there's no drivers in any of the Intel chipset installers.

    Asus is not developing updates, LOL, sorry, but they never did and never will as they have nothing to do with the hardware on the Board. They only put the Motherboard together, they didn't make you chipset, Lan, USB, USB 3.0, Audio, Bluetooth, Sata controller, Memory controller, CPU, Memory.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. odiebugs1

    odiebugs1 MDL Expert

    Jul 30, 2015
    1,390
    457
    60
    There's no NON Asus UEFI, and the UEFI does not have any Sata drivers in it.

    You have 4 USB 2,0 and 6 3.0 on the back, but the 4 are full.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Madmaxeo

    Madmaxeo MDL Novice

    Oct 26, 2015
    8
    0
    0
    Ok, whatever you call them, chipset drivers or what not.... ASUS does release BIOS updates every so often (but apparently not for older boards) along with updated drivers for the pieces that go on their motherboards. I apologize if calling anything chipset drivers was wrong but I have heard it before and that is what I went with. TBH "Chipset drivers" is what most people I know use when referring to the specific software/drivers/what have you on the motherboard that require updates. In fact here is the file name of the set of drivers/updates that I got for my chipset (MB) off of OC.net: ASUS_RIVBE_WHQL_WIN10_LATEST_DRIVERS_BIOS_ASUS_INFO

    Either way regardless of what I said I am still having the same problems.

    Someone asked what driver I had for the USB 3.0 in my system and this is what I found in device manager:
    ASMedia USB3.0 eXtensible Host Controller
    Driver Provider: ASMedia Technology Inc
    Driver Date: 6/3/2015
    Driver version: 1.16.26.1

    I clicked on update drivers and it searched and said I have the latest drivers installed.
     
  10. Madmaxeo

    Madmaxeo MDL Novice

    Oct 26, 2015
    8
    0
    0
    It is a modded BIOS that works better than the latest one ASUS offers (the 0801).
    I didn't actually mean my UEFI provided the SATA drivers, I didn't think to explain myself further as I was in a rush.
    I know exactly what USB ports I have and yes all my USB 2.0 ports are taken up. Right now I have only one of those devices still plugged into a USB 3.0 port and that is the F710 wireless controller. I picked to leave that one in because I can unplug then re-plug the wifi dongle at the end of the USB extension to get it to work.

    But the point is that all my devices worked fine in the USB 3.0 ports in windows 7 and in windows 8. I did not have any problems with any of my USB 3.0 ports until I upgraded to windows 10.
    I am not going back either I like to many things about Win10 to go back. I am just trying to find a solution to something I believe should work fine in Win10 because it did in the previous OS versions. The odd thing is I have not really heard of anyone else having the same problems. My system checks out clean all the way. So why doesn't it work the it should?

    Though if this does not get fixed a solution may be just around the corner. If the Steam controller is USB 3.0 and it works fine then I would probably forget about this issue until it pops up again and annoys me until I remember.....
     
  11. Madmaxeo

    Madmaxeo MDL Novice

    Oct 26, 2015
    8
    0
    0
    I finally received an email from ASUS and here is their response:
    It's interesting that they call them chipset drivers also.....
     
  12. odiebugs1

    odiebugs1 MDL Expert

    Jul 30, 2015
    1,390
    457
    60
    #13 odiebugs1, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    That's hilarious, someone should let them know that your patsburg chipset has had identity support with windows 10 from January of this year and your USB 3.0 from July. Waiting for :rofl6:


    Don't ever ask them when will the SMBus host get a driver. :laie:

    What driver do you have now for 3.0 ? So what was modded in UEFI ?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Madmaxeo

    Madmaxeo MDL Novice

    Oct 26, 2015
    8
    0
    0
    I just mentioned this like 3 posts ago....
    I have no idea what was modded in the BIOS. It came highly recommended and I really wanted to get rid of this USB 3.0 problem.
     
  14. odiebugs1

    odiebugs1 MDL Expert

    Jul 30, 2015
    1,390
    457
    60
    #15 odiebugs1, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    DL the ASM-104 - 1.16.28.1 WHQL drivers, and extract the rar. You will need to remove the keyboard and mouse and place them on USB 2.0 to do most of these tips, then place them back on 3.0 to check and try two times with two reboots for each tip. Now go to control panel - programs- and uninstall the Asmedia USB host controller, reboot, and now run the new driver installer you DL, reboot and try the 3.0 ports.

    You can go into the UEFI, go to Advanced mode and change the USB 3.0 to legacy disabled and go to USB 3.0 battery charging and set Enabled.

    Go to power options in control panel and go to your power setting, go advanced and go to PCI-E and set to Link state power- OFF

    Go to devise MGR and go to all of the USB Root Hubs and find each hub that has a Asmedia driver, then go to Power MGNT tab and uncheck Allow PC to turn off.

    P.S. I have the same USB, I have two, one Intel and one Asmedia but same as yours and no problems.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. Letsplaywindows10

    Letsplaywindows10 MDL Novice

    Aug 26, 2015
    1
    0
    0
    Unplug one of the USB 2.0 ports, replace with USB hub, plug everything into hub, then rejoice.

    "Do not use an axe to kill a fly"

    "Do drop mic & moonwalk off stage."
     
  16. Madmaxeo

    Madmaxeo MDL Novice

    Oct 26, 2015
    8
    0
    0
    Thanks.
    First, I believe the mouse and keyboard ports are USB 2.0 ports.
    I tried it the easy way by going into Device manager and clicking update driver software. It updated the drivers (I double checked the versions), but it did not fix my issue. I did all the tips (though they were already set except for the "Allow PC to turn off" on, so I changed it and it did not work either.

    I will follow your directions exactly either tomorrow or on Thursday when I have the time. Hopefully it will work :)