Two monitors. Use one at the time.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by pettergulbra, Jan 14, 2011.

1. pettergulbra

pettergulbra MDL Novice

Nov 28, 2009
    Hi

I use my pc on a normal pc monitor (LCD vi VGA), and on my TV (LCD via HDMI).

Both of the are connected at the same time. But is it possible to use one at the time. The same picture at both of them.

I have tried to clone the picture, but then the resulotion gets wrong on the TV.

Is there a way to do this.

My mainboard has HD4200 onboard, and I use this.

Kindly

Petter

2. w7pro

w7pro MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2010
    On Windows 7, if you right click on the desktop and go to "screen resolution," you should see both screens detected as monitors. From there, you can customize how you want your display to be viewed as.

-- Ryan
    Windows Outreach Team

3. pettergulbra

pettergulbra MDL Novice

Nov 28, 2009
    I know where to applay the settings.. But I want to use one screen at the time. Even if both screens are connected at the same time. And with the screens respective resolution.

kindly Petter

4. Cim

Cim MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2009
    #4 Cim, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
    There should be the option in the Screen Resolution settings to either show desktop only on monitor 1 or 2 (this should be what your looking for), clone the image to both screens or extend the desktop across both monitors.

If you want to use the computer monitor at the same time as the TV, you need to set the "Extend these displays" option. In Clone mode your resolution will be limited to that of the lowest one that your monitors support.

There's also a shortcut in Windows 7 to change this. Hold down the Windows key and press "P". All this does is change the setting described above though.

5. pettergulbra

pettergulbra MDL Novice

Nov 28, 2009
    Ok, so there is no way to have to monitors connected at the same time. And use just one at the time. Thats to bad.

The I just have to disconnect the VGA and the connect if I have to use it.. Its a bommer.. But yeah yeah.... MS can`t be perfect.

It should have been possible to have the same picture on both monitores. When it is possible to extend. It uses different in that mode, so why not in "clone" with desktop on both monitores...

But thanks for the help.. Tried UltraMon to.. But no help there eather.

Kindly

Petter

6. fdjc

fdjc MDL Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Whats your graphics card?

I use nVidia control panel to have same image on both of mine but different resolutions (TV has its native as does my 24" tft).

Windows 7 does work this way too but I have always used the nVidia control panel but idk why lol